BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I gave up! I have been assembling all the parts to turn my '00 into a Sirius satellite radio player. New Mark IV, new 16:9, new radio, Sirius unit, antena, and all the connecting wires.

I set yesterday aside to do the mod. The nav swap was pretty painless, thanks to bimmernav. Then came the new radio and the Sirius unit. There is no good information anywhere on which wire goes where. There is even 3 loose wires that I am supposed to put in a 12 wire loom for connection, but it doesn't say which sequence, or where they are supposed to plug into. In another post, ard shows the install of the Satellite, but with minimal radio pics. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49715

The issue I may be having is the fact that I have a '00 CD player. I'm not sure how to deal with it, and there really isn't any info on bimmernav, m5world, and anywhere else I've looked. I put it all back together with the new nav, and old radio.

Then, I called my dealer yesterday afternoon, and booked an appointment for tomorrow to get the satellite and radio installed
. I really wanted to get this done myself, but without the proper instructions, I believe I'm screwed.

Anyone have any suggestions to get up and running before my dealer appointment tomorrow?

Thanks in advance, Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
BrianS said:
I gave up! I have been assembling all the parts to turn my '00 into a Sirius satellite radio player. New Mark IV, new 16:9, new radio, Sirius unit, antena, and all the connecting wires.

I set yesterday aside to do the mod. The nav swap was pretty painless, thanks to bimmernav. Then came the new radio and the Sirius unit. There is no good information anywhere on which wire goes where. There is even 3 loose wires that I am supposed to put in a 12 wire loom for connection, but it doesn't say which sequence, or where they are supposed to plug into. In another post, ard shows the install of the Satellite, but with minimal radio pics. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49715

The issue I may be having is the fact that I have a '00 CD player. I'm not sure how to deal with it, and there really isn't any info on bimmernav, m5world, and anywhere else I've looked. I put it all back together with the new nav, and old radio.

Then, I called my dealer yesterday afternoon, and booked an appointment for tomorrow to get the satellite and radio installed
. I really wanted to get this done myself, but without the proper instructions, I believe I'm screwed.

Anyone have any suggestions to get up and running before my dealer appointment tomorrow?

Thanks in advance, Brian

Hey Brian-

Bummer. As I understand your post, you've completed the Nav and display, and just have the new Business Radio and Sirius receiver to install?

Unfortunately, in my post you cited, it is plug and play- the radio is an exactly 'connector duplicate'- no wires to mess with, just remove connectors from old radio, put into new radio.

Maybe motatti, mdernst or elmono will chime in. I think they've all done your exact upgrade. (Maybe take the liberty of a PM to each? )

Good luck- don't give up just yet!

A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Mine is an 03, and everyting was a complete plug and play operation. So I also can't really help. During my investigation though, Martin at bmwnav was very responsive. I'd try working with him.

Try to install it without the cd player connected. See if that works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
El_Mono said:
Mine is an 03, and everyting was a complete plug and play operation. So I also can't really help. During my investigation though, Martin at bmwnav was very responsive. I'd try working with him.

Try to install it without the cd player connected. See if that works.
Thanks.

B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Brian,
I know exactly what you are running into at this point. I just recently did the same upgrade to my '00 M5. There are some extra steps that are not documented well anywhere. I did take pictures and am planning on writing it up. PM me and I can try to help.

Good Luck!
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
///M_Addict said:
Brian,
I know exactly what you are running into at this point. I just recently did the same upgrade to my '00 M5. There are some extra steps that are not documented well anywhere. I did take pictures and am planning on writing it up. PM me and I can try to help.

Good Luck!
Dave
Nice- Brian, let us know how it goes..

Dave - Get those pics out of the camera! :)

A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
ard said:
Maybe motatti, mdernst or elmono will chime in. I think they've all done your exact upgrade. (Maybe take the liberty of a PM to each? )

Good luck- don't give up just yet!

A
Adam - unfortunately, my install was the same as yours (I have an 02/2003 production M5).

Additionally, the dealer changed out my radio under warranty so I didn't even do that - I did go back in the shop and watch, however, and it was unscrew one nut, unplug the radio, plug in the new radio, rescrew the nut - done!

Martin has some instructions on his website (bimmernav.com) since he did it in his older E38 7 series but I can't vouch for whether or not they are detailed enough to get everyone through the process.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
///M_Addict has sent me some pics of his '00 install (thank you!). I will let you know how I make out. In the meantime, I'll still take any and all advice. I don't think I can tackle this until next weekend now.

Brian
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,456 Posts
it might be a little late but i also did this same mod. I remember those 3 wires, and thankfully for me, martin from bimmernav never seemed to step away from his computer in those days. He walked me thru it. IIRC, those are for the aux input, right? white wires, one with a brown stripe (ground) and one with red and one with blue stripes (L and R channels). Again, from memory, those wire plug into the radio harness (input into the radio). You're adding them to the existing harness adapter, but that's as far as my memory goes...
Have you tried [email protected] just in case he's around?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
ard said:
Nice- Brian, let us know how it goes..

Dave - Get those pics out of the camera! :)

A
Ard,
Pictures are downloaded! I just need to mark them up and put together a meaningful write-up to go along with them. On the short to-do list!

Dave
:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mottati said:
it might be a little late but i also did this same mod. I remember those 3 wires, and thankfully for me, martin from bimmernav never seemed to step away from his computer in those days. He walked me thru it. IIRC, those are for the aux input, right? white wires, one with a brown stripe (ground) and one with red and one with blue stripes (L and R channels). Again, from memory, those wire plug into the radio harness (input into the radio). You're adding them to the existing harness adapter, but that's as far as my memory goes...
Have you tried [email protected] just in case he's around?
Martin did respond to me directing me to bimmernav.com. I let him know that the site doesn't go over this at all. He hasn't gotten back to me yet. ///M addict emailed me a bunch of pics last night, and is promising to post them with blow by blow descriptions. That seems to be the solution at this point. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
I have an '01 Beast. Does anyone know if my CD player resembles the one that comes in the '00, or the one that is in '03?

Wilkie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
///M_Addict,

A write-up along with pics. would be appreciated ! I also have an '01 Beast and I'm right in the process of swapping out the radio.

I know I need an old-2-new wiring harness adaptor and an old-2-new antenna harness adaptor to complete the swap. Anything else I'm missing ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
amfung said:
///M_Addict,

A write-up along with pics. would be appreciated ! I also have an '01 Beast and I'm right in the process of swapping out the radio.

I know I need an old-2-new wiring harness adaptor and an old-2-new antenna harness adaptor to complete the swap. Anything else I'm missing ?
I am drafting the write-up with pics presently. This board has high standards for content and I am striving to approach the levels expected. :typing:

In the mean time, if you are just swapping out the radio, you would also need a Old to New audio input cable (61-12-6-924-785). This will carry over the Navigation and Tape audio from the old harness to the new. Looking at the back side (the one with wires) of the new end (Slots instead of pins) of the radio adapter, it goes into the right side. The other end connects to the existing harness, but unfortunately it is not "keyed" so you might not connect properly. Verify by trying your Navigation voice and tape player. You can check out www.bimmernav.com for some pictures.

Good Luck!
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
Dave,

You're right. I need that old-2-new audio input cable. Anyways, one quick question: Is MkIV DVD Nav a must ? I'm trying to save a few hundred bucks. I wonder if Sirius will still work with the old Mk3 Nav. Maybe I'd lose the nice interface on the Nav. screen ? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
amfung said:
Dave,

You're right. I need that old-2-new audio input cable. Anyways, one quick question: Is MkIV DVD Nav a must ? I'm trying to save a few hundred bucks. I wonder if Sirius will still work with the old Mk3 Nav. Maybe I'd lose the nice interface on the Nav. screen ? :confused:
AFAIK, mark4 is a must. Needs to be firmware 3.0 or higher.

The nav is where the operating system for the whole thing resides- if the operating system doesn't "know" about the sirius, it will not recognize it. There was no sirius when the mark 3 was developed/used.

A
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top