BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just got home after a weekend in Leavenworth Wa for the 2019 "Leavenworth Drive", the M5 drove great and turned a few heads along the way. Even 7 months pregnant my wife was a trooper and came along.
It is incredible how these cars can make what is about a 3-hour drive feel like no time at all.

The only issue I had was about 2/3rds of the way there I got an error message saying "tire defect", after a quick search in the owners manual it appears that is supposed to mean I have a flat tire. When I got the message I slowed down and got off the road when I had a chance. After checking the pressures in all 4 tires, they were all right on. I did not have cell coverage in the area where this happened so we continued one and once we did have service I found some instances of this error message online.

As I understand it, this message is triggered when a wheel speed sensor notices that one wheel is spinning at a different RPM than expected and assumes that is because tire pressure has dropped making the size of the tire different and causing different RPMs. Am I understanding that correctly?

My assumption is that the sensor is either failing, gone bad, or is just experiencing general electrical issues. From what I read online, it sounded like a dealer or someone with a programming tool could turn this feature off?

Curious what others have done with this.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
That is how the RDW system works. You can inactivate it pressing the TPMS button once. Not sure what you mean asking what others have done with it. I use mine.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
My assumption is that the sensor is either failing, gone bad, or is just experiencing general electrical issues. From what I read online, it sounded like a dealer or someone with a programming tool could turn this feature off?

Curious what others have done with this.
I wouldn't try to turn it off. It usually works fine. My experience with this type of system is that there is an occasional "false positive." I would just reset it and see how it goes. I don't take the M5 on long trips any longer, but when I did the Bimmerzone space saver spare provided me priceless peace of mind.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hope it was caused by the rear tires spinning faster than the front tires were rotating!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The "tire defect" issue seems to have resolved its self by resetting the system. So that's good.
Having the week of the 4th of I decided to get up early one day and take the car for a bit of a joy ride to test out my new camera. I recently picked up the Canon 5D Mark IV to replace my 5D III.
If anyone is into photography we can go way down that rabbit hole but all in all the camera is awesome. I think it actually takes sharper photos than my 1DX.

Between the Leavenworth drive and my joy ride, the M5 has seemed to develop a bit of a shake under braking, especially heavy braking.
I've read pages and pages of forum conversations and it seems to come back to thrust arms and "warped rotors", which I know is a myth of sorts. let's call it the simple way of saying uneven deposits on the pads, a potentially stuck caliper or some other brake issue.

This morning I reviewed the documentation I have on the car, and got under it and checked the thrust arms. They and the bushings seem to be fine. no twist or play. Also knowing that the suspension had a total overhaul in 2016, and the car has had less than 10,000 miles put on it since then, I'm inclined to believe its brake related.

Going to pick up some OEM pads and rotors this week and see if that resolved the issue.

Untitled" media="(max-width: 640px)"> Untitled" media="(max-width: 960px)"> Untitled" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

Untitled" media="(max-width: 640px)"> Untitled" media="(max-width: 960px)"> Untitled" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

·
Registered
162 Posts
There is a new foreign repair shop in Gig Harbor called Getie's Garage. They have some serious new equipment, including a Hunter Roadforce balancing machine and a first in the country alignment machine that uses cameras and nothing touches the car. Owner just sold his E39 M5 before he sold his repair business in Salt Lake City and moved to Gig Harbor. Pretty sharp guy with an immaculate shop if you need either of those services if the brakes do not resolve the shaking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
There is a new foreign repair shop in Gig Harbor called Getie's Garage. They have some serious new equipment, including a Hunter Roadforce balancing machine and a first in the country alignment machine that uses cameras and nothing touches the car. Owner just sold his E39 M5 before he sold his repair business in Salt Lake City and moved to Gig Harbor. Pretty sharp guy with an immaculate shop if you need either of those services if the brakes do not resolve the shaking.
Good to know! Thanks for this Dave.
I typically do all my own work, and anything I can't do goes out to a buddy of mine who is a 25 year BMW Master tech and race car builder. Also looking for a good alignment shop though! Those are getting harder and harder to find.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad to hear that car went to a good home! I got a chance to test drive it since I live in Spokane and was in the market. I think you flew in that weekend and picked it up. The vibration during braking was there when I drove it. It didn't seem major, but I didn't have it at highway speeds. Did you take the louder exhaust that he had too? Also, IIRC I think that car had Koni shocks on it. You happen to know if it has the blue Dinan springs or if they were stock springs?

I ended up with a 2000 M5 and the suspension needs work. I did like the way that car rode and was wondering about the suspension set up on it.

