BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its a shame my first post ( http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/172265-hello-codes-ponder-ses.html ) wasn't more of your typical first post with pics and specs but, oh well...the nature of "the beast" :)hihi:), i guess...anyways, glad to be here; super stoked to be a proud new owner of one of these cars. the car has ~62k well-maintained and documented miles that were presided over by 3 previous owners (two in colorado, one in texas, i believe). i made the trip up to enthusiast auto group (carrboro, nc ---> cincinnati, oh), traded in my '99 estoril m3, and made the trip back down (~430 miles), without a hiccup.

(please ignore the painted calipers...ugh...too fast and furious for me. soon to be remedied)

(not a huge fan of the m-technic from bumper [insert]...)

(plenty of CF bits about the car...starting to grow on me...slightly...maybe)

(becker's (sp?) headers instead of Dinan headers...)

...while thoroughly into my honeymoon period, only a few days home from picking it up, the SES light popped on (+ engine failsafe mode) along with the codes discussed in the previously mentioned thread. i have since started some surgery to replace the TPS's:

*picasa album link: https://picasaweb.google.com/105320819255851931921 (please ignore my wife's rental car (HHR :eek:h:). i promise--its not ours!

hoping you guys can chime in on the post i pasted up at the top--confused about the torquing sequence of the lower plenum cover to the "throttle body housings". also, my dipstick tube wiggles around quite a bit. is that normal for these cars or is mine just not seated in the oilpan, correctly? thinking the latter.

anyways, once again, pumped to be here and to be the new owner of this car. i was a fairly active member over at m3forum and hope to be here as well. hopefully, my contributing to questioning ratio will be improving shortly ;)

:M5launch:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Welcome, I also have a 02 S2. Do you have the Dinan S2 badge and serial number under the hood even though you don't have the Dinan headers? I also have the plenum spacer and cam, does yours have either of those?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, no, not sure (easy to ID?), and no (pretty sure that would be made apparent). EAG did contact dinan about the under-hood badge, and, apparently, they will be sending me one, shortly. the first owner (who was the one who dumped the cash on the dinan stuff) "piece-mealed" the S2 package, as opposed to an all-at-once installation. from what i have heard/can tell, at least. this was fairly early on in the car's life.

·
Registered
832 Posts
hmmmmm those throttle bodies look nice

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Car looks great!

I can't help but assume that's just a CF wrap on the seats??
Looks like real CF seat and radio trim. That gloss has some depth that cannot be achieved with a wrap. All very...interesting ;)

Welcome!

Reactions: blackxs

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
i was told it's the real deal, actually. have yet to verify for myself since i'm meh about the CF stuff, anyway. will check soon! thanks!
Looks like real CF seat and radio trim. That gloss has some depth that cannot be achieved with a wrap. All very...interesting ;)

Welcome!

I thought the same thing....I've just never seen that before. I'd love to know where they came from because that is a seriously awesome weight savings modification. I think our seats weight something around 100lbs each?? Please correct me if I'm wrong...I can't remember where I heard that.

I wonder how much you save with those while still keeping full function. Beautiful. Very jealous!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I thought the same thing....I've just never seen that before. I'd love to know where they came from because that is a seriously awesome weight savings modification. I think our seats weight something around 100lbs each?? Please correct me if I'm wrong...I can't remember where I heard that.

I wonder how much you save with those while still keeping full function. Beautiful. Very jealous!
It is indeed real CF. However, there is not a high chance that any components of the actual seat has been replaced in CF bits as I have never before heard of that happening to any OEM seat.

More likely than not its genuine CF fabric with genuine CF resin applied directly over the product, or made from a mould and in fact is just that one trim piece. So hes not saving much weight... its still the stock seats, the only thing that has changed here, is a little trim piece that easily unscrews.

edit: I agree with you OP, the M-technic lower piece is not very fashionable. The brake calipers are not bad though imo

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
It is indeed real CF. However, there is not a high chance that any components of the actual seat has been replaced in CF bits as I have never before heard of that happening to any OEM seat.

More likely than not its genuine CF fabric with genuine CF resin applied directly over the product, or made from a mould and in fact is just that one trim piece. So hes not saving much weight... its still the stock seats, the only thing that has changed here, is a little trim piece that easily unscrews.

edit: I agree with you OP, the M-technic lower piece is not very fashionable. The brake calipers are not bad though imo

I see what you're saying...that would make sense.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

Here's a pic I found of member Laidback's seats, with real CF rear backing and side control:

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
To the OP:
Welcome to the Board. With regards to the dipstick; they are suppose to have 2 small o-rings at the top of the dipstick to maintain a secure fit. Take a look, I'll bet yours are gone, or you only have 1.

+1 on the Plenum...Close-up please

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
The dipstick has one bolt that connects it to the bank1 chain cover,check if bolt is tight...

The tightening torque of the bolts plenum/throttle bodies is 10NM,for the velocity stacks there is no torque spec around.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the comments guys, will grab a pick of the plenum cover and throw it up soon...was referring the the dipstick tube rather than the dipstick, itself--will check that bolt and make sure its seated all the way down in the oil pan. as far as torquing down the bottom half of the plenum, i was referring to the sequence rather than the value.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I do not know about the torque sequence you are after, however, for most larger items that have multiple bolts that need to be torqued (like cylinder heads, intake manifolds, oil pans, etc) you usually start with a lower torque value, about 1/3 the final value, working in a circular criss cross pattery from the center then outwards.

I would start by snugging up the bolts with light hand pressure on a ratchet using a torque sequence. Then move onto a torque wrench if you have a spec for the bolts.

Not a bad idea to map out the bolts on a piece of paper, work out a pattern, number the bolts in the pattern on the paper, then follow the pattern for each step of the bolt tightening.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
hoping you guys can chime in on the post i pasted up at the top--confused about the torquing sequence of the lower plenum cover to the "throttle body housings".
View the attached gif at full size, and I think it might answer your question about torquing.

It looks like a nice car. Has EAG offered to help out with the problem you had right off the bat?

I think I'm on the same page as you. I'd fix the red caliper crap, and I'd ditch the "carbon fiber" junk too and return the car to stock appearance in those regards.

I think we'll be having an M5 meet the first Sat in March at Brier Creek Panera before heading over to the cars/coffee gathering across the street. You should bring the car out. (assuming we have nice weather, if not, many won't be going).

Regards,
Chuck

Attachments

Reactions: havasusteve03Beast

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
'preciate that .gif, chuck--that's exactly what i needed. wonder why when i open that exact same page i get nonsense characters for the numbers. i've tried opening it in firefox and IE and i'm pretty sure they're both current...

as far as EAG helping, i haven't even asked as the car preformed flawlessly for the 430 mile trip back from cincinnati. not so sure i'd be on any grounds to demand anything out of them because of that.

i will definitely try to make it out to meet up with you guys that day--sounds good.

also, i feel like i've read somewhere that i might need to reset the parameters (no throttle---WOT) on the accelerator pedal...? is that the case or is that only when you replace the pedal position sensors, not the throttle position sensors in the engine bay?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts