BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Strange issue to report on my E60 M5. I am a new owner and the car is a 2005 with a new engine

Had an oil change at 68000 miles - the dealer slightly over filled it when I had running in service but said it was nothing to worry about. The oil level on the dash was at 1.5L

After 600 miles, this dropped down to 1.1L as I would expect - I have read that these cars like to drink oil!

However since then the level has stayed at 1.1 and I have done a further 2000 miles since - no change to oil level

I have reset with the car standing flat but still it shows 1.1L. I would expect the oil level to have fallen after another 200 miles?

I am worried I may have a faulty sensor.....of course lack of dipstick means I cannot check level. My car does not have the additional oil check on I drive - only the dash check through left hand stalk.

If the oil gets too low, will it sound an alarm, even if sensor for dash monitor is caput?

I have read that the oil level monitors are quite fragile and that suddenly, out of nowhere, the level suddenly wakes up> Do you think I should worry?

Thanks for your help

Simon

PS - engine is a brand new unit @ 66,000 miles

·
Registered
301 Posts
Did you try resetting your sensor?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean pushing the left hand indicator - little clock comes up whilst oil is measured? I have done this but it still comes back as 1.1L

is there another reset I can do?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I think your first issue was that the car had not done a long reading when you it went from 1.5 to 1.1. I basically had the same issue a few weeks ago. Picked up after an oil change at 1.4 and the next day after a long ride level went to 1.1. These cars need to do a 'long' reading meaning about a 20 minute drive at temperature to get a good reading.

As far as holding at 1.1 now, there are guys who will say their cars burn little or no oil. Your engine is new so this may be the case. In my opinion, I would not worry. Consumption will also change as to how you drive the car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
759 Posts
This works on my 2009: If you want to get a "long" reading, push and hold the BC button to request a quick reset, the clock appears. Then drive off, the -.- appears meaning a reading is not possible at this time. Normally, a quick reading requires you to remain stopped, but after driving steadily about 20 miles (in my case), the new reading appears in the dash replacing the -.- (keep the oil display in the dash to monitor the progress).

·
Registered
307 Posts
Also, sometimes the sensor likes to take its time and reports level changes in larger increments than expected or anticipated.

I am not a fan of the E-dipstick but it does work, but it's like a watched pot and all that! Give it time and don't check again for another 600 miles.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
06 with 45 k: mine eats oil pretty slowly when driven relatively easy, ive seen only a slight drop after 500 mi of steady highway, or burning it like its leaking when flogged...totally a function of time spent at high r's methinks...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I wouldn't worry. Just don't make the mistake of adding oil when it doesn't tell you. I can't even begin to tell you how many people I know that have overfilled their oil and suddenly the car measures and its over the limit.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I had my oil changed a few months ago, was 1.4 a bit overfill but BMW dealers said it was fine. They hate not having a dipstick as much as I do and offered to drain some. I told them I should be fine. It never really burned much oil but I am driving it a bit harder now. Down to 1.0. I would not worry about it. Last time before the oil change when I was driving easy, took months to go from 1.0 to .7 I have 78K or so miles on the car if that helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts