BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Ive aquired an E34 3.6 M5 last week. Macau blue with Champagne Leather and 3.8 alloys.

Really really impressed with the car. Just to let all of you know, mine has 195,000 miles on it, yes its had lots of work in the past (£12000 in last 4 yrs). These engiens are amazing, its been tested and gives 317 bhp! Engine is excellent health and never had a rebuild.

Its done all motorway miles in its life which exlpains why its so good. But to make Stock power at this mileage and be in the state it is really says how good these engines are.

The only small problem I have a clonking noise from the front going over bumps. Ive jjst got brand new engine mounts fitted which werebadly worn and thats taken away some of the noise.

Any idea what this could be? Ive owned E30's for the last few years so no idea on the suspension on these things. Its hadbrand new shocks and springs less than a year ago from BMW, so its not shocks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Cyrus,

Get a reputable mechanic to check out the suspension (possibly worn bushings), something either has play or is loose under the car, also, take
a look at the shifter connections and the exhaust hangars as they will cause clunking noise if they're loose or if any parts are missing, whatever you do stay away from spirited driving/high speeds until you get it check out.

Garcia

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Garcia,

The exhaust was fine, its defo the suspension as I get some bad tramlining.

I'm keepng me speeds very low and no hard cornering. Its defo a front bush or something not bolted in properly. I'm going to get under it t'morrow to see what it is.

Oh did some looking into my mileage, its done 65k in the last two years, the guy has done pure motorway miles in it and replaced nearly everything in the process. I was worried it was all in town driving but since its motorway driving, this engine is still very young in terms of wear. Its certainly got the grunt everywere and rips apart my old Alpina C2 2.7.

I think I will add my MBE engine management system sonner rather than later, should liberate a few more horses and give better torque spread......and get rid of the MAF.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Cyrus said:
Thanks Garcia,

The exhaust was fine, its defo the suspension as I get some bad tramlining.

I'm keepng me speeds very low and no hard cornering. Its defo a front bush or something not bolted in properly. I'm going to get under it t'morrow to see what it is.

Oh did some looking into my mileage, its done 65k in the last two years, the guy has done pure motorway miles in it and replaced nearly everything in the process. I was worried it was all in town driving but since its motorway driving, this engine is still very young in terms of wear. Its certainly got the grunt everywere and rips apart my old Alpina C2 2.7.

I think I will add my MBE engine management system sonner rather than later, should liberate a few more horses and give better torque spread......and get rid of the MAF.
Hi!
It`s propably the anti-roll bar links. One on each side between anti-roll bar and lower (strut arm?) . It`s a ca 6 inches long metal bar with a bush in each end.
These are often the first things to check when low speed clonking appears.
Cheap to check/replace.

By the way, I wouldn`t tamper too much with the engine management/MAF, it`s good as it is and "chipping" won`t give you any benefit of importance. Many of the cars that have "blown" their engines and haven`t been abused are cars that had been chipped and thereafter gottten problems with fuel mixture on higher revs. Hole burned in a piston/pistons is the result.

Just my humble opinion...

:cheers:
Sakke

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must admit the car has more than adequate performance and driveability. So I will probably sell my MBE. It takes someone very experienced to map it properly and as correctly stated above, any fuel anomolies higher up the rev range will cause damage to the engine.

Will check the anti roll bar links, clonking noise getting louder, better get it looked at by the weekend.

Also, the car seems to make a growling deep thudding noise from the back.. The subframe bushes were changed in November and the gap between the subframe and body is about 1.5 inches or so......so they are fine. Im thinking diff mount + prop doughut.

Just liek to say everyone is extremely helpful here. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts