BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, total noob to the forum and the M5. i just purchased a 2006 M5 SMG with 39k miles. the car has been sitting for a couple of months (or maybe longer) and i had it towed to me. i tried to start it but the battery had gone belly up. put in a new battery and everything came to live. i tried to start it but the engine wont get going. the starter keeps going and going but it wouldnt start. i did some reading on the forum and found that i should hold the gas pedal down about half way and that did the trick. the engone started but it sounded like a diesel truck. i mean it was loud, sounded like something was banging inside. it also wouldn't stay running on its own. i kinda got worried and just turned it off thinking there maybe no oil in it. the oil lever shows about half way and said OK but i will have someone come out and do an oil change on the spot before i reattempt to start it again. im just really worried about the noise, anyone have similar experience after the vehicle being stored or not driven for a long period of time ??

·
Registered
431 Posts
It is normal to sound like a diesel till it warms. I would try a couple more times to get it running. just give it a little gas to keep
it running. Mine had the same problem when I bought it because it had been sitting on a dealer lot for a while.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, i got it via online purchase with looking at pics. i knew the car had been sitting but the car was very clean and only 39k miles so i decided to take a chance and go for it. the oil change guy should be here soon, i will try again when it has some fresh oil in it. will update you guys when i retry. i hope it doesn't stay sounding like this....and nothing in the engine is broken...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Congrats, but you should be the oil change guy :hihi: not someone else

·
Registered
314 Posts
Did you make sure you used the right oil?

Castrol Tws 10w-60 synthetic oil from BMW?

Make sure you use that oil and that oil only.

The m5 is one picky/spoiled sob lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so got the oil changed (which was clean but it was all in the bottom) with the dealer recommended 10-60 castrol and lubed the beast up...started it up and in about 30 sec it was runnin smooth as a kitty. thank you for the input guys, love the forum! will post some pics of my new toy ASAP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts