BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a fan of the E39 5-Series. In high school, during my japanese car days, I always knew that when I grew out of that phase I would graduate into a larger, quieter, and practical pinnacle of luxury. Ever since seeing my first face-lifted 5-series in 2001, I was sold.

Fast forward to almost 10 years, and I am finally in the position to pick one up. I sourced a very nice, BMW of SF certified, 1 owner 2001 525i. I got (what I thought) was a great deal, since the mileage was at 75k, and it had a complete service history. It also had the Style 5 wheels (I love them) and was on sport suspension, so it was a great looker as well. I had done massive amounts of research and knew in the near future it would be needing a coolant system overhaul, and the time to replace suspension bits was approaching as well. I went ahead and dived in anyway, and enjoyed that car very much. I ended up replacing the cooling system about 1.5k miles later when the radiator went, (thankfully in a parking lot, where I just pulled it into a spot and called a tow truck).

3 months after the purchase of my 525i, my family is shopping around for a 2nd hand car after my brother sold his project car (an 84 300zx with 300k miles, with an RB on an engine stand waiting to go in as soon as the stock motor croaked). He loved the car to ***** and had been a Z guy all of his life, owning a variety of 300's, 240z's, and 510's, but he had, like myself, hit the phase where it was starting to get ridiculous getting followed by local LE everywhere we go.

So after shopping for a bit he had decided he wanted to pick up something like what I had; a luxurious 4 door sedan that had enough pep and was as comfortable putting around in traffic as it would be at autobahn speeds. It was at this point that the pieces sort of fell into place for me..

Before picking up the 525i, I had been on bimmerforums and here at m5board shopping around, looking to see what kind of cars were for sale. I found a lot of sweet deals and great maintained cars, but unfortunately many, if not most, were too far away for me to realistically buy. After buying the 525i, however, I see VelocityGarage's M5 up for sale. The car is local, clean, and had been tastefully modified, pretty much how I would do the car myself. Here is an attached pic of his car during a show:

mg_8724.jpg

8-15-09-639-179.jpg

Needless to say, I was kicking myself in the head. For a few thousand more I could have been driving the top model E39. It has most of the amenities- PDC, heated seats, working power rear shade, m-audio, nav, brushed aluminum trim, matching color inserts etc. It had lots of miles, but just from looking at it and the mod list, I could tell it was more of a show car than anything. Show car guys usually take great care of their car inside and out, and felt like I missed the deal of a lifetime. I was upset for a while, but settled on the fact that my 525 saved more gas, and although a little (ok, a lot) less powerful, was good enough for it's size and weight.

But when my family decided they needed a car like the 525, I wasted no time.

DSC0061s.jpg

In the end, I cut my family a great deal on the 525, and picked up the M5. So far, i've put about 2000 miles on it, and I've had a smile for each and every mile.

Not sure if I want to continue modifying the car. I've been hearing great things about the powerchip tune and will most likely be moving in that direction. As far as maintenance goes, I did it's first oil change 2 weeks ago, and VG let me know before I bought the car the 5series shimmy has appeared, so i'll be replacing the thrust arms, probably with the EAC units. I may have the Exotics Tuning front lip repaired and reinstalled, since it was damaged before the sale, but I'm not 100% sure as the car is slammed and that lip is too nice to be kissing concrete daily.

I was asked a few nights ago by another M-enthusiast over a few beers that if given the option, would I trade the E39 for anything else. Some of the new M-cars are nice, but I don't think there is one that can replace the E39. I think this M5 is going to the grave with me :D

Afterword:
As it turns out, VelocityGarage was actually a good friend of mine in middle school. We had lost contact since we both went to different high schools, but it's funny how a 4000lb hunk of steel can reunite old friends with the same tastes. After reconnecting, I felt even more confident he wouldn't sell me a POS thrashed on M5, especially coupled with the fact this is the 3rd M5 he's owned.

·
Registered
707 Posts
great story, congratulations with the car. ;)
I guess the next car for the family will be e39 m5. :D

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Grats on the pickup! Those VS-XX look sweet.

·
Registered
189 Posts
FUnny story that car inspired me to get a Lemans blue m5 3 months ago... the Mileage on VelocityGarage's M5 turned me down... i was pretty close to buying it... but damn I regret it.... Sick ride... and Welcome to the M-side..... BTW I got a 510 with a SR its done. But i think I lost my passion im going to part it out

·
Registered
403 Posts
Glad my cousin's car went to a good home.Congrats again! We'll get together sometime to roll just like the good old days when my cousin had it.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Wait, Velocity Garage sold his car? And wait, you bought it off Velocity Garage?

Where was I?

Enjoy it, and welcome :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Congratulations.
VS-XX FTW!

·
Registered
832 Posts
What's the $tag on a set of these wheels? I love them....just not in gold.
About US$3500 for the ones with dish.
They come in silver too or you could just powder coat to matte black (would suit your car JC).
I was looking at buying a set but power is more important at the moment.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Reactions: VacMan

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FUnny story that car inspired me to get a Lemans blue m5 3 months ago... the Mileage on VelocityGarage's M5 turned me down... i was pretty close to buying it... but damn I regret it.... Sick ride... and Welcome to the M-side..... BTW I got a 510 with a SR its done. But i think I lost my passion im going to part it out

I was a little scared of the mileage myself, but he had a folder with comprehensive history on the car and what had been done. My dad had an e30 that ticked to over 250k with no problems (until one morning where it had an intimate moment with a guardrail). Sure, it's quite a different car, but I believe all cars can and will last longer than expected if properly maintained. After driving it, I was definitely sold. And the way I figured it, I'm probably paying 2-3k less than what the car is really worth. The wheels alone, even with a little curbage, could probably fetch 2-3k, so I think I got quite a steal.

Glad my cousin's car went to a good home.Congrats again! We'll get together sometime to roll just like the good old days when my cousin had it.

Definitely interested in meeting up with local BMW folks. Just not sure if your cousin wants to see the M5. Seeing your old car in someone else's hands is akin to watching your ex-girlfriend make out with another guy, just feels plain weird. But i'd love to head to a bar, knock back a few and speak German instead of Japanese for a change :D

As a side note, anyone know of any good local shops I can get the thrust arm replaced? I don't have the equipment necessary in my garage to sit the car down flat at such a low ride height before tightening the bolts..

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts

More than you can afford, Pal.

;)
hahahaha. Fast and the Furious is a gold mine full of terrible acting.

"SWAT came into my house. Disrespected my family!"

Reactions: M55555
1 - 15 of 15 Posts