BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have just bought a 94 L M5 3.8 5 speed in Avus Blue and now need to attend to the following and would appreciate some advice.............firstly there is a banging noise coming from the rear suspension (I think) could it be bushes or could it be see below..........

The car has EDC and the button doesnt light up at all,never, also according to my handbook when the iginition is in position 2 there should be a dash light on.........not on my car, no light in the speedo binnacle..........can anybody help??

Regards

Matt

·
Registered
868 Posts
TRACKMEISTER said:
Hi
I have just bought a 94 L M5 3.8 5 speed in Avus Blue and now need to attend to the following and would appreciate some advice.............firstly there is a banging noise coming from the rear suspension (I think) could it be bushes or could it be see below..........

The car has EDC and the button doesnt light up at all,never, also according to my handbook when the iginition is in position 2 there should be a dash light on.........not on my car, no light in the speedo binnacle..........can anybody help??

Regards

Matt

Sounds like the EDC system has a fault probably caused by a leaking shock or shocks- the computer switches itself off to protect itself. A banging sound from the rear could be bushes or rear shock mounts. Eitherway fixing the EDC system won't be cheap and I'm afraid to say you are looking at some quite serious bills. Still check the Fuses though first before booking it into a BMW dealer or a friendly independent.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
M5 powered said:
Sounds like the EDC system has a fault probably caused by a leaking shock or shocks- the computer switches itself off to protect itself. A banging sound from the rear could be bushes or rear shock mounts. Eitherway fixing the EDC system won't be cheap and I'm afraid to say you are looking at some quite serious bills. Still check the Fuses though first before booking it into a BMW dealer or a friendly independent.
Thanks for that...............will check the fuses, if its a shocker problem I would be tempted to replace the system with non EDC shocks...........can you tell me who does a good shocker set up and where to get them from in the UK??

Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
A non standard kit costs about 2/3rds of an original set up BUT it is not electronic,,, and will deter prospective buyers as i certainly would not have bought mine had it not been original

It also looks good on the history if the owner is prepared to spend that bit extra on the upkeep of the car mmmmmm mmmmmm

:M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Don't get me started on EDC. I ditched it in favour of Schnitzer and am very happy with the results. Steve's point about future buyers has as many ups as downs IMO - many people are deterred from buying a 3.8 because of the cost of shockers

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Apologies old bean just my personal opinion :byebye:

No offence to any of you guys :15:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Steve Mac said:
Apologies old bean just my personal opinion :byebye:

No offence to any of you guys :15:
Yes I would agree with Steve, I'd be put off by a car without the EDC system in place especially as it is bloody good IMHO. The only time I'd switch to non electronic dampers would be for a specific 'lose your teeth' track setup which S mode is not far off anyway.

Best

M5 Powered

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
M5 powered said:
Yes I would agree with Steve, I'd be put off by a car without the EDC system in place especially as it is bloody good IMHO. The only time I'd switch to non electronic dampers would be for a specific 'lose your teeth' track setup which S mode is not far off anyway.

Best

M5 Powered
I agree. I'd stick to EDC. If you spread the cost over the 80000k miles you are likely to get then it is a ( slightly anyway ) less bitter pill to swallow.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Are we not all jumping to conclusions here?

It could be the bulb in the switch has blown! There's certainly been a lot of bother with this switch recently on this board. If the EDC isn't working then check control will say so. Try a new switch for £50.........

The banging from the rear end could be the subframe bushes. If they're really worn the subframe hits the floor. Its a common problem with the E34 (and E30 for that matter) and worth checking out first. Don't leave it too long because the wiring harness takes a beating.

The poor chaps just bought this car and already we're telling him he needs to spend at least £2.5k..............

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the onboard warning system isnt saying there is a problem so fingers crossed................I wonder why the EDC light on the dash (near the speedo ) isnt lighting up...............Im getting it looked at tommorow all will be revealed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Would agree with ECM4 - When ever I've had an EDC fault the Check Control has shown it.

Someone metioned fuses. I think that there are also some fuses which relate to the EDC under the back seats.

Steve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts