BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading information from this site for a few months now and 2 days ago I took the plunge and have upgraded my 2001 530i Sport to a 2001 facelift M5..!!!

The car has done 142k miles, first owner was a woman who clocked up 120k miles. It drives like it has done half the miles, very minimal wear on the interior and exterior - feels like an eternity since I had a car with a sunroof on it takes me back to my E34 days..!!!

Thought I would post a few pics of the car.
Cheers :M5launch:

·
1,934 Posts
Congratulations - that looks really nice.

But I have to admit that the first thing I thought was "Nice...except the eyebrows."

Hey, each to their own, though - it would be a dull world indeed if we all liked the same...

YG

Reactions: harry d

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome to the only car that you'll never want to sell (well, that how I feel about mine!!). A fine looking wagon, but as per previous posts, not sure about the 'frowning' look.

Splendid anyway and welcome aboard!

Marto.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well done!
Looks a nice car.
I like the black kidneys

Reactions: harry d

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the warm welcome people, i'm in 2 minds about the eyebrows but hey it's an easy thing to take off if I get bored of that look.

I have a couple of questions wondering if someone can advise -

* I get a strange squeak 'fan' belt sound when I drive which goes faster as the engine goes faster - something to worry about?

* When turning the steering wheel to the left at slow speed specially it makes a strange squeak sound, only when turning left - is fine when turning right.

* Looking at the car from the rear, the 2nd parking sensor (if you start with the one in the left hand moulding as 1st one) I think it may be faulty as PDC light flashes and when I did the ear test couldn't hear any clicks/sounds from it - is this easy to take out and replace or is it bumper off?

* Lastly, the folding mirrors are out of synch - don't want to take off any door panels, was hoping i can take out the driver side window control and that may have some sort of wires going to it for the mirrors which I can check?

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Harry,

Welcome from a fellow recent UK purchaser! I know when I replaced the PDC sensors on my 540i I was able to do it without removing the bumper and reach around behind the bumper and pull the faulty sensor back and out. I think some locations are harder to do than others, but I can't remember whether 2nd sensor from the left is one of those trickier ones where the bumper will need loosening - I'm sure an expert will be along shortly to advise...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome, just want to sort out the little niggles I have as per my previous post then will be happy - to be honest am happy even as it is..!!!

Hope the professionals can guide us along with their great wealth of knowledge on all things E39 M5...!!! :biggrinbounce:

·
1,934 Posts
Turning left squeak sounds like a power steering grumble. Mine did it from around 180,000 miles but it never leaked or did anything else so I just lived with it.

Mirrors out of synch. What do you mean? When they fold? When they pop down to let you see the kerb when you reverse? (Because only the passenger side one does that)

PDC is a PITA. Don't now about replacing sensors but mine caused lots of aggravation after the car was hit in a carpark - basically the easiest thing to do was pop out the box in the offside rear wing and park the traditional way...
Cheers,

YG

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi YG, have got the folding mirrors to fold in synchronized just followed other members advice about swapping the blue and white wire so that's all good.

I'm quite used to the pdc so will replace the dodgy sensor at some point in the near future.

Not sure what's going on with the belt squeaking sound and also when turning left more of a annoyance than anything else hopefully!

·
Registered
707 Posts
when looking at your ex 530i and m5, you got some addiction to the eyebrows, you have to get rid of it somehow. :D :D :D
and the old license plate was more suitable for your nick. :D
congratulations on the upgrade. ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when looking at your ex 530i and m5, you got some addiction to the eyebrows, you have to get rid of it somehow. :D :D :D
and the old license plate was more suitable for your nick. :D
congratulations on the upgrade. ;)
Hi, I know alot of people don't like the eyebrows but it's something I have always liked - guess it's not everyones cup of tea but is mine for the moment anyhow.

Paperwork for the number plate swap should be here in the next day or 2 so will be put on the M5.

Cheers :cheers:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts