BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:D Hello fellow members.

I purchased my 1999 E39 Oxford Green M5 in Oct 10 with 112k on it and joined the forum in Dec 10.

I picked up the car for £4400. Admitedly there is a couple of things wrong with it including a vanos rattling that's on and off (sometimes no rattle at all), broken anti roll bar bracket (cheapest part ever purchased from BMW), two new tyres for the rear, rear window regulator and the mirror on the passenger side does not fold (just makes a clicking sound). Other than these nothing else really just a little cosmetic issues which is to be expected for a 11 year old car. :wroom:

This is my fourth BMW I have owned and my second M car as I had a Techno Violet E36 M3 Evolution once which was a present for the wife. I sold my R33 Skyline GTS-T to buy the M5 and it was the best thing I ever did.

I will post some pics soon once i have given her a good clean.
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Welcome to the board!!

Tons of knowledge here. take advantage of it and get your ///M running sweet on your own. Save a ton of money and spend it on mods. Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Welcome !!

Rare colour too !

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome
You are in the best place to get some of the great euro parts we all would like. Enjoy the autobahn with your M5, what a lucky man!
Dave

·
Registered
595 Posts
Welcome along!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. S62 - I am looking forward to wasting some rubber. Will have to pick up some spare tyres when I am next in the UK as they are cheaper there than Germany.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new beast:cheers:

Have you had any problems with the TÜV, because of the RHD:dunno:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No problems with using the car over in Germany just had to change the lights for use on the right.

Just added a couple of pics not the best as my lad took them on his phone. Will post better ones once I have given the car a good clean at the weekend, weather permitting of course. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
719 Posts
Welcome, enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Welcome! My friend Saliya has the same color M5 and it's the only one I've ever seen in person. Beautiful car in a rare color indeed!

Tim

PS When you said you changed the lights for RHD do you mean you changed the entire assemblies? Or is there something you can do with the projectors?

·
1,939 Posts
Welcome! Aren't you glad UK spec M5s have that little lever to flip from left hand to right hand headlights...

But £4400. Jeez, I thought they'd stopped depreciating :(

There's lots of useful info on here, and you really can save a packet. But if you're coming back here soon you couldn't pick up a set of winter tyres for me, could you? They have to be cheaper there than here...

;)

Cheers,

YG

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Welcome! Aren't you glad UK spec M5s have that little lever to flip from left hand to right hand headlights...

There's lots of useful info on here, and you really can save a packet. But if you're coming back here soon you couldn't pick up a set of winter tyres for me, could you? They have to be cheaper there than here...

;)

Cheers,

YG
YG, can you elaborate on this lever? I have an opportunity to get some UK-spec headlights but I'm unsure about what it would take to make them suitable for LHD vehicles. Are you saying there's an easy way to convert them? I figured there needed to be so that UK drivers wouldn't blind everyone else when they're on the "correct" side of the road, but I couldn't find any definitive information.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These levers that are in the lights are only for temp use in Europe but if you are there for the long term you will need the correct lights for which ever side of the road you are driving on as they will not pass a tuv/mot on switching this lever over alone as they do not give the correct beam aim.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PHP:

;)

Cheers,

YG
The guy I guess was just desperate to sell as he took it as part exchange and then he realised he was not into big cars so got rid of it cheap as he thought there was a massive issue with the vanos.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts