BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum.

A bit about myself: My name is Sultan and I live in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Cars have always been an integral part of my life ( as is the case with everyone else on the forum I'm sure lol). My dad raced professionally in Europe ( at some point was racing against David Coulthard and Rubens Barichello) and the rest of my family members are proper car nuts as well. Always loved M cars ( older more than recent, which is convenient as I doubt I would ever be able to afford newer ones anyway!) as well as old 911s and had dreamed of one day owning at least ( if fortunate enough) one of each.

A bit about my car and how I got it and why it's all the way in Dubai :'( so a few months ago I finally got to the stage in life where I could (barely) make sense of buying myself a 2nd car. Had a relationship with an exporter in Japan and came across a Petrol Mica E34 M5. Long story short, I bought it, shipped it to Dubai since it's prohibited to import cars more than 5 years old into Saudi :(( and it's now registered in Dubai with my cousin who lives there. We Skype from time to time so it's not that bad ;).

Whenever I get a chance to go to Dubai I do so of course, and hoping one day I can bring it into Saudi. It's the first car I buy used and I have very little mechanical knowledge but hoping I'll learn from this forum as well as through the experiences with my car. It supposedly only has 61,000 kms on the clock and would love to have that verified ( is that even possible?). The interior condition is great ( IMHO) but have never seen another to compare it to. The exterior needs a bit of work and have already started with removing some dents ( new thing in Dubai called paintless dent removing). I'm a bit of a perfectionist so the aim is to get it both mechanically and visually to as perfect a condition as possible.

Anyhow, was writing too much me thinks lol. Attached a photo of my car :biggrinbounce:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Excellent, welcome. Great to have a poster from Saudi Arabia. Car looks stunning in the shot.

The orientation on the throwing star wheels (fronts if I'm seeing correctly) needs changing over.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks uk_bm and Dan Kelly :) will check the wheel orientation the next time I'm in Dubai ( one month, counting the days!).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome to the board, Sultan :cheers:

Waiting for more pics and stories from you ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately so aero H :( I wouldn't dare do that ( trust me), that's the only thing that's really bugging me with the car. I just wish the previous owner didn't do it!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Thanks for the pics - car looks stunning and I never even knew that colour existed.
- Definitely get rid of the nasty side vents - wings are fairly easy to come by. My advice is to stash a pair for now even if you dont do the work for a while.
- The rear tyres look unidirectional. If the fronts are too then you wont be able to swap the front wheels to deal with the throwing star issue. You will have to remove the throwing star covers (bolts from the inside of the wheel) or refit the tyres. I recommend the first route. And if the wheels need a refurb do it while the covers are off, and replace the tyres at the same time.
- To verify the mileage (if you are very lucky) do a google search on the VIN. You may find out something about the car. Or check with the authorities in the country where it has been registered - some may have some data to share with you. I confirmed the history of GE00022 this way.

Enjoy, and keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you MattH :)

-Didn't get the point about the vents/wings? Please elaborate further.

-I just refurbished the wheels. As I said before, don't have much experience working on cars as this is my first time and I only go to Dubai for 2-3 days each time (every few months! :( ) Maybe it would be helpful to post pictures of how the wheels should look? Thanks. For your reference, only two of the pics I posted (1st and one in a garage) were taken after refurbishing the wheels, so that's the current state of the wheels.

- Great advice on verifying the mileage, doing it right now!

Thank you!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the pics - car looks stunning and I never even knew that colour existed.
- Definitely get rid of the nasty side vents - wings are fairly easy to come by. My advice is to stash a pair for now even if you dont do the work for a while.
- The rear tyres look unidirectional. If the fronts are too then you wont be able to swap the front wheels to deal with the throwing star issue. You will have to remove the throwing star covers (bolts from the inside of the wheel) or refit the tyres. I recommend the first route. And if the wheels need a refurb do it while the covers are off, and replace the tyres at the same time.
- To verify the mileage (if you are very lucky) do a google search on the VIN. You may find out something about the car. Or check with the authorities in the country where it has been registered - some may have some data to share with you. I confirmed the history of GE00022 this way.

Enjoy, and keep the pics coming.
Hello Everyone,

I'm back in Dubai to get work done on my car. I'm posting a pic of the right rear tires with the rims on them. They have a " rotation" sign on them and seem to be fitted correctly ( please let me know if that isn't the case). The fronts do not have the rotation signs on them. Based on what MattH told me I'm guessing I should switch the fronts ( right to left, left to right). Is that the case?

Thanks guys and gals appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
M5eezi , you're not going to drive on 2 wheels are you ?

Very nice M5 you have there

There's a lot of low mileage performance cars in Asia , they don't normally get driven daily or on long trips , I'd say the 61,000kms is genuine. I had 52,000km on mine when I bought it (now 57k)

Low kms brings other problems as well as it normally means there were years between regular servicing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts