BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Administrator
4,291 Posts
I think most people overfill the reservoir. Mine leaked like crazy during my first track event 8 years ago. I corrected it during that weekend and I've tracked it at least yearly without a seap.
Exactly! The dipstick has two marks but the manual does not specify what's what (min/max cold? or hot? or max cold and max hot?). Pretty sure I opened a thread about it long ago and no one knew. So filling to the top mark when cold is a bad idea. I just let mine settle itself (by puking its guts out at the track) and haven't bugged me since.

· Administrator
4,291 Posts
@flacoramos, since no one answered your concern:
  1. Thoroughly clean fluid reservoir and its immediate surroundings
  2. Check and correct fill level
    Note: The fill level can come to rest above the ”MAX” mark when the engine is at normal operating temperature. This is dictated by the design in that the marking on the dipstick is referred to a fluid temperature of 20 °C. With the engine at normal operating temperature (approx. 50-60 °C fluid temperature) adjust a fill height 10 mm above the ”MAX” mark. Do not under any circumstances draw off the fluid to the ”MAX” mark when the engine is at normal operating temperature.
  3. Start engine.
  4. Turn steering wheel left and right twice in each case up to full lock; if necessary, top up hydraulic fluid (e.g. if hydraulic system is completely drained)
  5. Move steering wheel to straight-ahead position and turn off engine
  6. Check and correct fill level with engine stopped
  7. Check hydraulic system for leaks
Thanks. The issue is not how to add fluid. The issue is the dipstick has two marks with no explanation to what's what. Filling to the top mark when cold results in fluid gushing out at the track. From memory once equilibrium is reached the fluid barely touches the dipstick when cold.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts