BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Ben,

Yes, Bob did ask me if he could print the letter, as he thought it made an interesting story of how I came upon this very rare car.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I haven't seen the printed version for myself yet, as my copy of the mag (June 2013) is not due to arrive here for another few days.

Cheers

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for all the good comments.

With winter here in Auckland showing signs of easing off and a hint of an early Spring in the air, I decided to take the CSi for a drive today.

It was so good to get back behind the wheel again after nearly 3 months of inactivity (due to an accident/injury in early May, I've been unable to drive anything but an automatic until now).

Anyway, she drives beautifully, just as before, and as the pictures show, the weather was conducive to taking in some quieter country roads, out of the city.
Total mileage now 26,750 km.

Next I'll be getting the headliner replaced and then an Inspection II service, for which I now have all the necessary parts.
Just need to get some Castrol Edge 10W60 oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Awesome findg

Good catch! Enjoy it to the fullest!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update 11 November 2013

Just a quick update on the CSi:

The 'Inspection II' service is now completed, with all the usual items plus the following additional work:
- diff pinion seal replaced
- oil filter housing tube seals replaced

So no more annoying leaks.:)

I've also reattached the rubber skirt to the engine acoustic cover, as it had come adrift (see pics)

The pictures also show I'm now in the process of restoring the headlining, by removing the original lining, removing all old foam residue and laundering the fabric, before attaching new 3mm closed cell foam backing to it.
This keeps the lining material original, albeit with an improved foam, and also means I won't need to re-trim the A- and C-pillars or the sunroof motor cover, as they are in great condition and will of course be a perfect colour match to the refurbished headlining.
I was concerned that the fabric might shrink in the wash so tried the cleaning/laundering process first on one of the sunroof liners.
Using minimal detergent on a warm wash delicate cycle with no spin, the fabric was line dried in the shade and it came out pristine with no shrinkage at all.
So I'm quite confident I can repeat the process with similar success on the main headliner and remaining sunroof section.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Beautiful car. One of my "objects of desire".

Question: Can you please tell me which are the different M-Badged items on the 850 CSI? Thanks.

Regards,
Slfan

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks slfan,

In answer to your question, there are no M-badges on the exterior of the 850CSi.

M-logo's can be found on the door sill plates and the centre engine acoustic cover.
Some earlier cars also had an M-logo on the gearshift knob.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Further update on the CSi's headliner refurbishment:

I got the remaining lining sections from the trim shop yesterday - the main headliner, the sunroof liner and the A-pillar linings (we decided to re-do these as they were showing some deterioration - C-pillar linings are fine).
I cleaned and laundered them all last night, and here they are drying in our spare room!

The cleaned and dried fabric sections were returned to the trim shop this morning, so they can now proceed with the attachment of the new closed-cell foam and reinstallation of all headliner parts.

Stu the shop owner says the CSi has attracted a lot of interest and admiring looks from passing clients and others, in the two days it's been there.

The whole job should be completed by close of business tomorrow, but I'm not pushing them as the priority is for a high quality finish and it doesn't worry me if I don't get the car back before the weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Here are some headliner update pictures.
New closed-cell foam was fixed to the fabric and the linings then glued to their respective panels - just some finishing to do around the edges of the main headliner.

I'm thankful that Stu took his time with this process, resulting in a very high standard of finish so far.
The weekend will allow the adhesive to fully cure and fumes to dissipate before installation.
By Monday afternoon it should all be back together again!

I've also thrown in some pics showing the stripped out roof area of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
looking good my friend!

I think changing that clear center light next to the sunroof switch to the black version would match your headliner nicely. I plan to do that on my CSi.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks, yes it's going to be great driving her without the sagging headliner - it really was starting to annoy me and certainly detracted from the driving experience.:wroom:

As for changing the light colour, I'm going to try and keep this car as original as possible so I'll pass on that mod for now, thanks.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Some earlier cars also had an M-logo on the gearshift knob.
Correction - just noticed an error in this statement, which I'll correct here.
For your reference:
All US-spec CSi's and later Euro-spec cars had the M-colour stripe on the shift lever (not the M-logo).

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
This is an amazing car!! Beautiful. I would trade my e60 m5 for that in a heart beat.
There are just two small problems with that scenario:
1) the steering wheel is on the wrong side for you.
2) I would never trade this car for an E60 M5.

But thanks for the compliments!

21 - 40 of 83 Posts