BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, so as the title states I'm a new owner and was wondering if anyone in the Detroit area knew of any good body shops they could recommend? (need to replace a cracked bumper)

And secondly, I tried searching but couldn't find the answer but my brake light is on and the previous owner said he recently replaced the brakes but forgot to do the sensors. Can I simply take off the two wheels and insert the sensors or do I have to mess around with removing the calipers and such? Thanks guys!

P.S Love this car!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
IIRC the brake wear sensors just plug into the back side of the calipers (front left and right rear only have sensors). Very easy job there, more time will be taken to remove the wheels than unplugging/plugging-in those sensors.

Couldn't tell ya where to take the beast in D-town. I can tell you I've been to that city a number of times and not once saw a Euro shop there. It doesn't help that 98% of the population in that state hate foreign cars lol

·
Registered
226 Posts
Welcome to the board and its nice to see another M5 in Michigan. I just bought one from Cali last December. I also own an 86 Jag XJ6 and have used a small body shop in Westland/Garden City. The guy has been doing work for us (Fire Dept guys) for years. He has done everything from daily drivers to garage queen muscle cars. His name is Barry 734 595 1369.

He is very talented and very reasonable.

There is a ton of info on the M5 here that will save you money if you can do your own PM. So far, I have done 3 or 4 projects to get ready for spring. Would not have a clue how to start on them without the postings on the M5baord.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The sensors are pretty simple. When the pads get low enough, the plastic part of the sensor gets chewed through and eventually the metal short circuit inside the plastic turns into an open circuit, which causes a message to show in your cluster (something like "Check Brake Linings"). If the previous pads were changed before the sensor was "eaten", you probably don't need to change it. If you do, it's very simple... unclip the sensor, unplug the cable from the quick disconnect, install new sensor in reverse order.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response guys. Ya every time I shut off the car the joke to my girlfriend is to ask her "Hey can you check the brake linings for me?" She's no longer amused. Now if only it wasn't 20 degrees out I'd go and replace those sensors!

And Sneal I remember following that for sale thread of your car and wanting it too! I ended up finding one a little closer in Chicago and drove it back with a smile on my face like this guy :biggrin: the entire time.

·
Registered
226 Posts
And Sneal I remember following that for sale thread of your car and wanting it too! I ended up finding one a little closer in Chicago and drove it back with a smile on my face like this guy :biggrin: the entire time.
Yeah, that was quite an experience. Basically I ran across a thread that had been out there a while and most of the people were tire kickers. I told the guy I would put down a deposit and then all of a sudden everyone else wanted to buy the car. Yeah I know it was a little risky to buy the car "sight unseen" but I was confident of what the seller was telling me and the Moderator Ard was the one who originally saw it and brought it to the board.

Would love to see a pic of your car. Post a couple if you get a chance.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would love to see a pic of your car. Post a couple if you get a chance.
Don't really have any good ones yet unfortunately. Just a couple snapped with the phone. Came with these nice winter wheels, waiting for spring to get the OEM's back on.
IMG_0470.jpg
IMG_0480.jpg
IMG_0494.jpg

·
Registered
719 Posts
Welcome! All that salt on the beast has got to go.

///M

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I had some work done by Autometrics in Royal Oak a couple times, once in my Audi, and once in my M5 after I hit a deer, they did a good job and have a great reputation. Every time I drive by I see a lot of european cars there, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, etc, etc.

They also have other locations around the Metro Detroit area, but I only have experience with the Royal Oak location

Autometric Collision

1 - 10 of 10 Posts