BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my new RPI Oil Cooler (quality looks great) and I was wondering why my oil temp fluctuates so much even sitting at a red light. I noticed it would move back a forth (small amount) almost like a pendulum on a grandfather clock, is that normal?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I haven't noticed that on my car. Let me check with Eloy and get back to you guys.

Reactions: caliboy951

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have the RPi oil cooler and haven't seen this before.

Although on start ups after the car was previously driven within a short amount of time like 20 min or so I have seen the temp go up then back down a tad bit as the car settles down from the restart. I'm assuming since the car has cooled down since sitting. It happened on my OEM oil cooler too.

I wouldn't worry about it honestly.

T

·
0 Posts
I have found that your oil pressure sensor needs to be recalibrated once this cooler is installed.

This cooler works incredibly well, but works almost too well in colder climates such as michigan.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Never had this issue and never had to recalibrate anything.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
From Eloy:

"Maybe there is not enough oil. Or bad sensor. The oil cooler can' cause that. The reading is sent from the sensor and there is no way the temperature can change back and forth that fast. If it's slight it could be the thermostat opening and the cooler cooling it faster than stock."

·
Registered
629 Posts
Speak of the devil. I just had my oil pressure switch/sensor changed out yesterday. I'll check to see if that changed the bouncing temp needle in the next day or too. It's very cheap 25 bucks from ecs. Goes right on the oil filter housing.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Mike - I haven't had this issue either. No fluctuation at all when sitting at idle.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,412 Posts
Mike - I haven't had this issue either. No fluctuation at all when sitting at idle.
Mike...I'm pretty much the same as Jones with my RPi oil cooler. No fluctuations at all, when I'm bumper to dumper, stuck on The 5.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts