BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,
I wanted start off by saying thank you to all the super great folk on this forum for their contributions. I have spent a lot of time on this and the e60/61 page researching these great cars before I pulled the trigger. The car a bought had been at the dealer for over a year and needed work but the km are low and the price was right. I also could not bear seeing such a beautiful car on the lot. I needed to save it. This will be my third m car. I have had a 91 e34 m5 and a 02 e39 m5. I currently also have a 2004 645 convertible that I love and may keep for awhile in case I can not get the m6 sorted.
On the drive home the car went into limp mode. i changed the spark plugs, a couple of coils that broke,oil and all the filters. It was good for a week but then went into limp mode again with a cylinder 8 miss fire again. Switched the ionic models and the miss fire moved to the other bank so I have that part on order. Hopefully that will fix the car up for the weekend.
I also have a EDC error, I have unpluged all the connections and still have the error. My mechanic said it has a bad EDC module error so I have purchased a used one of eBay so hopefully that gets the edc error sorted.

The gray car is the 645 it has m car wheels on it but that was not enough!
I will post updates on the repairs as they go.

Thanks again for such a great resource in this forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I had the loinc module replaced and the car is working great. Full pulls in p500 mode are amazing. The car has a Dinan exhaust on it and it is a little loud for me but sounds great wth the top down.
I am still waiting for the EDC module so hopefully that clears the error code. I would say the m6 ride is bumpy compared to the 645 . I hope that the bumpy ride is due to the EDC failure.

My next project is to pull the front bumper off to fix a parking sensor that is pushed in and hopefully repair the damage from the front licence plate holder.

Here are some pictures after I washed it today.

After the bumper I need to figure out what is wrong with the rear speakers they sound terrible. I do not know if it is the speakers but according to my research the logic7? amp can be a problem. I am thinking of swapping the one from my 645 and seeing if that fixes the problem. Fun projects to keep me busy during this crazy time.

I will need to do the rod bearings soon. The car has 69k km or 42,000 miles on it so it should be good but as I have read you never know. My mechanic is recommending that I bring it in before 90k km or 56,000 miles. I will see what the oil analysis says after the next change. I like the idea of replacing them with the be bearings. Still more research required!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So my improvement work continues. The rear speaker sound terrible. My research found that the logic 7 amp is suspect for water damaged from clogged drains in the convertible pan. Sure enough the amp showed water damage. Cleaned the circuit board and hoped it fixed it. Unfortunately the cleaning had no effect. Swapped my amp from my 645 and still my speakers did not work in the m6. So I guess the rear speakers are shot. Not a big deal the fronts sound great and I usually just listen to the music from the v10.

A couple of days ago I went for I ride and got a high battery drain message upon cold start. Aghhh. Just had a new battery installed so that was not the problem. After some research I found that the comfort access sensors could be the culprit so I pull the fuse and checked the current draw and it seemed high but will see if I get the same message upon cold start today. If removing the fuse stops the battery drain I will need to find a way to trouble shoot the comfort access high current issue.

On looking at the glove box fuses I found that both fuses for the edc were missing. It looks like they swapped the 20 amp edc maxi fuse for the 60 amp blower motor fuse. Surprised the blower motor fuse did not pop.
I replaced them but i am still getting the edc error message. I hope the new control module fixes the edc error. I want to clear the dash error message. It is really bugging me!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The postman came today with my eBay used edc module.

It was a bit tricky to figure out how to get the module out of the holder. I ended up finding this video EDC removal and it was very helpful. Got it installed and fired the car up and no more orange triangle and yellow shock warning light! Yay

Removing the comfort access fuse stopped my high battery drain message so now to get that sorted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts