BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

Just wanted to say hello. Lurked on the board for a while before signing up.
Sorry for the low quality picture, it's 5 degrees outside today.

Looking forward to meeting some Chicagoland members when the weather gets warmer.



 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
Welcome aboard :byee55amg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
947 Posts
my two favourite 'modern' m cars!

Hows the M coupe compare to the M5 acceleration-wise? I havent driven one, but have always admired!

welcome :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Welcome, I am pretty new here myself and also live in the Chicago Burbs although I am actually closer to Rockford.


Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
foxyboym5 said:
my two favourite 'modern' m cars!

Hows the M coupe compare to the M5 acceleration-wise? I havent driven one, but have always admired!

welcome :thumbsup:
IMO both cars seem pretty even off the line. Once you get on the highway.... different story. The M5 is by far faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whizzkid11 said:
Welcome aboard Tannad!

Nice his 'n' his garage..... :hihi:
Thanks. I am still paying the price for booting the wife's car out of the garage. Especially on days like today. It was 6 degrees this morning. Thank god she has a remote start in her car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jhowton said:
Welcome, I am pretty new here myself and also live in the Chicago Burbs although I am actually closer to Rockford.


Regards
Greetings neighbor!!

I am on the other side of 90 from you. In Huntley. :byee55amg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Welcome aboard.

At the risk of sounding naive, the car on the right is a ???? "M" Coupe?

Care to elaborate on this a little?

It does look sweet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
tannad said:
Hello everyone.

Just wanted to say hello. Lurked on the board for a while before signing up.
Sorry for the low quality picture, it's 5 degrees outside today.

Looking forward to meeting some Chicagoland members when the weather gets warmer.



Welcome aboard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jjc1843 said:
Welcome aboard.

At the risk of sounding naive, the car on the right is a ???? "M" Coupe?

Care to elaborate on this a little?

It does look sweet.
Thanks.

Yes it is an M coupe. Aside from the ACS exhaust, it is bone stock. Its a 2001 M coupe with the S54 engine and 5 speed (same engine as E46 M3, but with 315 hp). I have 16k miles on it.

Quick history: There are about 660 S54 M Coupes in the US. They were produced for MY2001-2002. There were also 2150 US M coupes with the E36 M3 engine (240 hp) My1999-2000. In total there 6151 M coupes (worldwide) produced from 1999-2002 with 1075 being S54 M coupes.

"The idea of the M coupe was born almost immediately after the first Z3 roadster prototype saw the light of day, the hard core of BMW's roadster designers agreeing that the chassis of the open two-seater, stable as it was from the outset, would be absolutely perfect as the foundation for a thoroughbred sports coupe. The conclusion drawn by the five man team was that with a fixed roof providing extra stability the nimble and powerful Z3 would be able to take bends like an express train on rails. It was built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts."



Lots and lots of information available at http://www.368s.com


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,535 Posts
tannad,

Welcome! Wow, only 660 S54 M-coupes in the USA -- how about S54 M-roadsters? Do you have a production number for those in the USA?

Chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
CSBM5 said:
tannad,

Welcome! Wow, only 660 S54 M-coupes in the USA -- how about S54 M-roadsters? Do you have a production number for those in the USA?

Chuck
They break down as follows (world wide):

<TABLE summary="Z3 Production by model" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Z3 Roadster</TD><TD align=right>263,951</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Z3 Coupe</TD><TD align=right>11,523</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>M Roadster</TD><TD align=right>15,322</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>M Coupe</TD><TD align=right>6,292</TD></TR><TR><TH align=left>TOTAL</TH><TH align=right>297,088</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I dont have any more info on S54 roadsters. Sorry....

Edit: 1600 S54 roadsters in the US
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top