BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saved an 2000 Dinan M5. Only 92k miles, but it has been neglected all it's life. I've found most of my answers on this forum, thank goodness! It has been a godsend. It needs a lot of work. However, there are a few questions I couldn't find answers to. Forgive me if I missed it. I have been a member of Powerstroke forums for years, and I understand the frustration of the same questions being asked over and over again.

1 - On cold startup, I've noticed 2 things: a slight rattle noise for a few seconds, and a pump whine for about 30 seconds before shutting off.

2 - Occasionally, when driving, there is a loud/apparent rattling, that appears to be coming from the passenger area, but I cannot tell for sure. It seems to rattle with the RPM's and with bumps in the roads.

3 - The factory fuel gauge only reads to 1/2 tank when completely full, and it will drop very quickly after filling up.

4 - Randomly, the car will die when cruising to a stop. It starts right back up, though.

5 - Does anyone know the part number for the passenger rear door plate? Or a good place to find a replacement?

6 - Is there anyway to determine what Dinan stage my car is? (Ex: S1, S2, S3)

As always, I appreciate any and all help/input! :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am thinking the whine you are asking about is the secondary air pump. This is normal.
I would guess questions 3 and 4 are related... either a relay or pump going bad... this seems to be a common issue I have read many times over on the forums..

Sorry I can't help you any more then that... still learning about the beast myself.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Just saved an 2000 Dinan M5. Only 92k miles, but it has been neglected all it's life. I've found most of my answers on this forum, thank goodness! It has been a godsend. It needs a lot of work. However, there are a few questions I couldn't find answers to. Forgive me if I missed it. I have been a member of Powerstroke forums for years, and I understand the frustration of the same questions being asked over and over again.

1 - On cold startup, I've noticed 2 things: a slight rattle noise for a few seconds, and a pump whine for about 30 seconds before shutting off.

2 - Occasionally, when driving, there is a loud/apparent rattling, that appears to be coming from the passenger area, but I cannot tell for sure. It seems to rattle with the RPM's and with bumps in the roads.

3 - The factory fuel gauge only reads to 1/2 tank when completely full, and it will drop very quickly after filling up.

4 - Randomly, the car will die when cruising to a stop. It starts right back up, though.

5 - Does anyone know the part number for the passenger rear door plate? Or a good place to find a replacement?

Use the search when you can! Welcome and enjoy the new ownership.

1) Rattling noises is coming from Vanos without oil pressure for only brief period of time. '00 models have old version, while newer 01+ have update vanos line to help with this. My car does this every cold start. The humming sound for first 60 seconds, is from secondary air system to pump fresh air into exhaust to reduce emission during cold start.

2) You may have to investigate that rattling sounds related to motor. Check every undertray, check everything.

3) Your fuel sender system may be not working as it is not sending fuel to other tank to fuel pump so I would say your fuel pump suffered from it. Please refer to test on OBC secret test. (do a search on this and there is a instruction to unlock the OBC)

4) Fuel pump probably needs to be replaced as it was starved from faulty fuel sender unit. Also make sure the relay is good.

5) I am not sure what are you asking about rear door plate.

6) Call Dinan directly and they may able to help you out. Do you know what dinan products currently installed on your M5. Do you still have the Dinan stickers in engine bay?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks! I have searched a lot, but some things I must have not searched correctly.

1) Rattling noises is coming from Vanos without oil pressure for only brief period of time. '00 models have old version, while newer 01+ have update vanos line to help with this. My car does this every cold start. The humming sound for first 60 seconds, is from secondary air system to pump fresh air into exhaust to reduce emission during cold start.

I had read this, but wasn't sure if it was normal Vanos rattle, or if it is a sign they need to be replaced.

2) You may have to investigate that rattling sounds related to motor. Check every undertray, check everything.

That's my plan. I just wasn't sure if it may be related to the Vanos.

3) Your fuel sender system may be not working as it is not sending fuel to other tank to fuel pump so I would say your fuel pump suffered from it. Please refer to test on OBC secret test. (do a search on this and there is a instruction to unlock the OBC)

I will be sure to look this up and give it a shot.

4) Fuel pump probably needs to be replaced as it was starved from faulty fuel sender unit. Also make sure the relay is good.

This makes sense. Sometimes the car pulls harder than it does other times. A bad fuel pump would certainly do that.

Sorry, I couldn't think of the right word. I meant door "sill."

6) Call Dinan directly and they may able to help you out. Do you know what dinan products currently installed on your M5. Do you still have the Dinan stickers in engine bay?

The only stickers I see in the engine bay are the green and black BMW stickers. Anywhere I should look, specifically? From what I can tell, it has Dinan exhaust, Dinan CAI, Dinan front strut brace, and maybe a Dinan tune, but I'm really just guessing on that one. I have not pulled the wheels to check out the suspension components yet. It does have the Dinan emblem on the rear.
Thank you so much! My replies are in red. :D

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

+1.
A breakdown for the OBC Secret Menu.
View attachment e39-m5-secret-menu.pdf

·
Registered
12,952 Posts

2. Check suspension from under the car. There are lots of rubber bits that go bad.

4. In addition to checking the fuel pump relay, change the fuel filter unless you have proof of recent service.

5. Rear door sill plate can be found on real.oem. Just walk through the menu, plug in approximate build date of your car and you can find all sorts of parts. If you still can't get it, post here (you probably don't have enough posts to PM), I may have it somewhere.

6. Contact Dinan with your VIN. If it was ordered from/through a Dinan distributor, they are supposed to keep track. If it was added second hand, much tougher. BTW, be careful with nomenclature. S2 (470 hp)and S3 ( 620 hp) usually refer to complete builds on the car, often confused with different suspension builds which is stage I, stage 2 and stage 3. People often interchange.

Why do you think your car has Dinan parts?

Regards,
Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts