BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I personally think the originals look much better, the tinted ones are too dark. A very light tint looks good though IMO.

I like the original better too. Plus I am not really sure what the laws here in NC are towards tinted lights. When I lived in Philly, I had to drive back from Youngstown, OH and got pulled over for speeding in my 528i on I76 east of Pittsburgh. I got into a conversation with the State Highway officer and happened to ask him about the those tinted tail-lights since they were in my trunk (long story but I received 5 warnings from that stop). He wasn't sure if they were illegal or not, but said why give an officer a possible reason to pull you over. Sounded like good advice to me.

·
Registered
631 Posts
So the Gloss Black grilles are ordered and being shipped today. I'll post pics when they get here of the different combinations. In the mean time I found a pair of blacked out tail lights I had for my e39 528i and decided to see what they looked like on the M5 when I took off the tail-lights and cleaned behind them. I put the originals back on since I would have to drill a second set of mounting holes cause the lower holes didn't match up and I liked the original ones better, but what do you think?
To each but....the "blackout" looks downgraded.

The "bling" on the jeweled stock lights are fine by me.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I like the original better too. Plus I am not really sure what the laws here in NC are towards tinted lights. When I lived in Philly, I had to drive back from Youngstown, OH and got pulled over for speeding in my 528i on I76 east of Pittsburgh. I got into a conversation with the State Highway officer and happened to ask him about the those tinted tail-lights since they were in my trunk (long story but I received 5 warnings from that stop). He wasn't sure if they were illegal or not, but said why give an officer a possible reason to pull you over. Sounded like good advice to me.
Yea I know here in New York tinted tail lights are illegal and I'm pretty sure they are in most other states too. Atleast you know you won't have to worry about getting stopped with the stock tail lights so theres another plus lol.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I went with the Gloss Black. It seems to match the paint better. If I get bored down the road I can always swap back to the Matte Black :grin

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I've seen the Matte Black look sharp on some Titanium Silver or Alpine White M5s.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I like matte black. It matches the trim.
I plasti-dip the ones on my Jet Blk

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Since mine is carbon black I'll probably be ordering the matte black ones.
Don't order any yet Auaq. I'll bring the Matte black along this weekend and you can see how they look on your M5

·
Registered
699 Posts
Ok. However, the M5 won't be here this weekend as the alternator has taken a crap, so not drivable at the moment unless if I take a day off and replace it and hopefully it fixes the problem then I'll bring it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ok. However, the M5 won't be here this weekend as the alternator has taken a crap, so not drivable at the moment unless if I take a day off and replace it and hopefully it fixes the problem then I'll bring it.
Were you still planning on working on the Beast on Saturday maybe before the Wake Forest C&C? If so, what time?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think you hit on the right combination with the gloss black rings. The matte black didn't have the POP factor. Way to go! Also the tail lights might look better with smoked lenses rather that blacked out. On my silver, I like the stock ones.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I think you hit on the right combination with the gloss black rings. The matte black didn't have the POP factor. Way to go! Also the tail lights might look better with smoked lenses rather that blacked out. On my silver, I like the stock ones.

Thanks. I agree with the pop factor you mentioned and I think I will stay with the stock tail lights for now too.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Trip I think the gloss are nicer on your car. I like the matte on my Saphire Black though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Trip I think the gloss are nicer on your car. I like the matte on my Sapphire Black though.

I'm becoming a big fan of your iT. I agree with the choice of the matte on sapphire balck for the 540.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Two thumbs up on the gloss black instead of the matte. It matches the paint now and looks great!
Thanks. I like the gloss look better too. I purchased a lower grille too with the brake air ducts to go on the front bumper. Might be just the right amount of silver color to offset all the black. We'll see.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Bumping an old thread here, but does anyone have a source for decent yet inexpensive matte black kidneys? I have had a cheap set on my car I bought from Khoalty back in the day and it appears they are no longer in business. I actually really liked them against Anthracite. Looks like there are a bunch of cheapos out there, but lots of poor reviews as well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I bought my kidney grilles from ECS Tuning. The price seems to have gone up from when I bought them though. I haven't ever seen any in Anthracite before just Gloss Black, Matte Black and chrome. The quality is good and they fit great.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts