BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first let me say that I am a new owner to the M5 world. I took delivery of a 2001 BMW M5*black* yesterday of which I drove back from Virginia, ( to New York City ) and had a blast doing so. The car has 45 K miles and is in very very good condition.

Just a simple question, what type of oil is recommened to be used, I keep reading diffrent people saying diffrent things. Of course its going to be Synthetic Oil, but what weight ?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Irving
M5

·
10,445 Posts
Oh man Irving, you're about to revisit a giant debate... I also agree that 10/60 is the oil to use. Get it from your dealer, should be around $8-9 per liter. Most US spec m5's produced after 00 came with a decal on the rad core support saying "use bmw long life synthetic 5.30"or something like that. That stuff cost about $3-3.50 per quart from the dealer. Do a search, or look down at the bottom of this page and you should see links to 'related threads' there have been many debates between which oil is better.
Mike

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
In the engine bay is a sticker- use that. In all likelihood its 5w30. I do not think you will do harm going with the recommended oil weighting.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome to the board Irving & congrats :M5thumbs:

I concur that TWS 10W60 is THE oil to use. It may cost a little more but you don't want to make an expensive mistake by being "penny wise pound foolish".

·
Banned
386 Posts
just check the sticker..... Im going with 10w - 60

·
Registered
530 Posts
Pepsi:

I have a '00 and the choice was simple. everywhere it said 10W-60. Period. Can only be had via BMW; at about $8.95 per liter. The newer (read '01 through '03) models are specified at 5W30. Some people use the 10W-60 to reduce oil consumption (yes the beast definately drinks some oil; consumption averages about 1 litre every 3.5K miles).

I stick to BMW oil filters and the reccomended oil only. The oil reccomended in your manual (or on the engine bay sticker) is fine.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got 15 bottles from Bavarian Autosport @ 8.95 per. Two dealers here quoted 12 and 14$ per.

Welcome, I'm two months of ownership and loving it!

cherrsagai

·
Registered
93 Posts
Long debate on this...

The concensus is 10w/60 as recommended by BMW as the best oil for your year. Personally as my car is out of warranty I'm with Beastpower and thinking of using Mobil1 15w/50. If you have a BMW warranty I would stay with their recommendation as I've heard they have been known to check the oil in failed engines for this very issue.

Interesting point...If you go to the mobil 1 web site and put in your car inforamtion they give tws 10w/60 as the oil recommended by BMW but state that there would be no problem in using 15w/50. I thought this a very BOLD statement and if they were prepared to make it then it must be a goer :thumbsup:

If you are wandering why BMW don't recommended any other oils than the ones they just sell:grrrrr: at high prices ( I believe they mark it up as much as 100%) then it might be cynical to think it might just be economics.

You takes your pick :M5launch:

Cheers
JB
Pepsiguru said:
:thumbsup:
Guys, thanx for the help, greatly appreciated :haha:

Irving
M5

1 - 10 of 10 Posts