BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, at my last oil change a visible sparkle was noticed in the oil filter residual oil. Car is at 60k with full service history. Whilst I drive the car in a spirited manner I have not raced or tracked it and any mods are arguably cosmetic only (scoops). Anyway there was no argument, all signs pointed at a change of rod bearings.

A great Indy who I get to do all my work switched them out. I have claimed on the warrenty but as is the generally accepted UK system, owner pays first and warranty compensates once parts have been inspected. (I'm awaiting the report).

Anyway, I am posting because of the peace of mind one feels having changed the rod bearings! It is so silly, I have so much more confidence and pleasure in the car now. Not that it was lacking before but now I am really enjoying the car. I wonder when rod bearings will be declared a serviceable item in the S85 engine?

So if your car is running fine, with no symptoms (including visual, which is sometimes too late anyway) but is on 50-60k, I would recommend new bearings. New intakes or tunes or wheels or exhaust on a V10 with questionable bearings is IMO a false economy. Get the bearings done first then bling, both you and the beast will feel amazing afterwards!

As a slight aside I did have a very very slight and barely noticible vibration at approx 1500 and 4500 rpm before the change. All smooth through the whole range now. Amazing what new bearings, spark plugs and oil does!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the old bearings?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wife loves it when I lay oily engine parts out on the dining table!

Anyway 1-5 top row, 6-10 bottom, counting both rows from the left. Bearings 5&7 are the worst.
Scratches are because the old bolts and bearings are in bags together.

Attachments

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,257 Posts
Congrats! Replacing them is cheap cheap money.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're all blowing this way out of proportion. :S
I see your point completely and all forum conversation must be based on personal opinion. My personal experience is based on a full dealer service history over 60k miles. I was only saying to a friend yesterday I must have had a set of Friday afternoon bearings!

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I see your point completely and all forum conversation must be based on personal opinion. My personal experience is based on a full dealer service history over 60k miles. I was only saying to a friend yesterday I must have had a set of Friday afternoon bearings!
They must have only built S85s on Friday afternoons! Glad it's all better Ben. Peace of mind is worth more than any mod.

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,257 Posts
Reactions: tonyd2ad

·
Registered
687 Posts
The wife loves it when I lay oily engine parts out on the dining table!

Anyway 1-5 top row, 6-10 bottom, counting both rows from the left. Bearings 5&7 are the worst.
Scratches are because the old bolts and bearings are in bags together.
Based on the pictures we see in the forum, I thought that was how our bearing were supposed to look! ouich

Nice job on changing them and I am planning on considering mine a 50,000 mile item if they make it that far :hihi:
:cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm pushing 90k on the original bearings. Late October I'm scheduled to change them out.
I have to agree every sort of preventative maintenance leaves me more confident in the car.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm pushing 90k on the original bearings. Late October I'm scheduled to change them out.
I have to agree every sort of preventative maintenance leaves me more confident in the car.
I can't wait to see pictures of your bearings.. :p

Borrowed time, my friend. :byebye:

-b.

·
Registered
759 Posts
How much are you expecting to pay? (Ignore if this is hijacking)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Im assuming if you have an 06 and you replace the bearings and keep the stock vanos pump that would be pointless? Im just having a hard time justifying $2k for a measly pump.

·
Registered
464 Posts
We haven't seen a set of rod bearings come out looking good. You were wise to do this before more serious damage occured. BTW, did you happen to run the test to check the VANOS solenoids? I'm curious what your numbers were.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No I did not have the VANOS solenoids checked prior to this. However I did have the occasional VANOS buzz but since the bearing change and 2 oil changes in 500 miles the VANOS is now completely quiet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts