BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,
i recently purchased 2001 le mans blue with black/blue interior and aluminum trim. i had a lot of experience with e36's. i previously owned 2 m3's and i still have 328is. i purchased the car from my best friend who was buying a new car for himself and i just couldn't allow him to trade his m5 so here i am. my friend purchased the car 5 years ago with 15000mls and now i have 53500 on the odometer. the car was serviced in bmw dealership only and had clutch and brakes replaced about 10000 mls ago. it's bone stock right now.

i do have couple of questions :
1)i was reading that using k&n filters is bad for maf sensors on m5s. is this true or false?
2)temperature gauge is never in the middle. when its cold outside like 20f to 32f ,the needle is just a bit over the first line. and when its like 40 to 50 f outside the needle is almost in the middle. is this normal or should i get a new thermostat. the reason why i'm asking is because in my all of my 3 series the needle was always right in the middle regardless of the outside temp.
3) i noticed when i'm slowing down the brakes are making noise ...it's like a deep sound(not scraping) and it only happens at low speeds. is this something a should look at concedering the rotors and pads have been replaced? (on my m3 brakes became noisy but this was after i put ceramic pads, on my m5 the pads are stock), oh and tires are goodyear gs d3's

again hello to everyone on the board and i thank everyone ahead on their suggestions and inputs.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
the k&n air filters are bad for the mafsso that statement is true. if you want a nice airfliter go with the bmc air filter they are verylightly oiled i blew mine out with compressed air and let them sit standing up with a rag underthem to get off any risidual oil have put them in and no issues with mafs and that was 30k ago.

the temp needle is also not normal your thermostat is sticking open i just had mine replaced for the second time under warrenty my needle sits a hair below half mark now and when in traffic right in the middle . so i would replace the thermostat it also improved my performace and fuel economy case the car goes to closed loop

i have also found the m5 stock breaks give a little bit of groaning at low speeds so i would think that is normal im also assumeing thats what you mean

best of luck with your new beast and welcome aboard
feel free to ask any questions this board is filled with very imformative guys

also my best recomendation is change your oil every 4500 to 5000k thats what i do and i have 91k on the clock and still running strong
i would also get some maf cleaner from crc and clean out your mafs i would also pull apart the upper plenum and clean out your throtle bodys and the inside of the plenum i would also change your spark plugs and but a fresh fuel filter

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the k&n air filters are bad for the mafsso that statement is true. if you want a nice airfliter go with the bmc air filter they are verylightly oiled i blew mine out with compressed air and let them sit standing up with a rag underthem to get off any risidual oil have put them in and no issues with mafs and that was 30k ago.

the temp needle is also not normal your thermostat is sticking open i just had mine replaced for the second time under warrenty my needle sits a hair below half mark now and when in traffic right in the middle . so i would replace the thermostat it also improved my performace and fuel economy case the car goes to closed loop

i have also found the m5 stock breaks give a little bit of groaning at low speeds so i would think that is normal im also assumeing thats what you mean

best of luck with your new beast and welcome aboard
feel free to ask any questions this board is filled with very imformative guys

also my best recomendation is change your oil every 4500 to 5000k thats what i do and i have 91k on the clock and still running strong
i would also get some maf cleaner from crc and clean out your mafs i would also pull apart the upper plenum and clean out your throtle bodys and the inside of the plenum i would also change your spark plugs and but a fresh fuel filter
thank you for a quick and great response.
do you think i can wait for another 10k to change the plugs and fuel filter or should i do it now? i have 54k almost.
thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
With regards to the the thermostat it does sound like the symptoms for one stuck open.

Besides having that taken care of, I highly recommend just to go ahead and buy a Peake reader.

It will become your best friend very quickly. And better to buy it now than when you really need to trouble shoot something immediately and you don't have one onhand.

Should throw a code 69 for the thermostat being bad.

Congrats and good luck with your new car. :M5launch:

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
K&N's

Good advice so far, but I disagree on K&N.

You can use K&N, but, and this is a big but, you have to make sure that you dry out the filters before using them!! Most people overoil and the oil on the filters will eventually ruin the MAF's (not a big deal, most folks use replacement MAF's designed for a VW).

Some folks also think the difference in airflow between stock and K&N not worth the hassle.

So, IMHO, you can use K&N (Dinan does with the CAI), but when oiled, they must be bone dry before using. I would suggest letting them sit for at least a couple of days to make sure they are dry before installing.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
i would say now but there is no harm in 10k to change them. and by the way i had the k&n in my car and switched to bmw and the throttle responce got better

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you for your answers. anyone knows if e39 m5s came with the plastic or metal impeller on the water pump. is this something known to fail often like on other bmws? i tried searching but couldn't find anything... thanx

·
Registered
138 Posts
The original ones were metal but the updated factory part has a plastic impeller. Don't know when they switched off the top of my head.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Congrats and welcome.

Everyone has their opinion on the K&N's. So here is mine; if there is even the potential that they cause a problem, I would change it. It's a highly replaced part anyway, so why aggrivate it.

+1 on the Peake

1 - 9 of 9 Posts