BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What is this hose? I don’t remember seeing that when plenum was off.

Are you doing all this work yourself?
My buddy / cousin is a former BMW Master Tech / foreman. He's doing most of the intensive work.

Car looks great!
Why thank you!

Nice to see you got an E39 M5! I got my first one about 1.5 years ago and have ended up with two more. Easily one of my favorite ///M models and I find myself enjoying driving it more than my E46 M3 for daily driving.
So you have three E39 M5's?

How was the throttle position sensor install? I got a P1637 code the other day and my OBD reader said the TPS.
It's right near the CPS, once you get the plennum off it's easier. On the driver side, it's more complicated, the cabin filter is in the way and so are some of the lines.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So you have three E39 M5's?
Yes, currently a 2000 Avus on Silverstone, 2003 TiAg on Silverstone and a 2003 LeMans on all black sport interior.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Yes, currently a 2000 Avus on Silverstone, 2003 TiAg on Silverstone and a 2003 LeMans on all black sport interior.
Stop it, you are giving me bad ideas! Like buying another low-mileage garage queen E39 M5 and starting to drive mine again. Or keeping mine as a garage queen and buying a medium-milage one to DD. I need more garage space. Or a lift!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Some updates:

Installed update Evolve Tune to take advantage of 93 octane.

Car has been completely paint corrected. Ceramic coating has been applied on all surfaces including newly polished and powder coated wheels.

Installed front windshield tint.

Wrapped entire front hood and fenders, bumper, a pillars and mirror in new Stek self healing and hydrophobic film.

New rear slotted brake disks and pads, to match the front.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlT7r4hhsQ5/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=iv1zm4uhxo4j

2001 DINAN S2 M5 - Imolarot
Blog: http://www.obsessedmotorsport.com/blog

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Figured I’d provide an update, seems to make for interesting content for us ancient car lovers...

I’ll go back to a few months ago and catch up.

Finally got around to fixing the leaking washer pump in the wheel well, which scope creeped to wheel liner detailing and Dinan air filter changes...

Then I was able to replace the noise SAP.

Which also scope creeped into replacing the wiper sprayer nozzle hose because it cracked, first buying the wrong harness setup, then the correct one.

Which lead to discovering failing firewall plastic...

And then, I had a chance to fix the orientation of the hood release lever, which was dirty.

After getting the car fully sorted, and doing the coolant system except tstat, the tstat died. During reinstall the water pump casting broke, so new pump housing and tstat from Fcp went in.

During the install, while my buddy was doing it, I noticed the rubber grommets on the valve cover gasket were cracking. So I determined to replace them, all of them. Armed with dozens of new rubber grommets I set out to unpeel the components in my way:

Strut brace
Lid of airbox
Intake trumpets
30 heavy duty bolts that hold down the plenum to the throttle bodies
The oil vent drain lines
Air intake clamps

And then the fun began. Removal was pretty simple until you get to the back.

This project took me over 2.5 weeks to complete, I took my time. It was easy but overly complicated for what it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice work! My VCGs are seeping and need replaced so this is in my future as well. I feel you on the time issue, I'm just wrapping up a 4 month "take my time" maintenance job on my E92M3 that included VCGs, rod bearings, new undertray, new driveshaft/guibo/csb, full fluid flush, etc. It's nice when you have other cars in the fleet to drive and not forced to knock it all out in a weekend.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Nice work! My VCGs are seeping and need replaced so this is in my future as well. I feel you on the time issue, I'm just wrapping up a 4 month "take my time" maintenance job on my E92M3 that included VCGs, rod bearings, new undertray, new driveshaft/guibo/csb, full fluid flush, etc. It's nice when you have other cars in the fleet to drive and not forced to knock it all out in a weekend.

Agreed. It’s super convenient to have an extra car to use as to not have to rush.

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
FWIW, there is no clutch delay valve on the M5. The Z8 got one for some inexplicable reason though.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
What else did you replace besides the shocks? Looks like new strut bearings, bump stops, dust boots, and rubber spring pads?

Yes. I left no stone unturned. New springs too. I’ll sell the old koni and Dinan spring assemblies all pre-assembled.

I added the GAS monoballs too.

By the way, Dinan recommends to modify the stiffness of their Koni shock when using their monoballs, not sure if people are aware.

·
Registered
370 Posts
21 - 40 of 73 Posts