BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

381 - 400 of 417 Posts

·
Premium Member
E60 M5 and building engines
158 Posts
Hello desmo01,

TDC - compression (true TDC) looks correct based on intake cam position.

NOTE: To apply exhaust and intake cam locks requires using a spanner on the cam to extend VANOS into service position.

Timing can not be out on exhaust only as cams are geared.

Pics below from one of my engines (right bank is Bank-1 in my pics). Hope they help!

Mr. P

Attachments

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Adding: You can read the cam info at the cam-lock when in "true" TDC. If not visible, 180 deg out of phase, but as stated your bank-1 is correct.

Other pics from eninge-2
Bank 1 VANOS removed.jpg
Bank 1 VANOS ready for removal.jpg
and showing VANOS removal. NEED tool!

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
And adding VERY important: Need VANOS retaining cap-screw before removing the VANOS from cams on Exhaust.

Pic attached. Thought I had bolt spec in "my media" but believe it is 8mm length....10 max? Purchased at Lowes of all places in the recommended 8mm length. Bolt painted yellow as reminder.

Good luck!
VANOS alignment screw bank 1 right.jpg

Mr .P

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
And adding VERY important: Need VANOS retaining cap-screw before removing the VANOS from cams on Exhaust.

Pic attached. Thought I had bolt spec in "my media" but believe it is 8mm length....10 max? Purchased at Lowes of all places in the recommended 8mm length. Bolt painted yellow as reminder.

Good luck! View attachment 941326

Mr .P
And wait until you try to remove the cam bolts holding VANOS gears.....it is an ODD size. 16.5 or 17.5.....a half mm off normal! Grrr! And they are TORQUED! For disassembly pounded on closest SAE 6pt socket as bolts are TTY and need replaced. For assembly will have special socket modified at machine shop as I can not find the BMW OEM and price would be terrible.

Mr .P

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #386 (Edited)
I have the toolset. Newtis specifies checking exhaust cam only TIMING at the 39 atdc position. Whereas, intake cam timing and intake/exhaust VANOS assembly is done at cycl 1 tdc.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
Reading the service procedures, I don't see that the VANOS gears have to come off the cams. Looks like VANOS adjuster assembly has to come off, but then just matter of the smaller socket head cap screws being removed/installed.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
"Hello desmo,

No on the floor laughing.....you should by a Ducati! "

Just in the case that it was not picked up, as thoughts and words are often a source of conflict:
P-chi = Peachy
desmo = desomodromic valve actuation.

Still laughing!

P-Chee

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Reading the service procedures, I don't see that the VANOS gears have to come off the cams. Looks like VANOS adjuster assembly has to come off, but then just matter of the smaller socket head cap screws being removed/installed.
Hello desmo01,

Gears are part of the main VANOS system (not the actuators pulled from the front). My understanding is they must be removed with BMW special tool holder. That is what I have done with my engines.

If you Exhaust timing is actually out of spec, you will need to remove the main VANOS units and replace the TTY bolts holding them.

If I am not understanding you issue, please send pic or more detail.

pic below:

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
Google "newtis cam timing (s85)" and the procedure should come up that's all I'm going by. Did not include dismounting the VANOS gears from cam.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Hello desmo01,

Have service manual same as "newtis". Great resource and have learned about other sites through this board.

Do not need to remove main VANOS if you can get cam locks into place. Below is a very incomplete video, but does show detail when you know what you need. Ex: at 48s into video shows operator using a spanner on the exhaust cam to extend the VANOS into service position. Then "miraculously" at 1:22 in video the cam lock "appear".

Good video combined with manual.

PS: I believe this video was produced by a tool kit provider. Too bad they did not add more detail.

Mr. P

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
Ok cams (exhaust) were way out. Got them timed right on right bank, actually very easy engine to time cams on. Did not have to dismount VANOS gears from cams. Left bank tomorrow.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Oh, and the other thing I was surprised to see is how wimpy these cams are. I had always assumed that due to the radiused followers used that the cam would be more aggressive. Sooner or later I need to get a cam out by itself and measure the profiles on them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Oh, and the other thing I was surprised to see is how wimpy these cams are. I had always assumed that due to the radiused followers used that the cam would be more aggressive. Sooner or later I need to get a cam out by itself and measure the profiles on them.
and drop some Schrick happiness!

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Hello desmo01,

? No cam followers on S85. Cam to bucket direct with hydraulic valve lash adjusters (in buckets). Cams are hollow and fragile, if that is "wimpy", and no variable lift on S85, only timing.

I initially thought it would be a shimmed bucket, but very happy to know they are automatic/hydraulic....easy!

Good luck and hoping bank-2 goes easier!

PS: Love the pics! Keep sending.

Mr. P

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #400
Followers are radiused on s85. Not flat buckets. This is typically done to allow for negative radius of curvature on the flanks for more aggressive valve motion to yield larger lift integral over the duration chosen. The profile in the s85 just doesn't look aggressive enough to need this. Cams are nearly certainly chilled cast iron in construction, which is notable due to the cams length/excitation order as I would think it certainly goes through a torsional mode.

381 - 400 of 417 Posts