BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

401 - 417 of 417 Posts

·
Premium Member
E60 M5 and building engines
158 Posts
Hello desmo01,

Clearly you have an understanding engines, cams/lobes, etc. You are correct that the buckets have both leading and trailing radii. I do not meet many people with this level of understanding. I would like to learn from your experience and trials/hardships. The purpose of this forum is not "i know more", only an exchange of information. Some will be correct, some will possibly not be correct, but we can all learn from something we must have in common if working on S85's or other exotic engines.

Mr. P

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #403
Got it buttoned up last night, removed SAP, and now on the reassembly path. Try for start next week.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
Alright.

IT RUNS!!!!

Like, normally!
I do have a miss indicated on cylinder 7, but have some computer stuff to figure out.
Holy crap. Think root cause(s) was transmission wiring issue, smg controller, and cams mis timed.

Now onto the remaining foolishness left to fix in the car.

·
Premium Member
E60 M5 and building engines
158 Posts
Hello desmo01,

How did you determine cams were out of alignment? Did the VANOS actuators get out of sync?

Interested because I have two S85's and want to learn about the failure modes.

Mr. P

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #406
Basically values when cranking or when it would run in INPA didn't look right. So I cracked it open and checked timing with the timing tools.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
Ok, ran a VANOS bleed at lunch and seemed to go ok. Before I did have a solenoid still looking crappy (0.39), but I'll try to run some more bleeds and see what happens there. Car may just need to run a bit honestly. Getting MAF bank2 codes, but I think that's because I have a lower airbox off and it's getting confused at high temps in bank 2 inlet vs. KOMBI and bank 1 measured temperatures. Will try to drive it soon after I vacuum all the crap out of the condenser area.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
Got cylinder 7 miss sorted (coil). Flashed DME to use the ecuworx tool, kinda bricked the ecu. Reflashed it with WinKFP, brought it back with that, then re read and flash with the mss6x flasher and the ecu worx tool. All good (thanks Martyn/terraphantm). Have to change oil and take care of some remaining codes, then on to suspension stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #409
Alright, just drove it at lunch. Did the circle around thing to seat the diff plates (changed to Valvoline fluid). Next is full trans adaptation, oil/filter change, and probably bleed the brakes. Have to try to sort out the SZL code too, worked on that (cleaned/polished disk, soldered connections), but think I've just got a dead module unfortunately.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
Got the dent guy to go over the car popped out pretty much all the dents that it had in it...much better. I need to dig like halfway to China to get enough clay to pull all the crap outta the paint then buff it/touch up chips. Need to make a list of stuff to get to finish out the car and deal with the dead SZL and damper issues. I'll grab some pics when I get it back home tomorrow.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I got the same error for the SZL as you have.
I also tried the quick fix (cleaning but no joy, it is still dead).
My next step is encode it, still sorting out the software and which one to use.
I have never tried that kind of play on any ECU.
As you may know ISTA recommendation is to repeat encoding of the DSC module as a last resort.
Before that is to check the drive pin of coil spring cassette (not sure exactly what the meaning of that and how would it be checked,I did align everything when I put the module back all together but that didn't fix anything).
I wanted to disassemble the coil spring but that may kill it as when you install a new coil cassette you have to break the red pin that could mean releasing the spring and if you disassemble it you will not be able to put back as it was. I may do that if DSC encoding also doen't fix the problem just to learn how does it work as I couldn't find any piece of document explain how would it work.
I

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #412
Just got oil results back (PPM)
Pb 7.56
Fe 7.52
Al 7.75
Cu 3.64

Little higher on Pb, Fe, and Al than I'd like to see. Will be interesting to get the bearings out.

·
Registered
274 Posts
(y)

Major props on the continued efforts to bring this one back to life.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #416
It does have black rpi scoops. I pulled the grilles in anticipation of putting matte black ones in. They are way easier to get out when the bumper cover is off.

Any of you guys with pre lci (or 2006) cars without heated wheels, cou advise what your zusb numbers are for the SZL?

·
Registered
140 Posts
My M5 is 2007 production date 07/2006 SZL ZB no. 9115163. not sure yet if heated or not. I can check that for you.
Note: my car is Euro production.

401 - 417 of 417 Posts