BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured this would get more views here the engine and tranny is same. 2014 M6 convert, 71k miles Competition Pkg. Car has extensive BMW work history no issues. Dealer went through it very and no issues Owners were older and I don't suspect there was much beating on it. It came in as a trade in last weekend, they didn't even get pictures up and I bought it sight unseen as it was in CT and I am in NC as I been looking for the competition pkg for 6 months. I bought the full warranty so no worries there. I drove it home Friday 850 miles in 12 hours and it felt strong but since wifey was with me I didn't do anything stupid. Yesterday I took it out to see what it would do and could not get it to smoke the tires. I was quite disappointed seemed like a big lag. I took all the nannies off DSC and such and nothing. I know in the older V10 Ms there was the M button to make it 400 or 500HP I am told there is no such thing now. It seems to be way down on boost feels like its just a big V8.

My first thought was boost so I need a easy way to see boost. I do have a MHD wireless OBDII so what software can I get that I can see and verify boost? Also what levels of boost would be considered normal when I do have a way to log boost? Am I missing something here, I was in first maybe 10mph and mashed the go pedal and I would have expected to go sideways with 600HP. Any ideas would be helpful I'm not a big fan of dealers.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying to figure out the M modes. I had my M2 menu set for Sport Plus in all categories and i had DSC off. So my question is When DSC is off, MDM is also off so isn't that the most "loose" and no nanny you can make it. It almost felt like it wanted to go but it was stopped. Or do you hit MDM off and that takes them both off. I've watched a couple of video's so thats a little confusing and may be what's going on. To say the least i was a little disappointed with the performance. The odd thing is that i did a BMW drivers experience down in Greenville SC about 5 years back so those would have been the newer V8 cars. With 4 people in a M5 the driver was doing hot laps we literally went sideways around the entire track for about 10 minutes. I was expecting that out of the M6.

Also has anyone used the MHD tuning wireless USB with one of the apps that shows boost a torque? If so which one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I tried bootmod3 you need a special ethernet adapter to plug into a laptop or a box you buy from them. I've tried both MDM off and DSC off accepted it and from a stop or from 3000rpm it goes but not the way I expect. I just need to verify it's not making boost somehow. I'm looking for an android, iPhone, or windows app that will tell me that. I do have a BT cable and an ELM27 cable and the MHD wireless just need an app that is compatible to show me boost or HP/Torque

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I was able to use my ELM 327 connector and an Android device and loaded Torque Pro. I was able to see Boost, and it appears I am maxing out around 13PSI. Not sure how accurate it is, as car idling was shown -3.0 PSI. Also, one run was super quick i had the Android on with command strips, floored it and it came flying off with super good acceleration.
1) Car is Competition Pkg I would expect with MDM and DSC off i should roast the tires in 2nd gear flooring it at 3000. It's fast but it's like something is holding it back
2) it is boosting since I am seeing 13PSI but no more. I know in my 335IS that's a big difference. Is there a learning process this car was owned by older gentleman? Or a valet mode or something im missing in the M button setup
3)For the M5 owners can you roast the tires with MDM and DSC off? I just remember my hot laps at the BMW plant down in Greenville with 4 people in an M5 and their driver. This is what i expected. It's a gorgeous car was expecting another 100+HP honestly so something are not quite right or I just don't understand my M6 should do the same as it's the same chassis. Pretty disappointed it's not as fast as I thought it would be. The dealer i bought it from put it through a PPI I did purchase a full warrantee just dont want to bring it in cause i missed something stupid in the M controls or something else.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read a post somewhere about resetting adaptions by turning the car on but not starting, holding the accelerator to the floor, waiting 30 sec, turning the car off then removing the foot from the accelerator. Then wait 2 minutes before starting. That trick made a huge difference in power or the way it comes in! I also turned DSC totally off(I had MDM on) and now she wants to get loose. I need pedal commander or sprint boost for the drive-by wire throttle and this is gonna be fun!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have an f13 m6 coupe comp. package (2014), and I can smoke the tires on command from any gear at any speed it is a monster. The comps. come stock with sport plus map which does put down close to 615-620 wheel on a dyno depending your exhaust setup. These cars are supercars in my opinion, so if it feels like you are lacking boost it is either 1.) a true turbo leak or exhaust leak, or 2.) you have it in the wrong settings (eco/comfort mode is always laggy as it is designed for the daily commute) while sport plus mode is full blown track mode essentially. If you turn MDM on and traction off 100% you can do anything you want. Even when I have everything in 100% sport plus mode I can do a rolling burnout from 5-75 mph just depends what gear you are in, traction control will keep you in line.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I have not gotten an app yet to accurately measure boost, I've been trying to get my 335is ready for sale as I had to move fast to get this one. I did put the Pedal commander in and it really woke it up, but it won't do a rolling burnout at 50 with MDM on and DSC off. And I feel it should so need to work on getting some data out of it to show boost levels.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So I have not gotten an app yet to accurately measure boost, I've been trying to get my 335is ready for sale as I had to move fast to get this one. I did put the Pedal commander in and it really woke it up, but it won't do a rolling burnout at 50 with MDM on and DSC off. And I feel it should so need to work on getting some data out of it to show boost levels.
yeah man that is what i was going to recommend.... these cars really do have an insane amount of torque/boost so it sounds like you might have a boost leak somewhere. one thing you can look into is exhaust leak/boost leak @ the downpipe mating section where the flange extends to the primary exhaust sections. An exhaust leak or a bad seal @ the downpipes could be causing this. If the previous owner had downpipes fitted, and then swapped back to the oem's they could have failed to check for leaks?
anything over 3-4k rpm should be an easy burnout but I can even get the tires spinning lower than that from a dig

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had this issue with my 750Li, was way down on power, turns out it was a boost leak. As yours is under warranty, explain that it feels way down on power and ask them for a full inspection and they'll find it, they did with mine, then they kept it for 2 weeks and dropped the engine and gearbox, no idea why but I got it back and it was night and day different.

Also as for lighting the tires, with the North Korea settings turned off in full, my M5 Comp happily lights them up, then again it is fitted with Pirelli P Zero's, which means I Chris Harris it out of every right turn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I press the M2 button on my F10 M5 it puts everything in sport plus and takes off all nannies. I spin the tires without even trying. I don't know if anyone messed with it, but I know it doesn't have a tune. I think you can customize the M1 and M2 buttons. My M1 button, just puts everything in Sport and leaves the nannies on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Want to revisit now that I've gotten my daughter married off and all my honey-do stuff is off my plate. So with MDM on and DSC off the car should spin the tires pretty much all the time correct? What is the best adapter (wireless or Bluetooth), and what app is on my android tablet so I can definitely see bank 1 and bank 2 boost? I hate guessing and would like to be able to see the actual boost measure at the MAP. it's fast, just not what I remember at the BMW experience in Greenville SC plant doing hot laps, the guy cooks a set of back tires going around the course sideways with 4 people!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
You cant have mdm on and dsc off at same time

Drive it dsc off, the car is slow otherwise
Hope you can drive

Ps i was disappointed in power until o stage 2 tuned and straight piped it

Stock doesn’t feel fast at all

1 - 16 of 16 Posts