Congratulations on the M5 and enjoy! Glad the car stayed in the PNW.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Glad to hear that car went to a good home! I got a chance to test drive it since I live in Spokane and was in the market. I think you flew in that weekend and picked it up. The vibration during braking was there when I drove it. It didn't seem major, but I didn't have it at highway speeds. Did you take the louder exhaust that he had too? Also, IIRC I think that car had Koni shocks on it. You happen to know if it has the blue Dinan springs or if they were stock springs?

I ended up with a 2000 M5 and the suspension needs work. I did like the way that car rode and was wondering about the suspension set up on it.

Congratulations on the M5 and enjoy! Glad the car stayed in the PNW.
Ahhh "the other buyer", nice to e-meet you.
The brake vibration was very minimal when I first bought the car, but since then I've put quite a few miles on it. More than the PO did in the entire time he owned it in my understanding.
I did take the louder exhaust and think I am going to have it welded back on sooner than later. My 540i was easier to hear in the cabin than the M5 is and I miss that to an extent.

The car has the full Ground Control Kit on it.
Ground Control does use Koni shocks as their coilover shock, which is good. I like Koni's had them on my previous e39s. It also has the camber plates and adjustable sway bar end links.
I like the suspension a lot, although it can be a bit harsh at times.

All and all the car has been exactly what I hoped it would. I took a chance not doing a PPI but after seeing the records and spending some time poking around the car I felt pretty confident in the buy. The little work I have done on the car has all proved it to be well taken care of as much as I can tell.

Glad you found one. Did it come out of Spokane as well?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ahhh "the other buyer", nice to e-meet you.
The brake vibration was very minimal when I first bought the car, but since then I've put quite a few miles on it. More than the PO did in the entire time he owned it in my understanding.
I did take the louder exhaust and think I am going to have it welded back on sooner than later. My 540i was easier to hear in the cabin than the M5 is and I miss that to an extent.

The car has the full Ground Control Kit on it.
Ground Control does use Koni shocks as their coilover shock, which is good. I like Koni's had them on my previous e39s. It also has the camber plates and adjustable sway bar end links.
I like the suspension a lot, although it can be a bit harsh at times.

All and all the car has been exactly what I hoped it would. I took a chance not doing a PPI but after seeing the records and spending some time poking around the car I felt pretty confident in the buy. The little work I have done on the car has all proved it to be well taken care of as much as I can tell.

Glad you found one. Did it come out of Spokane as well?
That's right. It had GC's on it. I recalled seeing the yellow shocks and just assumed it was a spring set up. The previous owner didn't drive it much and it was well cared for. The short shifter was really nice in it. You got a solid example of an e39 M5.

That car was actually the first M5 I had actually driven (not a lot here in Spokane). After researching them for the last few years and seriously looking for an e39 M5 for the last 6 months, I started to look at other options (e60 M5, Z4, Corvettes, Camaros). After driving that car, it cemented in me that my next car had to be an e39 M5. I really wanted TiAg, so I kept looking with e39 M5 blinders on.

I found mine in Salt Lake City and had a similar buying experience. No PPI, bought a one way ticket there and the owner picked me up at the airport. Took it on an 1,100 mile road trip back home. Great way to bond with a new car.

Hope to see you and that beauty of an M5 around the PNW!

Cheers!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
When I bought the car from OldToby he had a custom exhaust that he felt was tool loud. I took it with me and am having it installed tomorrow morning. Looking forward to hearing the difference.
In the mean time I decided to clean it up and get a nice coating of sealant on it.

Along with that, it's a bit of an overdue update, but for good reason. The brake pads and rotors for the front are here. I'm hoping this remedies the shake under braking I am getting.

I should have some time in the coming week or two do get through my list of "need to do's" for our 4 cars. Brakes on the X3, Fine tuning on the w111, some sound deadening in the 4Runner, and brakes on the M5. The reason I should have some time...

My wife and I had our first child last week! She is happy, healthy, and with a full head of hair. Both baby and mom are doing well, even the dog has started to adjust. As you can see, I way out kicked the coverage when I convinced my wife to be my wife.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congratulations on the new addition!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thank you!
Exhaust went on this morning, HOLY COW did it liven the car up. Sounds much better, no drone, very deep idle, doesn’t get crazy loud, but definitely sounds like a sports car/exotic-ish.

I’m very happy. Hoping to get a decent sound clip(better than my iPhone) sometime soon and will post when I do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice! What was the difference between the two exhausts?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
862 Posts
Nice story on all counts! FWIW I've gotten a TMPS false positive and fixed by resetting. Also second the recommendation for the donut spare tire.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts