BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

441 - 460 of 481 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
Ok, so an update on this thing. The left headlight wiring insulation gave up, so I did the paint on electrical tape thing. Also polished the funk off the lenses so it looks much better. Also coded the DSC for the "MDM III" values. Took the car out in the wet and it does let one get a bit sporty. Have to update other stuff/code as I see fit, get a hold of a front bellypan, get the wheels powdercoated, and new rubber (doing Toyos on this one). Other stuff I'm sure but that's it for now.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Whilst we are off topic it seems we share other hobbies too. I’ve had a few Ducati’s including my current beautiful 996. It was given to Steve Martin for winning the aus superbike championship. He kept it in his lounge room for about 10 years then sold it to a guy who worked at Ducati. That guy put it on the road and after about 3 years I bought it off him. It was basically brand new. I was a longtime Japanese bike fan until I saw a 916 senna at a local shop (was there to buy a cbr1000rr). I had thought Ducati’s were for fat old wankers but loved how it looked. So i thought ‘I’ll test ride it and probably hate it, then I can move on’. Well I discovered that it didn’t rev, or scream or tip in like the Japanese bikes but the front end grip is amazing, the torque is pretty nice and they make an ok sound too. That particular 916 was a heap, but I soon found a nice 996 and moved through a few since. I guess I’m a fat old wanker now.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ok, back to cars. My bad. 😊

On tires if you’re willing to explore the budget options (like toyo) have a look at the kumho ecsta PS91.

I’m a bit of a tyre brand whore and love nice Michelin/Bridgestone/whatever but the ps91 surprised me. I haven’t tried them on the m5 but I did put some on one of my other cars and have been very impressed. That car previously had RE050A, S001 and some AD08R. I’d say the ps91 is as good as the 3 Bridgestones but a bit behind the ad08r in outright grip and feel (the ad08 has very stiff construction). My inner snob hates having off brand tires but for the money they are very good. I’ve has contisport contacts, ps4s and pzero’s on the m5 all of which were pretty good but I might try a set of the ps91 on it next time.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Speaking of cars, just saw your spec in your sig. oh baby. 08, grey, manual (tbf I like the smg in this car) with headers. That is a very desirable combo. For anyone wanting an e60 that’ll actually be worth something that’s the kind of spec that will always be desirable.

Mine is a lowly pre-LCI, blue, smg but is a 2 owner car from new with extensive maintenance/service history and overall in very good shape. I’ve been wanting to replace it for over a year but nothing I’ve found (including f90 m5) feels special the way a well balanced sedan with a 500hp v10 and a 7 speed sequential does. Especially with a nice exhaust. They have so many faults but they are truly a special car. ❤

·
Registered
844 Posts
Speaking of cars, just saw your spec in your sig. oh baby. 08, grey, manual (tbf I like the smg in this car) with headers. That is a very desirable combo. For anyone wanting an e60 that’ll actually be worth something that’s the kind of spec that will always be desirable.

Mine is a lowly pre-LCI, blue, smg but is a 2 owner car from new with extensive maintenance/service history and overall in very good shape. I’ve been wanting to replace it for over a year but nothing I’ve found (including f90 m5) feels special the way a well balanced sedan with a 500hp v10 and a 7 speed sequential does. Especially with a nice exhaust. They have so many faults but they are truly a special car. ❤
Thanks.. We all get along cuz we share that V10 love ❤ 😁😁😁

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
Ok, got new tires on it and gotrims powdercoated. License plate light works again :) for some reason. Sunroof locked up on wind deflector 😐

·
Registered
285 Posts
Looks good. What did you go with for tires?

I have to say I still love the standard wheels. Sure they’re a little dated and perhaps a little conservative in width and offset but for a standard issue wheel they’re one of my favorites. They just suit the car really well. They have that same fairly conservative but just a little bit tough kind of look. Being 19s also means we can easily get decent tyres for them.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Man, that was a good read from the start. I love a good resurrection thread, especially one with as much brilliant diagnostic work as this one. Figuring out these cars is a lost art... so many shops and mechanics want nothing to do with them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Good stuff, is that a satin finish on the wheels? Did you run spacers as well? I am keeping my standard wheels as well with a satin finish as a spare set. Are you running standard spec wheels, 255/40/19 285/35/19?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #460
Gloss on wheels, actually 2 stage, color then clear powdercoat. I don't dig satin really, just me I guess. No spacers standard tires.

441 - 460 of 481 Posts