BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

New OE clutch & rear seal in!!!

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  dmccrary90025 
#1 ·
Guys:
Well, it is done.
I went with the stock clutch, for cost reasons, and I now am driving a new car, or so it feels. Got the rear seal done too. $560+parts from Crevier totalling just under $800. The best part is I can walk to my mechanics' shop. The car is completely different in feel, and shifts so much more solidly. I can't tell you how good it feels. The clutch was smoked: the SAC mechanism fried, and the friction disc coming apart in layers!!!! The flywheel, guide rod, pivot fork and bearing were all re-used.
I am a happy camper.*
:2:

*(did I mention that I now have to drop off the car to have the t-stat and coolant pump replaced? UNDER WARRANTY!!!! Yeah, baby!)

#2 ·
ALEV8 said:
Guys:
Well, it is done.
I went with the stock clutch, for cost reasons, and I now am driving a new car, or so it feels. Got the rear seal done too. $560+parts from Crevier totalling just under $800. The best part is I can walk to my mechanics' shop. The car is completely different in feel, and shifts so much more solidly. I can't tell you how good it feels. The clutch was smoked: the SAC mechanism fried, and the friction disc coming apart in layers!!!! The flywheel, guide rod, pivot fork and bearing were all re-used.
I am a happy camper.*
:2:

*(did I mention that I now have to drop off the car to have the t-stat and coolant pump replaced? UNDER WARRANTY!!!! Yeah, baby!)
Hey, why aren't you joining us this Sunday for the drive around Mt Palomar? CLutch still workin OK? Goin for mine after our SUnday ride.

#5 ·
CSBM5 said:
Recently did the same here except with new flywheel also...excellent results too. Carefully break the new clutch in however! See this link: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=555313&postcount=7
I had my clutch replaced by the dealer earlier this month (under my list of fixes after initial purchase). I wish I had seen this thread back then. I asked them for specific instructions on "breaking in" the clutch and got no info. So for the first 600 miles or so, I was just taking it easy - making sure that the clutch was fully released before stepping on it. And not going too high in RPM, but not shifting as low as recommended here. But again, that seems to only be required for 30 Km.

#6 ·
That 30km is the initial break-in procedure. The complete break-in is much longer:
"When a vehicle is moved "normally", an empirically established figure of approx. 800-1000 gearshifts is applicable to an optimally broken-in lining."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.