BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

New owner - 850CSi

51K views 89 replies 36 participants last post by  Mirsad 
#1 ·
I was recently presented with an opportunity to buy an 850CSi and, given their rarity in this part of the world, I simply couldn't let this one pass me by.
Finally a couple of weeks ago, it all fell into place and I'm now the proud owner of one of these fantastic machines.

This car is one of the seven non-UK spec RHD CSi's that were ordered with kilometer speedo's and delivered new to the following countries:
Hong Kong (2)
Singapore (2)
Australia (3)

Mine is CC88064, one of the two Hong Kong cars, in Sterling silver with Anthracite buffalo leather and the optional "Style 5" BBS wheels.
The car was brought to New Zealand in 1996 by its original owner.

I am the car's third owner, and the total mileage is now 26,574 km.

This is the BMW I have dreamed of owning for a good many years, so now to finally have one is almost unbelievable.
Naturally I'm over the moon, and feeling very lucky to own such a rare beauty.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Beautiful! Can we see pics of your glorious engine bay? Congrats on such a rare find!

Reactions: BMWWGN
#6 ·
Thanks chowdah

Comparison is difficult, as the car is such a step-change from the iconic E23, E24 and E28 machinery I've owned.

The 850 CSi itself is equally iconic of course, but in a modern sense, and to drive it certainly feels like a more modern and (dare I say it) real-world experience - less delicate/fragile than for example the E28 M5, with superb build quality and a massive road presence.

The car's looks are to die for - it's got to be the most beautiful and timeless modern BMW ever produced - and it just shrinks around you when you're behind the wheel.

The same old analogy has been made in the past, but I still agree that it's like piloting a jet fighter!

Reactions: chowdah
#5 · (Edited)
Congrats again!

:applause: :goldcup: :imnotworthy:

#9 ·
Yes I know of that car

Yes that csi had been on sale for a while. It was quite difficult to negotiate sensibly with the previous owner so congratulations on finally snaring it. I'm gathering that you might be NZ based or even Wellington based like me. If so I'd love to see it in the flesh sometime. I'll bring along my E24 M6 to compare. Im sure that theBMW club will be really interested in making contact as well. Congratulations once again. Kiwiphil.

#10 ·
Thanks Kiwiphil.

The last time it was for sale was 2009 and did not sell at that time.
I'm based in Auckland, so you might not see the car in your neck of the woods for some time!

BTW, I am a BMWCC member.

Cheers

Reactions: thevintage
#14 ·
Thanks for all the comments, guys.

I've got a few maintenance items planned for the car, to get her up to a standard befitting such a rare and beautiful machine:
- Headlamp adjustment
- Front suspension thrust arm bushings, replacement
- Lower sump pan gasket, replacement
- Final drive pinion seal, replacement
- Headlining, replacement
- Driver's seat twist (up-down mode), repair

I'll also be treating her to a full Inspection II service, followed by paint detailing and wax.

The interior is in great condition, but will still benefit from some leather treatment.mmmmmm

#16 ·
always loved the 8 series nice find congrats whats the csi like to drive. ive driven 850 840 but never a csi

#17 ·
The CSi is very much a different beast to drive compared to the 850Ci and 840Ci.

On paper, the relative performance figures don't exactly jump out at you, but I can assure you that driving it after either of these two cars was for me a life-changing event!
Having said that, I haven't yet driven the 6-speed manual 840Ci Sport (M62), which I'm told is a pretty impressive machine.

I guess the step up to the CSi is not unlike slipping behind the wheel of the E39 M5 after the very capable 540i.
But for me, the CSi just does it even more convincingly.
Not only is it a very, very fast machine, it also has masses of torque from relatively low revs so, like the E39 M5, it doesn't really matter which gear you're in, you still get that solid push in the back of your seat.
It's a big car, but as I've said previously, it just shrinks around you once you're behind the wheel.

Of course it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I'm completely smitten by this car - and that's really saying something, since my last car was a gorgeous E28 M5, itself a very satisfying, feel-good driver's car.:M5thumbs:

#21 ·
Thanks Ben,

Yes, Bob did ask me if he could print the letter, as he thought it made an interesting story of how I came upon this very rare car.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I haven't seen the printed version for myself yet, as my copy of the mag (June 2013) is not due to arrive here for another few days.

Cheers

#25 ·
Thanks for all the good comments.

With winter here in Auckland showing signs of easing off and a hint of an early Spring in the air, I decided to take the CSi for a drive today.

It was so good to get back behind the wheel again after nearly 3 months of inactivity (due to an accident/injury in early May, I've been unable to drive anything but an automatic until now).

Anyway, she drives beautifully, just as before, and as the pictures show, the weather was conducive to taking in some quieter country roads, out of the city.
Total mileage now 26,750 km.

Next I'll be getting the headliner replaced and then an Inspection II service, for which I now have all the necessary parts.
Just need to get some Castrol Edge 10W60 oil.

Attachments

Reactions: Ferrari-Bmw
#26 ·
Awesome findg

Good catch! Enjoy it to the fullest!

#28 ·
Update 11 November 2013

Just a quick update on the CSi:

The 'Inspection II' service is now completed, with all the usual items plus the following additional work:
- diff pinion seal replaced
- oil filter housing tube seals replaced

So no more annoying leaks.:)

I've also reattached the rubber skirt to the engine acoustic cover, as it had come adrift (see pics)

The pictures also show I'm now in the process of restoring the headlining, by removing the original lining, removing all old foam residue and laundering the fabric, before attaching new 3mm closed cell foam backing to it.
This keeps the lining material original, albeit with an improved foam, and also means I won't need to re-trim the A- and C-pillars or the sunroof motor cover, as they are in great condition and will of course be a perfect colour match to the refurbished headlining.
I was concerned that the fabric might shrink in the wash so tried the cleaning/laundering process first on one of the sunroof liners.
Using minimal detergent on a warm wash delicate cycle with no spin, the fabric was line dried in the shade and it came out pristine with no shrinkage at all.
So I'm quite confident I can repeat the process with similar success on the main headliner and remaining sunroof section.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.