BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, thought I should introduce myself. I bought my beast last year, MY 2001 Titanium Silver, after years of research (thanks to M5Board) and test drives, I found her (it was more of an impulse buy).

Prior owner installed a Magnaflow exhaust, which I was a bit skeptical about at first since I wanted the car to be completely stock; however, the sound is exactly the same as stock after 2000 rpm. Not sure what the exact set up is, but it was installed to give the car a bit of a "burble" (a'la C63) when idling or a slight tap of the throttle. Debadged door mouldings which kinda give it the stealth look. Best of all are the people who would come up to compliment the car (only from guys unfortunately lol), and was twice offered to sell the car within the first couple of months of ownership. But there's no way I could ever part ways; she puts a smile on my face every time I drive her and hope to keep her forever!

I also bought Blizzak LM-60's on 17" blacked out replica M3 style rims for the winter (I'm based out of Toronto). Currently looking to get an iPod integration. Since I plan on keeping the car as stock as possible, I rather not replace the head unit and would prefer a system that integrates with the current navigation unit. From what I have read, the Intravee II is the best option, though a bit pricey after adding up all the costs and shipping.

Besides the Intravee set up, looking to get my front rims refinished. Summer is just around the corner, finally having 12C weather, so will be switching back to the summers soon. The shadow chrome paint was scraped by the prior owner (see third pic) and has revealed the black coating underneath. Due to the difficulty of matching the wheels, I'll probably have to get all of them refinished. Possibly also going to get the hood repainted to take care of the stone chips, but since it is a silver car, they are hard to notice until you get up close. Frank at Skyline Speed Tuning in Woodbridge takes care of my wheels and tires, and is where I'd go for the hood repaint or any body work.

Also got the dreaded CEL warning a few months ago. Took it to my mechanic in Mississauga, Atilla at Techmax (great guy, took care of my faulty battery, when I was out of the country and replaced it free of charge even though it was BMW's fault). Turns out I have carbon build up in my secondary air pump. Not too much, but he said he can try to clean out as much as he can for about $500, without taking the engine apart, but since it doesn't affect performance or economy, I'm not too pushed about it. The CEL light hasn't come on for about a month, I've been driving quite aggressively now. If anything I may get a powerchip before emissions test.

As for driving roads in the GTA, I usually take it out to Forks of the Credit in Caledon, RattleSnake point up by Milton, and just north of Burlington on the side roads of Appleby Line. If there are any more out in the GTA let me know!

Looking forward to hearing from the M5 community and fellow owners in Toronto.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
im down london way.. i know theres a few of us out there..in fact i saw an m5 in cambridge today that was pretty beat up.. to bad you have to drive it in the winter as you said you want to keep it forever ..forever wont be long with the salt up here..looks nice!!!, the CEL is a pain when it comes to emmissions ,, i have it on as well. im going to do the h pipe with air pump connection that way it is still operational..when do you need your etest done?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im down london way.. i know theres a few of us out there..in fact i saw an m5 in cambridge today that was pretty beat up.. to bad you have to drive it in the winter as you said you want to keep it forever ..forever wont be long with the salt up here..looks nice!!!, the CEL is a pain when it comes to emmissions ,, i have it on as well. im going to do the h pipe with air pump connection that way it is still operational..when do you need your etest done?
I live in downtown so I only drive on the weekends, therefore not worried about salt damage. I only got the winter tire set up in case I needed to get somewhere and driving was the only option. Either way, I'd frequently get a car wash and the underbody spray to get any salt that was stuck on it, off the car. The posted pic is when we got hit with our first major snow storm Dec 12th, wanted to test out the Blizzak's, and they were awesome! I found it a lot better to drive with DSC off, more "predictable" rather than it cutting power off when least expected. I grew up in the snowbelt so I know a thing or two about snow driving haha.

My e-test is not due till November, so I have some time. I'm not familiar with the work around you mentioned... I'll research that.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Congrats! Good to see another M5 owner in the GTA.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome! I live downtown as well and have seen a few Titanium Silvers around. Heck, we may have driven or walked right by each other on multiple occasions.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Congrats and welcome! That snow picture looks like alot of fun could be had!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Welcome..Im about 3 hours west in Sarnia..If the car runs fine, why don't you just get a 35.00 E-test and see where you stand. Get a Peake code reader and do the CEL resets yourself. You may not have any issues passing the E-test at all..S

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've bought a cheap OBD2 - Bluetooth off eBay, loaded "Torque" app on my android, and resetted the CEL (and can do it anytime) for less than 20$ total.
I can also make myself a nice dashboard on my cell !

·
Registered
561 Posts
I go to forks of credit too. It's nice to drive there. But careful from other drivers and bikers :) Toronto east end. Maybe we should meet one day with more m5 drive to forks of credit. Any speeding tickets so far :D I has same wheels peeling issue ended up refinishing them. But I like the original shadow chrome. A guy offers importing bunch from Germany around $2000 per set brand new shipped.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
561 Posts
So any one from Toronto fat area want to go for a drive to forks of credit? And this coming Victoria Day evening in thinking to go to Shannonvile Track for lapping evening. It's $25/5 laps. Just show up 5:30pm and you good to go :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great idea. Let's get together and go for a drive.

I'm in Etobicoke.
I was just there this Sunday, not as crowded as expected, but still quite a few bikers and "tourists". Great to finally let her rip; took some awesome videos and pics too. Heading back up there this Sunday if anyone wants to join (might be raining but hoping the forecast is wrong!)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So any one from Toronto fat area want to go for a drive to forks of credit? And this coming Victoria Day evening in thinking to go to Shannonvile Track for lapping evening. It's $25/5 laps. Just show up 5:30pm and you good to go :)

I'll be at Forks this Sunday with some friends for hiking and outdoor activities. Gonna sneak in some driving too, but I got my fix last Sunday, spent the afternoon/evening burning rubber. When're you heading to Shannonville? I haven't done a track day yet, and a friend with an E92 M3 and I are trying to get a group together to head out one of the weekends. Let me know, it'll be great to meet up with fellow M5Board members.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pics from Forks of Credit

Few snaps I took last weekend of my trip up to Forks of the Credit. In car videos came out pretty decent too, maybe after editing I'll upload later.

On a separate note, I had mentioned in my intro post about the Intravee. Bought all the parts separately on Ebay, installed it about a month ago, and it's working perfectly. Saved about $250 by buying individually and used. Thanks to all the posts on M5board that helped in the set up!

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Another M5 owner here...north of GTA

I picked up my 2001 M5 a few weeks ago. Still haven't driven it yet because I had shoulder surgery. Hopefully I can start enjoying it next week.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts