BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
I just had my 2002 M5 in to the Dealer to check a few things. While there I had a non-scheduled oil change performed. While I was paying and looking over the bill, I noticed the oil change entery listed the oil as 5W-30. I asked the service advisor about this and he took me to my car, poped the hood and showed me a sticker on the radiator area. It said BMW recomends 'BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil' I don't have any old pictures of the engine area, so I don't know if this is a 'new' label. I have bought oil from the parts counter specificly for the M5 in the past - Castrol TWS 10W-60 was given. Now I just bought a case of oil and it is BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil, Distributed by: BMW of North America, Inc. Maybe this is repackaged Mobil 1?? A fix for heads that carbon up? Has anyone noticed this change? Or service notice?

Here is a pix of the top of the radiator and a close up of the label. are these labels on you car or did the BMW dealer just put these on? :confused:

Let me know if you don't have the same label, Thanks!!! Any thoughts about this apparent change of oil weight/type?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The 2002 always had a sticker for the 5W30 oil, and this was the recommendation. In 11/02, BMW added 10W60 oil as a recommended oil for all M5s. Earlier M5s had the 10W60 oil as the ONLY recommended oil. I use the 10W60 in Summer, and 5W30 in Winter. Either is fine in your M5.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Digi said:
The 2002 always had a sticker for the 5W30 oil, and this was the recommendation. In 11/02, BMW added 10W60 oil as a recommended oil for all M5s. Earlier M5s had the 10W60 oil as the ONLY recommended oil. I use the 10W60 in Summer, and 5W30 in Winter. Either is fine in your M5.

Thanks for the input. I was concerned that the right oil was not being used.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts