BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

421 - 440 of 481 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #421 (Edited)
When I look at it during the ISTA calibration I don't see the current value for steering angle coming across. Would the VO flash address this? I already flashed (and the one flash remaining is what I mean) the module with the ZUSB in WinKFP

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
When I look at it during the ISTA calibration I don't see the current value for steering angle coming across. Would the VO flash address this? I already flashed (and the one flash remaining is what I mean) the module with the ZUSB in WinKFP
Yeah, you need the VO flashed over and then you have to go through to the calibration steps from the service menu (just like clutch teach in etc) - by default when you just plug it in, it won't read the angle even on the first screen of the calibration (ie it will be 0 degrees). For what it's worth, I didn't have to flash the firmware - the VO will tell the thing which options you do/don't have.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I also flashed mine today and no joy, I did enter my vin again. Still there one gate open for manipulating that " encoding of DSC control unit" as ISTA mention when it fails calibrating the steering angel sensor. I didn't do it as I am not 100% sure what is the meaning of encoding, does it mean coding or flashing the control unit. Also you may need to initialize the steering angle sensor by turning the wheel from lock to lock to center and drive the car around, I cant drive mine yet.
Update:
I I encode it by ncsexpert(reading the code and recode) still no joy, when i did that the DSC turned red on the ISTA ECU's network, then calibrated all DSC sensors then it got back online, but still no steering angel adjustment possible. i also found one trick in the web by using tool32 and command the SZL through DSC to be calibrated with lenkwinkel_dsc_ableichen, no joy.!!!! Next i am gonna check if there is a wiring to the DSC to check if it is broken, also to confirm the IR led is indeed light up with power inside the cluste, then I will lower the front wheel on top of it to see if it reads!!..

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Oh just NCS expert - load you VO from the CAS or LMA module, and flash the LSZ steering sensor module with an empty file to reset it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
SOLVED!!
Desmo01, you have got to do it, yeah ISTA is right "coding". Fault code 94C1.
pmalik thank you for the support. I solved it with different approach but it is the same method "coding with ncsexpert".
I was going to code it last night, but after reflashing the module, I read TIS text stating "Don not code the SZL", so I didn't.
Today I was able to catch a statement in ISTA saying that " the SZL coding is part of the DSC for the E60 series so no need to code it ", but then it revealed the secret saying " but not for the M5 " the M5 SZL coding is function by itself which means you need to code it. I then encode it with same TRC file that i pulled not as I just seen by pmalik, and it worked. i couldn't believe it, the code is the same, why it failed from the beginning, this really show how tricky the software is.
the good thing about this experience is that I start to get hold of the programming software in this, I used winkfp for flashing, ncesexpert for coding, and I used tool32 for commanding or forcing for SZL calibration through DSC.
Finally I get a clean dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Great to hear, like i said before that stuff is a pain in the *** - every time I tried I had to do it twice for the calibration to work in ISTA. If you're swapping an SZL from a diff car, I would think you have to code it with a blank TRC and your VO, so it picks up the setting based on the VO (rather than what's coded in the SZL from the donor car).

For the heated steering wheel retrofit, you gotta do the same and then go back and edit the TRC file to flip on the heated option.

·
Registered
506 Posts
This SZL the original came with the car, I checked the UIF data and the VIN was registered already. I flashed with entering the VIN again, because I was not sure what I am doing, just want what I think is right. Today I removed the sensor and cleaned it again, removed the pointer of the IR led, reflowed the board with hair dryer, and no help. I always thought the fault 94C1 is the master fault and the rest is just a consequences, but that TIS statement got me lost. Another is even ISTA doesn't recommend coding the SZL after the calibration failure, it recommends to either check the slip ring or encode the DSC. I did encode the DSC just before the last cleaning attempt. I was going to check for the signal but found that the signal transfer within a network there is no specific wiring to the DSC. There was one little hope that the sensor is ok which is in the status page, there is an indicator for acceleration angel sensor SPEED, and it does read when i turn the wheel but not the steering angel, that signal is generated by the DSC when it compare it with the front wheel, this gave the feeling that the DSC is receiving some data from the sensor but not the steering rotation which is a total confusion.
I don't have heated wheels.
I would think you have to code it with a blank TRC and your VO
I think this what is called default coding. Thanx for that info.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My next project is to work on MULF2 and VM, I found the optic fiber wiring missed up, still waiting for connectors.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
Dewds platii and pmalik!! Thank you!

Thought about your posts a bit and recoded to VO as well as running ISTA routine again, aaaaannnnnddddd.....

Clean dash, no errors!! Woo hoo!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #434
Man, I tell you what, I think I've got Fred Flinstone's tires on this thing. I think after sitting in southern California for 2-3 years that all the stick got baked out of the Nittos on it!
Roasters in 3rd are noooo problem. Other car just hooks and books.
You know what they say, always have biiig power with crappy tires, and you'll never feel as big as you do with a midget! (Personal experience only with the former, thank you!)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
Right now I'm clay bar-ing the car (amazing amount of stuff comes off when doing it) and trying to get all the dumb stuff addressed. Cleaning interior, spare tire/battery compartment stuff, etc.

·
Registered
506 Posts
could you post some pictures of the component arranged in the battery compartment including pictures for the AMP, TCU , as I have wiring disconnected in that area specially the optic fiber from components in my car, and I want to see how they originally arranged. If you could only. Thanx.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
I can but this thing is all jumbled. It is different than my '08 but I'll grab pics of both for you.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanx, Although I dont have TCU, I have MULF2 not really sure if it is the original equipment, anyway it is not working, also I have Video Module not connected.

421 - 440 of 481 Posts