BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Just installed it - you guys are going to LOVE it - Car is a rocket!!!

Thanks Matt!!!
Tom,

I thought you had done this some time back due to secondary air issues?

Chuck

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom,

I thought you had done this some time back due to secondary air issues?

Chuck
Hey Chuck,

DID have it done about 8 months ago - here's the deal - when I downloaded the original Powerchip software, they mistakenly turned off one O2 sensor.

When my inspection came up, Leith BMW (the local dealer for those not in the Raleigh, NC area) could not understand why 1 bank registered zero.

This in turn showed of course that one O2 sensor came back as "not ready".
Further, it then showed the Cats as not ready - could not inspect the car.

We were all like - WTF???

Only thing they could surmise - must be the software so, we took the car back to stock and it just showed the secondary air as "not ready" and the O2 sensor came back online and was then able to get the car inspected.

THEN, I downloaded the NEW Powerchip 93 Gold with the new tune and told them not to mess with any O2 sensors this time and viola, the car runs like a champ.

Honestly a big difference from stock which i just had for a couple of days.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Hey Chuck,

DID have it done about 8 months ago - here's the deal - when I downloaded the original Powerchip software, they mistakenly turned off one O2 sensor.

When my inspection came up, Leith BMW (the local dealer for those not in the Raleigh, NC area) could not understand why 1 bank registered zero.

This in turn showed of course that one O2 sensor came back as "not ready".
Further, it then showed the Cats as not ready - could not inspect the car.

We were all like - WTF???

Only thing they could surmise - must be the software so, we took the car back to stock and it just showed the secondary air as "not ready" and the O2 sensor came back online and was then able to get the car inspected.

THEN, I downloaded the NEW Powerchip 93 Gold with the new tune and told them not to mess with any O2 sensors this time and viola, the car runs like a champ.

Honestly a big difference from stock which i just had for a couple of days.
Trank: How do you like Leith BMW. I am in the market for an M5 and I hear better things about Shady Tree in Raleigh and M-Powered in Cary.
I hear the usual dealer related complaints from the friends who go to Leith.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trank: How do you like Leith BMW. I am in the market for an M5 and I hear better things about Shady Tree in Raleigh and M-Powered in Cary.
I hear the usual dealer related complaints from the friends who go to Leith.
I think Leith has a very capable and honest service department but like all dealers, they will make a lot more money than an indy - just don't have any experience with the two that you mentioned.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
So does that mean that PC messed up that original tune in some way? Why would one O2 sensor have been disabled? Weird.

How is the throttle response? Is it smooth and easy to modulate? If you're up in Raleigh anytime, I'd like to see what it feels like. If you'd like to experience the M5 with my suspension/tire/wheel mods, you're welcome to drive mine. :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So does that mean that PC messed up that original tune in some way? Why would one O2 sensor have been disabled? Weird.

How is the throttle response? Is it smooth and easy to modulate? If you're up in Raleigh anytime, I'd like to see what it feels like. If you'd like to experience the M5 with my suspension/tire/wheel mods, you're welcome to drive mine. :)
Chuck - yes, they admittedly DID mess up the original tune - they can disable the O2 sensors if you are running the car without cats. Only disabled one of mine - who knows.

And Travis the guy who did the original tune for me is no longer with PC. Matt and everyone else at Powerchip was extremely helpful downloading this new tune.

The throttle response is very smooth - THIS new tune is definitely better than the last one imo.

But, with the car back to bone stock dealing with the NC inspection and THEN with this new tune - huge difference.

I would love to meet with you in Raleigh - up there a lot and we could drive each other's car - great deal!

I should be through there the week after Thanksgiving and will send you a PM?

Tom

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Chuck - yes, they admittedly DID mess up the original tune - they can disable the O2 sensors if you are running the car without cats. Only disabled one of mine - who knows.

And Travis the guy who did the original tune for me is no longer with PC. Matt and everyone else at Powerchip was extremely helpful downloading this new tune.

The throttle response is very smooth - THIS new tune is definitely better than the last one imo.

But, with the car back to bone stock dealing with the NC inspection and THEN with this new tune - huge difference.

I would love to meet with you in Raleigh - up there a lot and we could drive each other's car - great deal!

I should be through there the week after Thanksgiving and will send you a PM?

Tom
Sounds good, shoot me a PM when you're going to be up in this area.

Chuck

·
Registered
376 Posts
Tom, please shoot me a PM next time you are in the area. I have the AA tune and it is a bit "edgy" as far as drivability, I would like to see what the powerchip is like for comparison.

Also did you ever get the front end issue resolved?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tom, please shoot me a PM next time you are in the area. I have the AA tune and it is a bit "edgy" as far as drivability, I would like to see what the powerchip is like for comparison.

Also did you ever get the front end issue resolved?
Will do Alex, will let you drive my car and see what you think about Powerchip - have not gone to MPowered Automitive yet - issue still unresolved.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Did you do a before and after dyno?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you do a before and after dyno?
No, not with my mileage. I'm not concerned with exact HP and torque numbers - just wanted the SES light off again and the extra oomph.

I had the original Powerchip installed about a year ago I would guess to turn off the SES light from the secondary air fault and liked the extra boost in HP and torque.

With this NEW PC tune, I can definitely feel the difference from the original tune - no question.

How much exactly? I don't know but Matt at Powerchip would have the actual numbers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds like a Triangle area meetup might be in the works, so I gotta get in on this thread.

Also, can't comment on Leith, but can recommend both Shade Tree and MPowered. You'll have very different experiences, but I've found both to be trustworthy and very competent with our cars.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sounds like a Triangle area meetup might be in the works, so I gotta get in on this thread.

Also, can't comment on Leith, but can recommend both Shade Tree and MPowered. You'll have very different experiences, but I've found both to be trustworthy and very competent with our cars.
Triangle meet, sounds like a good idea.....

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Keep me posted on this meetup.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok:

CSBM5 - Chuck
Redshift - Brian
Al-x - Alex
Bryan in NC - Bryan
tranck - Tom

Anyone else before we coordinate a day and time?

Tom

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Weekends work best for me but I can be somewhat flexible. Lunch times are best due to my daughter's nap :)

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Throw weather into the mix too...no rain. :)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts