BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! New member, but not new to the website or BMWs. Had an E46 330xi 6 speed for a couple years and had to let it go unfortunately due to some financial prioritizing. I am currently driving a decent, reliable volvo just as a commuter car until I graduate college within the next year or so. I am contemplating getting back into another BMW. There is obviously no other feeling than when driving one, and to be honest I didn't find maintenance costs to be as high as everyone made it to be when I owned my e46. I have learned a lot about BMWs over the years and I actually learned to do quite a few DIY projects on the e46 when I had it.

Here is where I need some opinion and help..I would most likely be purchasing this vehicle as a weekend gem rather than DD, I plan on driving the Volvo into the ground. Now here is the thing, I am thinking M5 instead of 540 because the car will not be a DD, pretty much a weekend garage queen. And I see the 540 as more of a sublte DD What do you guys think? I have contemplated many other vehicle such as the e39 m5 or 540, e46 m3, and Volvo s60r. I was hoping I could get some personal insight from some of you. Even though I am a little far away from making the official purchase i like to do as much research as I can before actually biting the bullet. I love cars and I won't just hop into something without knowing its in and outs. I know the M5s have the issues with vanos in the 2000 models so I am looking for 2001 and newer and also because of the 16:9 nav screen and upgraded headlights. I also know about the rod bearing issues at around 100k miles and I can imagine these things eat tires for breakfast.
I had a muffle delete on my e46 and i would probably be doing it on the next e39 I get as well. Any other advice or input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Welcome to the board. Best advice: go drive a few.

If you are a DIY person, then maintenance on either e39 is not going to be daunting. Then it comes down to whether you can justify the additional cost for the additional power.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the board. Best advice: go drive a few.

If you are a DIY person, then maintenance on either e39 is not going to be daunting. Then it comes down to whether you can justify the additional cost for the additional power.
Thanks! I have driven a 540, but not an M5 so I guess that's whats next on my list. Its really a tough decision for me for some reason

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Welcome to the board.

The 540 is a very good car in its own right, but the M5 is the next level. The rod bearing thing well, no body told mine, as hers are still original at 156K. As for the tyre wear; they are actually quite kind to them, unless of course, you like driving sideways. Also, the maintenance costs for an M car will be higher than your old e46 330, but not that much more than a 540 (beware of the "M" tax).

Get out and start driving a couple of good examples of each of the cars you are considering and follow your gut. Good luck with the search, and be ready when the right one finds its way to you.

·
Registered
470 Posts
They certainly can eat tires for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner...

You should definitely drive one to see the difference between the 540i and the M5. I have not driven a 540i but have considerable experience with an e38 740iL, and yes they are quick cars but the M5 is a fast car. An extra 112 horse power and 40ish ft-lbs of torque help a bit.

It would would be a crime in my opinion if you didn't daily drive it but to everyone their own. I have been daily driving my M5 since I bought it, including through the winter and it has proved to be an excellent all around car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with you all as far as driving a couple..unfortunately the closest one for sale is about 150 miles away. I really do believe I need to drive a couple in order to determine a good one from a bad one..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Where I live there's tons of them for sale, but most of them have ridiculous price tags. I've driven a couple hundred miles in my uncle's E39 M5 and it is a completely different monster than what I have (but at least my interior looks similar!). Hope that one day I'll be an M5 owner along with all of you.. :3:

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Personally, I think an M5 is totally wasted as a weekend car. It's brilliance lies in it's daily driving competence. If you're getting a weekend fun car, why are you hugely compromising in the name of practicality (mid size 4 door sedan)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts