BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went to Holland to pick up my new Ringtoy. It's a '93 E36 M3 coupe, 170k km, sunroof, no airco.

It has a fair amount of dents and scratches, and there are quite some parts that are not how they are supposed to be, e.g. one rear spring is yellow, the other is black.

Anyway, it was rather cheap, and I'll be breaking down my other E36, and sell out what I don't need, and transfer what's better on the other E36.

Oh yeah, and we drove the car home 220 km on carboard license plates hiha

By the way, that's 38 cylinders and 1639 stock HP on the driveway. The E46 is not mine however...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the car needs homologation for Belgium first, and this can not be done before June 4th. After that, I need to go to the technical checkup, and then I can get a license plate (a metal one :D ).

You remember what I told you about the rules concerning brakes etc in Belgium. That means I can't start making it track-ready before the homologation/technical checkup thing is done.

I think about making it all the way I want it at once, and then start tracking it. Only the mods might take over a month...

And the weather doesn't look too good for Sunday indeed...

·
Banned
1,120 Posts
Well, the car needs homologation for Belgium first, and this can not be done before June 4th. After that, I need to go to the technical checkup, and then I can get a license plate (a metal one :D ).

You remember what I told you about the rules concerning brakes etc in Belgium. That means I can't start making it track-ready before the homologation/technical checkup thing is done.

I think about making it all the way I want it at once, and then start tracking it. Only the mods might take over a month...

And the weather doesn't look too good for Sunday indeed...
I understand what you mean, the Homologation = TUeV in Germany. I will have to have all the mods on my GT registered leagally so the car will maintain registration in Luxembourg and be fully insured.

The weather sure looks BAD though for the weekend grrrrrrr

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ Fart: e.g. every adaptation to the brake system is illegal in Belgium, even non OEM brake pads are forbidden...
Full roll cage is not allowed.
Engine modifications are not allowed (not even software)

Will have to work around that... What they don't see, is per definition allowed :D. And the brakes will be switched for the yearly technical checkup.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
you can't imagine how many times I've checked the weather forecast for the ring area in the last few days...

...anyway, it's evolving. It looks like it may be scattered thunderstorms now. Earlier forecasts showed the thunderstorms only Friday/Saturday, and scattered showers Sunday, but the storm front must be slowing if this is now expected into Sunday...

I'll probably go anyway, a few showers, what the heck, this will hopefully discourage some of the crowd...

my wife, uh, not happy, maybe I'll bring my son...

·
Banned
1,120 Posts
you can't imagine how many times I've checked the weather forecast for the ring area in the last few days...

...anyway, it's evolving. It looks like it may be scattered thunderstorms now. Earlier forecasts showed the thunderstorms only Friday/Saturday, and scattered showers Sunday, but the storm front must be slowing if this is now expected into Sunday...

I'll probably go anyway, a few showers, what the heck, this will hopefully discourage some of the crowd...

my wife, uh, not happy, maybe I'll bring my son...
Rain or shine, I WILL BE THERE SUNDAY :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys, I'm not sure I can make it... My car has a braking problem. The car pulls rather strong to the left while braking. It would be very dangerous to drive it on the Ring like this. We'll try to fix it in the afternoon.

And I still don't have brake pads. If the other issue is fixed, I'll give Ring Racing a call to check if they have race brake pads for the M5 on stock. If so, I'll go there immediately when we arrive, to put the pads on. If not, I'll have to cancel the trip.

I cannot believe I just received a bill of 3000 euros from the $tealer yesterday, and my car is not Ring-ready... I'm completely p*ssed off right now!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
WOW....3K what did you have them do to it?

...well, I'm going, I'm putting shelves together for the little lady today, and tax work on Monday, so tomorrow is for me - -

F R I T S - - let me know if you want to ride down with me, and I'll come get ya

·
Banned
1,120 Posts
Guys, I'm not sure I can make it... My car has a braking problem. The car pulls rather strong to the left while braking. It would be very dangerous to drive it on the Ring like this. We'll try to fix it in the afternoon.

And I still don't have brake pads. If the other issue is fixed, I'll give Ring Racing a call to check if they have race brake pads for the M5 on stock. If so, I'll go there immediately when we arrive, to put the pads on. If not, I'll have to cancel the trip.

I cannot believe I just received a bill of 3000 euros from the $tealer yesterday, and my car is not Ring-ready... I'm completely p*ssed off right now!
DUDE...................................................

BE THERE,, you can take my greem hell for a lap.h

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We fixed the car!!!!

I'll be there, 100% sure now!!!

Don't know exactly what the problem with the brakes was. First, we pumped some brake fluid out of the front right calliper. Then I did a test, and the car didn't pull to the left that much anymore, only a very slight bit (tested it by braking quite hard from 140 -> 80 with no hands on the steering wheel).

The brake fluid was almost black... (brake fluid was last changed a little more than 1 year ago) I got a bottle of brake fluid, and flushed the system.

I called Ring Racing, and they were 90% sure they had front race pads for the M5 on stock. They didn't have time to check it, because they were too busy with a VLN race. Anyway, 90% is enough.

So, tomorrow morning, 8 AM, I leave in Belgium. Should arrive around 10 AM in Nurburg. Straight to Ring Racing for the pads, install them, 11 AM at the Ring!
Got a spare set of rear pads in the trunk, the rears are only halfway, but you never know. I don't think the extra weight of these pads will slow me down too much :D

Thanks for the kind words guys! Much appreciated.

About the 3k... Well, radiator, brake disks front and rear (installed myself), inspection II, new shifter (545 shortshifter ;) ), new shoft knob, new handbrake handle, replaced 1 PDC sensor, replaced a part for the interior circulation. That's about it...
I mailed BMW Belgium that I think it is inacceptable that I get a 3K repair bill, and still have to fix the car myself to be able to go to the Ring. I've had a bunch of other problems with this dealer, and I'll never go there again. Waiting for the response of BMW Belgium before I pay the bill...

See you tomorrow guys!

1 - 20 of 374 Posts