BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

221 - 240 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Welp think sensors are fooked. At least one is. Shop has been super helpful, probably going to source another SMG for it. I think my trans is mechanically fine just one shift fork position is zero after wiring repair...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Do have one question, is there a combination of plugs one could unplug to remove trans from starting interlocks??

·
Registered
87 Posts
did you happen to replace the o-rings in the clutch control valve? I've dissected two of these and both had signs of oring wear/tearing on the larger lands. Not too hard to remove that one as its in the side of the hydraulic pump block.

3 gun is fun, I 've never really had the time for that, but do some long range stuff 800m. I spend more time on the track instead and lately fixing broken M5s. In the US the civilian version of the 417 is the MR762, which is generally available all the states except the communist ones. Most of it is made in the US due to the laws passed in the 90s. It has a US made barrel but it longer which actually works out fine. It is really impressive for accuracy given it is not designed to be a long distance rifle. The trigger break is wonderful, very similar to how great the S85 sounds. As you know accuracy really starts to drop off with a 7.62 outside of 800m but I've been able to hit the gong at 900m. I don't think I've ever hit the 55 gallon drum at 1k but I'd need a spotter since it doesn't ring there are other people there too. Just reinforces, it's not the rifle, not the person behind the trigger, just like on the track, it's not the car or the HP that will be the limit but the driver.

In the US, a real 417 (german made barrel and control group) can only be had through some type of former ex-military service sell off, which is unlikely to happen since they are still in service. If it ever had burst or FA it must be cut up and that's then not worth as much. I've heard that some US Park Rangers, had the 417 with single and semi. I see one of those easily being worth 10-12k.

with the these thumbnails on my phone even harder to spot the difference. Another reason why you guys need to switch the boxing kangaroo.
Not to perpetuate the drift but I see brownells do a 416 replica kit that comes with a genuine HK upper and lower and then a replica barrel. That way they can avoid the embargo on importing/selling the full rifle. The end result is a little pricey but it’s damn close to a semi-auto 416. I ‘think’ they do a 417 kit too. I’d have one in a heartbeat.

Anyway... back to m5’s.

Oh and the l1a1 was great. Before aus went mental I was issued one in high school army cadets. We kept them in the school armory but it was no big deal to take it home of a weekend. They were prettt heavy to lug around as a 15yo kid on a long excercise but they were great rifles. Just before I left we got the first batch of aug steyer’s. A lot of guys had mixed feelings about them. The early ones with the fixed power scope were a bit lame but seemed super futuristic at the time. Lol

·
Registered
586 Posts
I was about to take a plunge on an STI Staccato Duo .45 acp to replace my Kimber Eclipse when the bank 2 idle actuator crapped out. Went nuts with replacing stuff while I was under there. FUNNY thing is I spent exactly what the STI cost.

Oh yeah the M5 lol.. hopefully you get SMG stuff sorted out soon.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Trans comes out soon, shop is helping big time and got me a hookup on a trans. We will see...

·
1,977 Posts
Good newsright? Now you know what to repair next. Consider doing a full smg service, I created a list of stuff to do while in there. Check the DIY sticky.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Oh yeah. Got MLR stuff on the way. Will have to mix and match parts. Grrr. Cooler on this one is gnarfed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
New trans isn't any better than the old one, so it goes back. Going to put the SMG controller out of this 06 into my 08 and see if it is ok. The interesting thing on the 06 transmission is that the car says it's in neutral, but can't turn the tailshaft (driveshaft is out).

·
Registered
418 Posts
Seems like you have an issue with the sensor strip and wiring. It should sense that one of the 4 selector rods is in gear. Even if it is in gear you should be able to spin the input shaft and get rotation on the output. There is no parking pawl on this gearbox.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
I agree.

The interesting thing is that when it is in sensed neutral, engine off, one cannot turn the output shaft (driveshaft is out). So mechanically, I don't think it is in neutral, presumably because one of the gear sensor tracks is kaput or there is a wiring break inside the potting that I missed.

One of the 4 tracks reads '0' in INPA which I don't think is right. I will be putting the SMG controller out of the problem child car into my other one to see if all tracks read in effort to rule out/in the SMG controller as an issue. At this point if I had to make a bet, the '0' reading track is dead in the solenoid plate in the trans as opposed to truly being at a '0' position.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Did the SMG controller swap at lunch, the controller is ok. Trans comes back out I guess. The reverse/1st shaft primary sensor is no good, redundant looks ok...

·
Premium Member
E60 M5 and building engines
121 Posts
Still not too late to put in a DCT 😜
Is DCT a difficult swap? From F10 or other? Have read many good reviews on the DCT, but have limited actual knowledge.

How would the swap compare to the M/T conversion?....both must have ECM/PCM issue and require hardware change.

Interested!

Mr. P

·
Registered
418 Posts
It depends on who you ask, there are those guys that built an M6 with a DCT and they seem to indicate it’s not that hard but not much on any details on programming changes necessary.

221 - 240 of 240 Posts