BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have been a long time e39 owner and just yesterday rounded out the collection by picking up an 01 M5. I bought car from forum member OldToby, who bought it a few years ago from forum member stefan.
In the past I have owned a 00 528i, then an 00 540i with a few Dinan goodies. I owned the 540 for just over 9 years. It was a fantastic car but I still always wanted an M5. So, the hunt began. I was ideally looking for an 01+, Black, Carbon Black, Le Mans, or Silverstone, with less than 100k miles. I looked all over the west coast, couldn't find anything in the price range I wanted to stay in that seemed to be worth it, then I saw the ad Toby posted. Being in the same state as me, although across the state from me, this was promising.

After some back and forth with Toby we agreed on a starting number, I booked a ticket, and two days later he picked me up from the airport in the M5.

After a test drive and some inspection/chatting, we sealed the deal and I am now the owner of the Jet Black 01, with Nappa Heritage leather, 86k miles, and a few other upgrades. I'm very excited about the car. It didn't skip a beat doing 80 for the 5-hour drive from Spokane to Tacoma.

There are definitely a few things that need to be addressed, it's quite dirty from sitting in storage so it needs a good detail, I'll probably remove the clear bra, and the wheels need refinishing but all in all, I'm very pleased.
Few photos from a quick stop at the halfway point in the drive.
M5-2" media="(max-width: 640px)"> M5-2" media="(max-width: 960px)"> M5-2" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

M5-4" media="(max-width: 640px)"> M5-4" media="(max-width: 960px)"> M5-4" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

M5-5" media="(max-width: 640px)"> M5-5" media="(max-width: 960px)"> M5-5" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

Just for way of intro I'll post a little more.
The over cars in my fleet are:
13 N55 X3 that my wife drives and loves
Untitled" media="(max-width: 640px)"> Untitled" media="(max-width: 960px)"> Untitled" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

My 1999 4Runner that basically sits at the airport when I travel or is getting dirty offroad
Naches" media="(max-width: 640px)"> Naches" media="(max-width: 960px)"> Naches" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

And my 1962 Mercedes-Benz 220S Heckflosse - long, good story around this car if anyone is interested.
Untitled" media="(max-width: 640px)"> Untitled" media="(max-width: 960px)"> Untitled" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

·
Registered
164 Posts
Oh nice score! It looks like a great example. Must have been a fun drive home.

I have very similar but different cars at my house
M5
X5 manual
E350 wagon
and just sold my sr5 sport 3rd gen, and shouldn't have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh nice score! It looks like a great example. Must have been a fun drive home.

I have very similar but different cars at my house
M5
X5 manual
E350 wagon
and just sold my sr5 sport 3rd gen, and shouldn't have.
That's funny. I have a good friend who just bought a manual X5. It's super cool, they should have made more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The M5 looks clean. Glad that you are enjoying it.

Is your 4Runner manual? I know they made a few of those 3rd gens in manual.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!
The 4Runner is not a manual.
When I was shopping I was set on a 99, limited, with the rear locker, but could go either way on the trans. Similar to the M5 I looked for a while, one popped up that met the criteria and I snagged it. A manual would be fun but offroad the automatic can be nice as well. Based on what I have been seeing out on Craiglist and BAT the manual's are going for big money these days.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Manual X5 diesel would've been awesome. That 220s is very good looking. Welcome from a fellow '01 JB Nappa Heritage owner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank you!
The 4Runner is not a manual.
When I was shopping I was set on a 99, limited, with the rear locker, but could go either way on the trans. Similar to the M5 I looked for a while, one popped up that met the criteria and I snagged it. A manual would be fun but offroad the automatic can be nice as well. Based on what I have been seeing out on Craiglist and BAT the manual's are going for big money these days.

It's no surprise that the prices are rising on those. They are extremely well built trucks.

Let's hear more about the 220S.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I bought the 220S from the estate of the original owner. The story as it was told by his son was that his father bought the car new while stationed in Norway as an Air Force Mechanic. He was stationed there from 60-64, owning the car starting in June of 62.

In late 64 he was restationed in Texas and took the car with him. In 68 he was restationed at Fort Lewis in Washington. He also met his wife around this time. They were married from 68 to 86. She died in 1986 and he says "my father drove the car home from the funeral, parked it, never touched it again."

His father passed in September of 2017, which is where I come into the picture. The car was listed on Craiglist without much of a description but I called the guy, he was nice, and turned out the car was in a garage about two miles from my parents house.

When I showed up the car was pretty well filthy from sitting in a garage for more than 30 years. But, on the passenger seat sat, two original Mercedes workshop manuals, the original bill of sale, and a host of other things. I basically checked the car out, it all looked too good to be true. So I had my father come meet me and get a set of eyes on it that were a little less "rose colored" then my own. He looked at it, motioned to talk to me outside of the garage and said, "you gotta buy this car." So I did.

After not running for more than 30 years I got it running in three days. Driving was another case. That took a little more than a month. Since then it has been a constant tinker.

Couple unique things about the car, then some pics.
It has AC
It has a 4 on the column "hydrak" manual trans. Basically a clutch-less manual that uses the vacuum power of the engine as a clutch.
The engine runs great!
It's completely original. Paint, body, interior, everything looks awesome. It definitely has some character marks but man is it a cool little car.

And now, pics.

Before and after a quick detail

Finally, my Pregnant wife and I wishing everyone a happy Easter last weekend

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome! Sounds like you purchased a solid E39 M5. Beautiful Mercedes you have there.
Thank you.
Just went through your thread on the European Delivery experience. Looks awesome. I love the color combo on the new ride. Don't tell me your M5 has the Carmel interior...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome to the M5 group. Hope I get a chance to run across you while you are out and about in any of your great vehicles!

My story about having E39 540s and then my M5 are similar, except I would get one, part with it, want one, get one, part with it, etc, etc, etc. I do not see ever getting rid of my M5 until I can no longer drive it well. Like you, I am a raging E39 fan.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the M5 group. Hope I get a chance to run across you while you are out and about in any of your great vehicles!

My story about having E39 540s and then my M5 are similar, except I would get one, part with it, want one, get one, part with it, etc, etc, etc. I do not see ever getting rid of my M5 until I can no longer drive it well. Like you, I am a raging E39 fan.
Thanks, Dave. Hopefully, we'll cross paths on the road this summer. For the number of M5's that show up at M5 day and the like, there doesn't seem to be too many folks active online from the south sound area.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Welcome! E39 looks great, Merc looks amazing. Great stuff.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome! E39 looks great, Merc looks amazing. Great stuff.
Thank you! Looks like you have quite a collection of cars!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Wife asked if I’d take her out for breakfast this morning so I got her to agree to ride around with me while I take a few photos since I was finally able to polish out the M5.
In owning it a week in total now, and being traveling for three business days earlier in the week, I’ve put just under 1000 miles on it and just rolled it over 87,000 miles last night. I absolutely love driving the car. It’s definitely different than my 540 was, I now see why everyone talks so much crap about the 540i, although, that’s a hell of a car too.
Now for M5 Pics:
M5-11" media="(max-width: 640px)"> M5-11" media="(max-width: 960px)"> M5-11" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

M5-17" media="(max-width: 640px)"> M5-17" media="(max-width: 960px)"> M5-17" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

M5-5" media="(max-width: 640px)"> M5-5" media="(max-width: 960px)"> M5-5" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

M5-19" media="(max-width: 640px)"> M5-19" media="(max-width: 960px)"> M5-19" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

·
Registered
985 Posts
Looks great!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts