BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I never really thought of it this way and I'm curious to know what you guys think.

Basically, without getting into an oil-debate, I have a MY2000 and I use the factory spec TWS 10w60 Motorsport. I've gone through about 2 qts between my last oil change (98K miles), and I now have a touch over 100K miles. So, thats like a qt. per 1000 miles. I don't drive her hard, maybe only give her the beans one out of every ten rides.

Since I'm not re-ringing and sleeving the block anytime soon, I've decided to live with the oil consumption as just par for the course on this motor. However, I'll be switching to less-expensive Castrol GTX 10w40 high mileage to keep feeding the thirsty beast.

My roomate suggested something to me about oil consumption, basically and engine that is consuming oil and requiring new oil every so often should theoretically be a cleaner engine. Since, it is in effect, recieving an "oil change" every mile, to a certain degree.

Anyone ever thought of consumption this way? I tend to have to agree with him... couldn't hurt things (unless you run dry on oil completely!)

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily say you have a cleaner engine but you definitely have fresher oil in the engine more often than the rest of us whose engine's don't consume oil since you have to keep adding more. You could probably have longer oil change intervals because of this.

Things have to add up quickly continually using TWS which is NOT the end all be all oil for this engine so I don't blame you for trying something else out.

To add, I wouldn't say this is a new idea on oil consumption. If you have ever done or even read about Used Oil Analysis done by outfits like Blackstone Labs, they factor in whether you had to top up and how much you topped up in their analyses.

Do you think your engine is dirty to call it cleaner since having to add more oil?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'll have to disagree a bit here, unfortunately. The method of oil leaving the engine is by burning and that leaves more carbon on the piston and exhaust valves than just gas.

cherrsagai

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think your engine is dirty to call it cleaner since having to add more oil?

Luckily, I havn't had to see inside to know if it's cleaner or not :cheers: I'm just trying to decide if I should stress out over the consumption or not. I'm thinking a switch to more cost effective 10w40 high mileage shouldn't kill my engine or make much of a difference with consumption.. but again, I don't wanna turn this thread into another "will this oil kill my engine" thread!

So far the comments havn't been "OMG noob! burning oil is like, totally bad n stuff!", so that's good. I take it the consensus is that this is common and not the end of the world, or the end of an S62.

·
Registered
194 Posts
This is just a thought, but if the engine oil is dirty and being consumed at a significant pace, could there be particles (i.e. metal) introduced to the cylinder, valves, and spark plug? So along with burned oil in the chamber there are also tiny particles that the filter may not have caught yet. Again, just a thought. I don't think there would be any major particles or have any effect on the engine. ;)

Ryan

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
481 Posts
if i put 1 qt of clean water into 6 qt of sewerage, would you drink it?

i thought not-

well thats the same as thinking your oils cleaner because you add a new qt here and there

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
FYI, probably gonna end up switching to this stuff: Mobil/1 qt. SAE 15W-50 full synthetic extended performance motor oil (98JD41) | Engine Oil | AutoZone.com_

At around $8 a qt. is a lot nicer than $12 a qt. And as far as the weight is concerned, there shouldn't be much difference between this and the 10W60 stuff recommended.

It starts to add up, since my typical oil change (7qts) plus about 4qts in between 7K mile change intervals, you're talking a difference of $44 every 7K miles.
Yeah, at today's prices that's about half a tank of gas. False economy. Have you prices Vanos solenoids lately? I think the price of TWS is the least of M5 owners financial worries.

I get 4-500 miles a liter on TWS. I do run Mobil 1 0W-40 during the winter (because it is more appropriate for this climate) though and get about 700 miles/liter.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
FYI, probably gonna end up switching to this stuff: Mobil/1 qt. SAE 15W-50 full synthetic extended performance motor oil (98JD41) | Engine Oil | AutoZone.com_

At around $8 a qt. is a lot nicer than $12 a qt. And as far as the weight is concerned, there shouldn't be much difference between this and the 10W60 stuff recommended.

It starts to add up, since my typical oil change (7qts) plus about 4qts in between 7K mile change intervals, you're talking a difference of $44 every 7K miles.
I really like the 5W50 Mobile1. Haven't tried the 15W50 nor will I since I'm in Canada and only change oil once a year. I pretty sure 911's use the M1 5W50.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I really like the 5W50 Mobile1. Haven't tried the 15W50 nor will I since I'm in Canada and only change oil once a year. I pretty sure 911's use the M1 5W50.

I use it in the 996TT. It is a listed oil for Porsche, but not OE fill. the 5W50 is oe fill for the Ford GT, couple of ferraris as I recall,.

An extraordinary oil, with nice low wear on start up and still 50 weight for higher heat environments.

OP $44 over 7k miles? Are you serious? You will spend $1500 for fuel for those 7k miles.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have thought of this myself. I've only put ~7k miles on my car since I've had it and done just 1 oil change (TWS) , but with the amount of oil I keep having to add I think I'll be going this route and just change the oil filter every 3-5k miles.
Maybe people could pitch in to do an oil analysis down the road and see how bad it is.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just an observation from my MY 2000. I can usually go around 3000 miles without adding oil after a change to fresh TWS. After that I need to add about 1 Qt every 700 to 1000 miles. This, to me, means that the oil is beginning to break down after 3000 miles and freshening the oil by adding a Qt of TWS makes no difference at all - definitly not cleaner oil compared to a change...

It will be interesting to see what your consumption is after you change to a different viscosity / oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts