BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a new Nikon D2X camera along with some nifty lenses last week so I thought I'd treat you guys to some new pictures of my M5.

All cleaned up in front of the house (10.5mm fisheye)

A little Photoshop trickery (10.5mm fisheye)

A classic shot with a twist (60mm micro)

The usual badge shot (60mm micro)

Without these big reds, I'd have gotten into some trouble. :hihi: (10.5mm fisheye)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Very nice !! but...I'd lose the visor stickers...I used GOO-Gone or Goof-Off...very easily done..Apply liberally to decal (over spread is ok) a minute or so and decal will "melt" and allow to be easily peeled.

Nice camera..I have a Canon D60.My widest glass is a 16-35 mm.You've got me looking into a fisheye now !

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Nice, but Nikon? Kidding, I happen to be a Canon shooter myself.
The tach shot is very nice and artistic. The interior shot is cool....what PS filter?

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just for fun...I threw this one together.

For those of that asked questions, I used a combination of different filters. Radial blur with the "zoom" setting and the motion blur.

The grille insert is part of the M-technic package which I had custom painted thanks to a fellow board member who originated the idea.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
More great pictures from Jason! Thanks for sharing them with us. I just wish I had the touch for photos like many of the members on this board do.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Fantastic work as usual, Jason! Any chance for a 1024x768 or a 1280x1024 rendition of the M5 badge for my PC desktop? It would replace my old one (also one of yours - the blue M5 blurred one) for over a year.

:cheers:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow, that fish eye really makes your house look huge. Oh wait, never mind, the house IS huge. :hihi:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
What size it the image sensor on the D2x? Is the 10.5 a 'true' 10.5, or does it shoot like a 16. (I've got a D100 and you pay when trying to do wide.)

Nice work-

A

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Hey man, I hope those are your mechanics gloves and you just forgot to take them off for the shot :wroom:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Those are some great pics, Jason....How do u get that interior photo with the nice effects...

Ed

B

·
0 Posts
Great photos. I have to agree with others here, that interior shot is sweet!

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Fantastic work as usual, Jason! Any chance for a 1024x768 or a 1280x1024 rendition of the M5 badge for my PC desktop? It would replace my old one (also one of yours - the blue M5 blurred one) for over a year.
:cheers:
Jason ... D2X is really nice piece of Nikonware. Do you find it a bit heavy?

Did you get also get a Speedlight ... SB-800?? ... OR??

What lenses are playing with?

Oppps .... I'm with Elevens ... The "M5 Badge" is my FAV!

Give us somethin' that we can use on our desktops.

Nice work! :flag:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Jason,
WOW- as usual- so maybe it shouldnt be WOW- but it is. Very nice pictures. Ive been wondering about the D2x. Id like more pixels than the D1x has, but Ive read some worrying things about the fact that the D2x uses CMOS instead of CCD and cant shoot faster than 1/125 with the flash (very useful for many situations). But I am not weddded to either CMOS or CCD as I dont understand enough and frankly, your pics make me want to take the info I read and toss it. So do you have any dislikes on the D2x / Whats improved over the D1x? Worth it to make the trade? Also, what kind of bracket / brace did you use for the interior shot where the outside is bluring? How'd you do that in photoshop? just blur those sections? Sorry for all the questions- just trying to learn more and more! :)

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok, thanks everyone for the kind compliments! I've been getting quite a few requests for the M5 shot for a wallpaper. Let's see...

Here is the M5 badge in almost full resolution, wallpaper so please right click on the link and choose "save target as." The image itself is 1600x1063. Unusual proportions since it's native to the D2X. The original image size is 4288x2848!!!

Some information about the D2X:

It has several sizes that can be used. The full maximum size is 12.4 MP which is about 4288x2848. The nifty part about this camera is that you can quickly change it to the high speed cropped mode which gives out 3,216x2136 images which is about 6 MP. In full mode it takes pictures at about 5 frames per second!!! In cropped mode, that jumps up to 8 frames per second!!! It's quite a cannon at those speeds! Speaking of speeds, I've tried it out with the SB-800 and it maxes out at 1/250 but I'm not sure if that's because of the CMOS or whether it'd be possible to go any higher than that. I just picked up this camera last week so I'm still learning about all it's features! I like what I see so far though! I've been able to take some pretty amazing pictures thus so far. It's LIGHTNING fast! Especially the reaction times! I just have to press the shutter speed and it'd fire instanteously! I don't think I'm going to ever have to worry about catching that sweet shot anymore. And to think I thought the original D1 was fast. I skipped the D1X, D1H and the D2H to get the D2X. I'm happy that I did. It's about the same weight as the D1 which means it's not too heavy for me. It's well proportioned so I'm able to hold it quite easily. And BTW, I used a special piece of equipment to take that picture, my brother! He was kind enough to sit back there and take that picture for me. I thought about trying to set up a tripod though.

That picture was actually taken while moving slowly up a straight section of street by my house. I then selected everything "outside" except for the sunroof area and then used the "zoom" feature (good setting) in the filter > blur > radial blur. I then selected the rear view mirror and did the same. It took some tweaking to make it look "right." I then finally selected the sunroof area and used the motion blur filter ensuring that I used the right "angle." I printed the final results in 8x10 with my new Canon i9900 printer which BTW is quite AMAZING to say the very least! I want to try printing it out in 13x19 and frame it. It'll make a nice picture for my ever growing collection of car photos!

Yup, I was working on the car and forgot to take the "mechanic" gloves off. :hihi: Just kidding, :rolleyes: those are the BMW driving gloves, heheh... never go anywhere with the M5 without them! I think that I should probably try wearing a bomber jacket and some huge dark "top gun" style sunglasses next time, eh? Might look a wee bit more menacing that way. What do you think? :blink:

Jerry, I'll be more than happy to tell you about my own impressions of the D2X via PM/email. So, shoot me an email and I'll do my best to tell you about it. I will share this with you, I LOVE it!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts