BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came off the motorway on Friday night letting the car slow and come down through the gears itself, reached the junction found was clear enought to go, speed too slow for third so flipped the paddle and changed down into second.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Pressed the accelerator and car shook – only for a few seconds - a bit like axle tramp, lifted off and reapplied power as traffic was coming car seemed to recover / correct itself. Made a mental note to ring BM service on Monday ….. little did I know.<o:p></o:p>
Decided to stop off and get some food, car stationary for maybe 20 mins.<o:p></o:p>
Starting off again changing up around 3000 rpm, into second about 30mph.<o:p></o:p>
Changing up into third the engine revs rose, but car did not pick-up speed.<o:p></o:p>
The gear number started flashing - then BANG gear selected - the jolt was enough that I thought I had been rear ended, at the same time I wasc greeted with the message saying “Transmission Failure”<o:p></o:p>
Car went into limp home mode and manage to get me the two miles back home.<o:p></o:p>
At the time of writing I’m waiting for BMW roadside to come and collect the car.<o:p></o:p>
Their diagnostics should be interesting, the car has only done a smidgen over 48k (purchased with 22k on clock). <o:p></o:p>
Sorry to admit I have never used launch control and never hit the 8k red line.<o:p></o:p>
Now I will see what BMW’s warranty is like and whats covered …… watch this space for updates.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> OK, so the mobile technician arrived this afternoon and ran diagnostic tests on the car.
Three faults were found all relating to the SMG they were:

4F83 - Engage 3/5 gear not possible
4F80 – Gearbox problem: Gear cannot be engaged
4FA0 – Clutch (activation, position deviation) – Activation, clutch: static set point / actual value deviation of clutch

(The above codes and descriptions were all taken from the notes that the technician kindly left me).

The fault codes were reset and the car taken on a test drive by the tech-guy.
Further diagnostic tests were run again on his return, the faults code had not returned.

His recommendation was to “drive the car as you normally would and call again if the problem returns”…...
I called my SA who advised me to bring the car in so they can check it further.

More updates to follow …..

Gonzed
The car’s build date is August 06, first registered October 06

·
Registered
7 Posts
M5 -Transmission Failure message too..

Hi all,

I'm new on here. I've owned my M5 2007 (57 plate) since July 2010 bought from BMW Canary Wharf with an extended warranty with 14,531 miles on the clock.

So I was driving home late on friday evening through an urban area, had pulled over briefly. The engine was runnign then before setting off again I decided to press the M sport button, and the moved the gear lever to try and see if I could drive the car in M sport mode but in Auto (the reason for this is my bro in law - has an M5 in Dallas, Tx too, informed me that I could do this, however the BMW dealer at Canary wharf stated that when the car is in M sport mode, you can only use paddle shifts when in m sport mode.)

So anyway the gear numbers on the centre console flashed for a second and then "red cog wheel symbol" appeared and i got the message " Transmission Failure" message. I was only about 1.5 miles away from home so I managed to get home slowly - but the car went from 2nd gear to 4th gear, but missed 3rd gear.

Anyway, this was the first time something like this happened and i didn't think to ring BMW emergency services, I just decided to go home and see if the car would be ok the next day and would take to BMW then.

So on Saturday I started the car up no problems and drove down to my BMW workshop (BMW Scotthall - Watford) and a service desk guy told me that now that the car was driving fine and without any problems that there was probably no point in booking the car in for a check. He stated that the computer would not have stored the fault codes as nothing seemed to be wrong any longer and I would probably end up wasting money for a 1 hour diagnostic check which would show nothing as no fault code would be stored. He said even though I had a warranty, because the diagnostics would probably show no error code, then BMW warranty wouldn't cover the labour cost - as they'd say there was nothing wrong with the car.

So I drove the car yesterday and today fine without any problems at all, drove it on M sport in the motorway and again no issues at all, no error messages. I do have a couple of related questions

1) Should I book the car in with BMW to get checked out, even if costs me 1 hour labour - is it worth it? it all seems fine, but I want to be sure.
2) Was the dealer right about being only be able to drive the car in M sport mode via the paddle shift?
3) I realise there is probably no easy answer for this, but I'm a bit surprised that I had an error like this the car has done 14,500 miles since new so I didn't really expect any problems such as these so early in it's life? Could it have just been a electronics malfunction?

Advice and help greatly accepted...
thanks in advance...

·
Registered
101 Posts
The dealer should want to check the car out and if you press the issue they probably will without it costing you a dime. The red cog warning is very common and some of us have seen this warning and had no real problem associated with it. But most, I would say, eventually had an issue resurface at a later date. Also there is no sure diagnosis of why the warning appears. The SMG transmission is a very complex piece of equipment and there are so many things that could go wrong. When it works properly it is magnificent though and when it does not, it can be very mysterious, even to the technicians that work on it. (BMW really does not give the techs adequate training on the SMG.)

M mode is fully adjustable through the i-drive settings menu. Press menu then press the i-drive knob straight down, select settings and you should see the menu of your m button configuration. and yes you can select it for auto mode.

Good luck

·
Registered
917 Posts
I really don't understand BMW and their dealers. Its not like they haven't seen this pattern before? Both of you need new transmission, new clutch and a new software - I really really despise the approach these morons take that if they close their eyes the customer and their problems will just go away.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I really don't understand BMW and their dealers. Its not like they haven't seen this pattern before? Both of you need new transmission, new clutch and a new software - I really really despise the approach these morons take that if they close their eyes the customer and their problems will just go away.
Wiat...what? New transmission? Why?

That beeing said...when are people gone LEARN that these cars aren´t some 520i that can manage 200.000 miles with the same clutch?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Tranny not that big of an issue for most or at least from everything I have read about problems. Clutch, flywheel,pump, software seem to be the main red cog issues. and then tranny problems because these things never seem to be properly addressed by BMW techs. The shop forman at my shop said their dealership has never replaced a clutch on our cars before. That's crazy!!! My car still has issues and they do not have a clue what is going on. But again they are at the mercy of BMW.

If you replaced an SMG every time you saw a red cog, there would be no BMW.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To M V10 - I think Trol was talking about a new clutch, new transmission, new software about BMW and their dealers sarcastically? I don't think he meant me and the other member?

I've done 14,500 miles and my car is a Dec 2007 model!!!! Surely I can't be needing anything as drastic!

Thanks for the replies..

·
Registered
101 Posts
To M V10 - I think Trol was talking about a new clutch, new transmission, new software about BMW and their dealers sarcastically? I don't think he meant me and the other member?

I've done 14,500 miles and my car is a Dec 2007 model!!!! Surely I can't be needing anything as drastic!

Thanks for the replies..
I do not think so. I believe in another post, I recall trol saying something about being on his 3rd transmission and maybe 4th clutch? Could be wrong.

·
Registered
917 Posts

Thanks for the replies..
When it fails to engage specific gears, it usually means that the worn clutch or impaired flywheel have damaged that specific gear.

I am not a mechanical engineer but unfortunately I have been through the drill 3 times on two different E60 M5. The problem is caused by faulty software in earlier (up until model year 2007) cars that fails to degrade performance gracefully and keeps trying to engage the gears when it shouldn't. I am not saying it definitely is the case in your cars but it is the safest bet from your point view to get all three replaced if you can. Why? Two of my transmissions were replaced after the original warranty had expired and the dealership simply chose to do the bare minimum leaving the gremlins inside the car while it was under warranty.

I admit, it would be difficult to get these thieves to do what is right, so your mileage may vary. I got lucky that I purchased extended warranty literally 300 miles before the original one was expiring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So had the light come (red cog) on briefly yesterday night as I went out for a quick drive... I rang BMW emergency services - they said to call an engineer out during the daytime for a report. I'm definitely going to send it in to BMW.

Strange thing is, I stopped the car an restarted the engine and the fault message disappeared!

Will let you guys know what happens...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts