BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone.
I've been lurking for several months now and have reached the point where I'm ready to make a purchase on a 2003 M5. I just haven't found the right deal yet. Thanks for posting all your problems and solutions. I think I know the E39 M5 already.

I live in San Jose and almost never see an E39 M5. The only cars I've seen are the ones I went to test drive.

For those that have said there are 100s of M5s for sale in Craigslist SFBay area, that's exagerated. I counted less than 10 including 2002 and 2003.

I'd like to contribute a little by displaying a chart I made comparing current asking prices vs mileage in the US (source cars.com and autotrader.com)

regards,

-Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
That is an impressive chart. I normally do a spreadsheet of the cars for sale and what edmunds, kbb, etc. say the price should be then use that to determine what the 'fair' price is when buying or selling.

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
Thanks, very interesting. Welcome to the Board. You have found the right place.

That sure was a lot of 545 data to compile.

Without knowing the amount of dot-overlap, can we take this to mean that there are approximately 60 2003 e39 M5's for sale from those sources, in the US, today?

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Great piece of work ... labor of love?

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, very interesting. Welcome to the Board. You have found the right place.

That sure was a lot of 545 data to compile.

Without knowing the amount of dot-overlap, can we take this to mean that there are approximately 60 2003 e39 M5's for sale from those sources, in the US, today?
That's a good guess. The total is more like 30-50.

·
Registered
17 Posts
do you think It would be safe to assume that the actual price paid for these cars is a few thousand less?
great work by the way, I'm looking also, more now since I'm dropping my car off tuesday.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Cool graph.

Nice to see that most of these cars are being driven.

Mind posting average price and miles per MY?

·
Registered
190 Posts
For those that have said there are 100s of M5s for sale in Craigslist SFBay area, that's exagerated. I counted less than 10 including 2002 and 2003.
Hopefully it's not the same 10 being sold every other year yawnnnn ...

Nice chart for sure...

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Interesting work.

I suppose one could fit a regression line to each of the years....

Of course so many other things drive price- condition, records, dealer vs private, color, mods....

But you are doing the right thing- by being prepared and knowing the market, when THE car shows up you'll be able to make a decision and effectively negotiate a deal.

GL

A

PS If I was in the market for a lemans, I'd buy the new one! :)

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Great looking graph...nice piece of work!

Very interesting too. At a given mileage, the range of prices can be quite wide for a given MY. In addition to Ard's comments, overall condition may vary considerably as the cars get older.
:cheers:
Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts