BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

281 - 294 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Got a new connector from Newark, we'll see how that works and if I can bring this thing back from the dae-ed...
That’s some dedication...There are so many of these on fleabay, I’d find it hard to even justify the time to fixture the POS on the Bridgeport.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
?? Dude it took like 5 minutes at lunch. The connector was $6.

I got one, you know the crappy one that has caused me to pull the trans twice, from fleabay.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yeah I hate unbolting the vice since I have to retramm the head back in later. I would have just put it in the vice. Plus unsoldering headers is something that I’d rather avoid, unless a heat nozzle style soldering station is involved. I do have access to one of those anymore.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
Yeah, it's a pain. I would have demilled differently, unfortunately I screwed up the connector removing it from the bad box, thus the order from Newark. Probably cut the connector off the 'good' box then desolder the pin remainders...

·
Registered
526 Posts
So I’m still confused though on where you are at on this project. your original harness was indeed bad, correct? It seemed that you concluded that the harness was causing the erroneous pressure readings, not either of the modules. But the original module has corroded connectors and the replacement had a something wrong on the gear track selector circuit??

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
I don't blame you! So am I!!

Anyhow, no I think the original harness was ok, I did change it to one from a junkyard, and had to splice the tailshaft speed sensor connector into the 'new' harness from the original one from the car.

Original module had corroded/broken connector.
Replacement module #1 had good connector, did not read 6/7 track correctly on either this project car ('06) or my '08 that runs correctly.
Replacement module #2 is on the way.

In the meantime I am going to try to fix the connector on the original module with a new connector (figure a spare SMG module for $6 is worth a shot). After all this malarkey, it would be interesting to know that it could have been fixed with a $6 connector and a wiring insulation repair. Sigh.

Current status is original trans is back in, sensor harness on the trans repaired.
Pressure/temperature appear to read correctly as does PLCD. Cleaned out the original SMG hydraulic pump motor and put it back in. Keeping the nice, new MLR pump motor for the other car.

At this point I am hoping that the root cause was the module connector issues as well as the well known sensor wiring degrading.

Should know tomorrow when it will, or will not, do the gearbox adaptation routine successfully.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Alright!!!

Got it running. I'd say root cause was a dead SMG controller and the sensor wiring insulation issue. Probably some other gremlins to sort out but I think the big one is done!

The SMG board connector showed up from Newark, so I'll try to see how that does just for grins.

I'll post some more pics and so forth later on.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Wow now that's dedication, congrats! Refresh my memory, what was the original reason for the car not firing?

Also I'm still loving the fact these cars almost universally attract engineers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
Some eco-buttmunsch in Munich specd biodegradable wiring, smg controller pins broken.

Left bank vanos making noise 🤪

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Driveshaft and heat shields in, gotta clean some stuff, then work out noisy left bank vanos. EDC struts after that...

281 - 294 of 294 Posts