BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After considering a newer F30 sedan to upgrade my 540/6 DD, I ended up with a car one year older...
Was looking for a car I could easily mod to get more power than the 540 and figured another 100+hp would be fine, just didn't plan to have it in another e39.

The car needs refresh of the suspension bushings but had all records.
Previous owner changed oil every 4-5k with LM 10-60 and did whatever was recommended for repairs (stuff like washer fluid reservoir cracks me up).
In the past 5.5 years he spent over $19,000 for the 61k miles it covered in his possession, that's $.31/mile less depreciation for those curious of operational expense if you don't DIY.

I've ordered up all new suspension F&R, cam position sensors, MAF's, PCV kit, plugs, coil packs, motor/trans mounts, and am looking forward to feeling the improvement those make.
My 540 was night and day after I freshened up the suspension and some cam/knock sensors so I'm sure it will feel the same.

Thanks in advance to all those who's posts will be helpful in my new project.
I know how to use "search" and Google so I can hopefully keep the idiocy to a minimum.

Any other maintenance items you'd recommend beyond changing all fluids and swapping in an e60 shift rod with fresh bushings?
No codes now, I'll see if the VANOS warrants anything more than seals after doing the other maintenance items.

Thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Congrats! I think I know which car you bought... I contacted the seller simply because the price was too good to be true. Glad it went to an enthusiast & board member! Great pickup, looks like a solid driver with great history. I actually ran a Carfax on the car... let me know if you want a copy.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,510 Posts
Congrats! Pics!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Congratulations and welcome! It sounds like you are well on your way to maintaining her properly. Oxford is such a rare color to see. Please post up some pictures when you can.

·
Registered
541 Posts
After considering a newer F30 sedan to upgrade my 540/6 DD, I ended up with a car one year older...

Was looking for a car I could easily mod to get more power than the 540 and figured another 100+hp would be fine, just didn't plan to have it in another e39.

The car needs refresh of the suspension bushings but had all records.

Previous owner changed oil every 4-5k with LM 10-60 and did whatever was recommended for repairs (stuff like washer fluid reservoir cracks me up).

In the past 5.5 years he spent over $19,000 for the 61k miles it covered in his possession, that's $.31/mile less depreciation for those curious of operational expense if you don't DIY.

I've ordered up all new suspension F&R, cam position sensors, MAF's, PCV kit, plugs, coil packs, motor/trans mounts, and am looking forward to feeling the improvement those make.

My 540 was night and day after I freshened up the suspension and some cam/knock sensors so I'm sure it will feel the same.

Thanks in advance to all those who's posts will be helpful in my new project.

I know how to use "search" and Google so I can hopefully keep the idiocy to a minimum.

Any other maintenance items you'd recommend beyond changing all fluids and swapping in an e60 shift rod with fresh bushings?

No codes now, I'll see if the VANOS warrants anything more than seals after doing the other maintenance items.

Thanks!

My 540 is in oxford and I love the color.

I will be getting to the maintenance stuff on the M5 after I get all the wiring and interior sorted. May leave it down for an extra couple months to catch up on some items needed on the 540i.

Congrats on the purchase!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats! I think I know which car you bought... I contacted the seller simply because the price was too good to be true. Glad it went to an enthusiast & board member! Great pickup, looks like a solid driver with great history. I actually ran a Carfax on the car... let me know if you want a copy.
Thanks for the offer, I ran one too because I thought the price was a little low but it cam back clean.
I really hadn't looked at them all that seriously until recently and it was the first one I went to see.
The car was well maintained mechanically and has Dinan CAI, exhaust, strut/shock tower bars and rides on some blue springs, Dinan? with Koni sports.

The leather needs a little love, I wiped it down with Leather Honey last night and after a day it looks quite a bit better. I may take it for a carpet cleaning, definitely was a coffee drinker too. Most my car interiors have been black, now I remember why, anyone have the trick to cleaning up Caramel color carpet?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations and welcome! It sounds like you are well on your way to maintaining her properly. Oxford is such a rare color to see. Please post up some pictures when you can.
Thanks, I have a habit of going a little overoard on maintenance for old cars I buy.
Here's a couple from the ad, I'll post some more after I get it cleaned up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Thanks for the offer, I ran one too because I thought the price was a little low but it cam back clean.
I really hadn't looked at them all that seriously until recently and it was the first one I went to see.
The car was well maintained mechanically and has Dinan CAI, exhaust, strut/shock tower bars and rides on some blue springs, Dinan? with Koni sports.

The leather needs a little love, I wiped it down with Leather Honey last night and after a day it looks quite a bit better. I may take it for a carpet cleaning, definitely was a coffee drinker too. Most my car interiors have been black, now I remember why, anyone have the trick to cleaning up Caramel color carpet?
Well you are in Seattle so isnt that par for the course? :)

I would recommend if you can to find someone with an extractor to give it a good clean. I was unable so I use spot shot works awesome I also have carmel and if possible the job becomes 10 times easier if you are able to remove the seats.

Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Looks like somebody got to go to the dog park in style! Many guys like UK based Liquid Leather for bringing back damaged leather. You can see some nice results here. Thanks for sharing and keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Cool! Coil packs probably not needed. Original ones seem to go for a LONG time with no problems. All 8 of mine are original and that seems par for the course.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I err on replacing stuff that is old and plastic now after having a coil fail on an X5 and several on my 540.
This spring I'd like to take a road trip with this car and will be updating the cooling system before then too.
Anything that helps prevent my car crapping out unexpectedly for little $ is worth it.

Got a chance to wash it today

Attachments

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Congratulations! Nice/rare color combination. GL with the leather restoration. Leatherique is a good source.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Welcome :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome :cheers:
Nice, dark green really looks great on these!
Can you post an interior picture or two so I can see what the Anthracite looks like?

I'm thinking of ditching the brown wood I have for something a little darker or black.
I've always hated wood interior but with the Camel it fits ok, just not my preference.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Nice, dark green really looks great on these!
Can you post an interior picture or two so I can see what the Anthracite looks like?

I'm thinking of ditching the brown wood I have for something a little darker or black.
I've always hated wood interior but with the Camel it fits ok, just not my preference.
Sure thing, a bit hard to capture in photos. A lot better in person, and looks great with Caramel interior

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Welcome to the Oxford club. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So after 19 months, 12k of hassle free driving and the below work done, I'll be listing it shortly.

Did 20 piece Lemforder kit, new Koni adjustable Yellows over Dinan springs, Dinan rear sway, Dinan tower brace, Dinan tune, plugs, coils, thermostat, oil/water temp senders, PCV system, plenum gasket, new hubs and wheel bearings front and rear, Michelin PSS, belts, all filters/fluids, Dinan exhaust, new shifter carrier and small parts with e60 Shift rod

Great car but I bought another silver one with an absolutely pristine interior, exterior, an insane amount of preventative maintenance, along with some cool mods, that I plan to have share DD duties and can't really justify keeping both.
Will be posting an actual FS ad after I get the interior leather restoration finished

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts