BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys

Having owned a string of M3s and a Z3M Coupe - it was time I got something a bit bigger to make peace with the wife and kids :rolleyes:

Some of the UK members here might know me through Storm Motorwerks but I'm here as an owner rather than a supplier this time!

So after a lot of reading and lurking on this forum I decided to go for an E39 M5. Picked her up last week and spec is as follows:

Facelift late 2000 model
Le Mans Blue
Double Glazed windows
Black Heritage Leather
Power Fold mirrors
Rear Blind

And the usual refinements.

Needless to say I am very pleased with the overall car - ticks all the boxes - is very practical and has a sense of occasion!

I have already given it a service and changed all the plugs and filters - does have a couple of minor issues to address - namely the MAFs and the side mirrors have discoloured.

Does feel a bit "lazy" at the moment which I will be addressing shortly with some upgrades to the suspension and mapping. It has a Miltek backbox and x-pipe on it which is ok but I might be changing to something else soon.

I will be giving the car a full detail and then taking some pictures when the weather here in the UK improves.

I look forward to being a member here!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Great choice, you will be a lifer like the rest of us. Get us the pics as soon as possible and let us know how you are going to get to 500 HP.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Nice one !!

Welcome to the definitive forum !

Where about in London are you ?

Thanks

Kumaran

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Hi Bilal. Get the motorwerks handbrake handle on there. Its almost as if you made them for this car. Mine still looks fresh a year on

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Glad to see you had enough sense to buy the best color.

But if the car feels "lazy" at all I wouldn't mess around with "upgrades" under the hood before remedying that. Replace the MAFs, O2 sensors, and Cam Position Sensors and see if that doesn't wake her up. I wouldn't mess around with the mapping either, unless and until you opt for a set of headers. It's not worth it otherwise.

But good luck if you do choose to mod the car, and welcome to the Board!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where about in London are you ?
East London - Redbridge.

Hi Bilal. Get the motorwerks handbrake handle on there. Its almost as if you made them for this car. Mine still looks fresh a year on
Already done - was the first thing I did after the knob :haha:

But if the car feels "lazy" at all I wouldn't mess around with "upgrades" under the hood before remedying that. Replace the MAFs, O2 sensors, and Cam Position Sensors and see if that doesn't wake her up. I wouldn't mess around with the mapping either, unless and until you opt for a set of headers. It's not worth it otherwise.
Good advice and I am already sourcing the parts to make sure it is 100%

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Bilal, good luck with the modifications - plenty to read about what makes bhp for these engines, whether you stick with na or go for fi. As long as it's not lit up like a Christmas tree on the dash don't worry about preventative maintenance, just throw on some headers and enjoy :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Welcome Bilal!

Heard you have a really nice car and made already the first step regarding more performance...

Now let's see some pics...

Cheers,

Raikku

·
Registered
919 Posts
Congrats and welcome. Question -- glazed windows? Is that a Euro thing?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats and welcome. Question -- glazed windows? Is that a Euro thing?
Double Glazed windows - basically 2 sheets of glass sealed with an inert gas in the middle. Not sure what you guys call it in the States?

Cuts out a lot of road noise which is good but then I always roll the windows down a bit when my right foot feels heavy :hihi:

Just clayed the car - will be mopping it next and pics to follow!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Congratulations and welcome! There is enough information on this site to build an M5 from scratch. I find myself learning something about the Beast almost every day.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A shame you aren't on this side of the pond. I'd love the chance to ride in a car with the double glazing, that's an option I've always been interested in.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Double Glazed windows - basically 2 sheets of glass sealed with an inert gas in the middle. Not sure what you guys call it in the States?
Wow -- how much does BMW charge when you need a new window? You sure we got them here - never heard of before, and thought I was up on the E39 M.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts