BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, this is abit of a rhetorical question I know but perhaps Im after abit of convincing based on your views,

last Saturday i put down a deposit on a factory spec M6 GC for Sept delivery with a 640d GC trade in taking advantage of the 0% on offer. Spec is as follows Alpine white with soft close doors, comfort access, SPG, surround view, piano black, cars due for build in August.

I have a couple of niggling issues,

first and foremost i am not convinced that the M6 represents a huge leap over the m6 when you factor in increased payments / deposit etc, has anyone gone from a 640d to an M6, may be chalk and cheese, but in the real world is it that much of a jump. I owned 2 e63 M6s and since having the 640d don't really miss them, perhaps the move here will be the same.

2nd I keep hearing about huge discounts on the GC, i managed to obtain a £98k car for £75k, does this seem reasonable ?, I did abit of shopping around and this seemed the best deal on offer (Sytner Centra Bham) - finance wise cars coming at £800 pcm with 8k down and a 29k balloon

Last but not least, the fact that pre reg / 8wk old cars that were listed at £100k are trading for <£60k does worry me a little.

Ps- I will also miss my Pan Roof from the 640D

Views welcome

Thanks

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Stop sweating it, the car is awesome !

Got my one in December 2015. Now on 9,000 Miles.

It does everything so well.

City driving perfect ! Motorways perfect and mucho rapido ! Country lanes perfect and much better than I thought ! Depreciation not so perfect and very heavy, but hey, live with it.

Plus it looks great and the interior is gorgeous.

You did fine on your discounting level too, same as me, just about, and I really drove a hard bargain !

Can't comment on the 640d but I always felt tractor engines were best placed in a tractor, surely ?

Forget about the pano roof and staring at the sky. You'll be too busy looking half a mile down the road, which is the location you'll be in a few seconds.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I went from a 640d GC, to a m5 and it's we world apart and we'll worth the extra dosh

And as for the tractor engine, people really cannot appreciate how good the 640 engine really is until they owned one, obviously it's not comparison to a M motor but that 640 GC is probably the nicest looking car I have and will ever own

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Ian, ditto your opinion on the 640d, hence my hesitation, i actually have a fully loaded 640d and my plan was to keep it for a few years given its all round ability and the great deal that i got on it, is the m6 GC really worth an several extra hundred per month and a large down payment over the 640d, i remain on the fence.

The other option of course is to keep the 640d and trade my 530d for a used M5, so may be best of both worlds.

I have yet to drive the new M6 for a day of two and i have been promised one next week for a weekend, seems demo cars are hard to come , i wasn't prepared to drive a 3 yr old used one that Bham have up for sale given the price tag of a new one.

I have to ask the vulgar question of MPG, all things being considered how does the 640d fare with the M6, i don't think i can stomach the 9mpg local and 17mpg highway that my e63 used to return that was truly offensive.

You have the 640d + the m5 ??

I went from a 640d GC, to a m5 and it's we world apart and we'll worth the extra dosh

And as for the tractor engine, people really cannot appreciate how good the 640 engine really is until they owned one, obviously it's not comparison to a M motor but that 640 GC is probably the nicest looking car I have and will ever own

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nope I chucked my 640 GC in for the m5, to be honest mpg is not to bad I drive mine pretty hard and I average around the doors 15 and on the motorway 25 easy, I always run it on shell V power. Trust me you won't be disappointed, the engine is tremendous. The nose it makes is beautiful the power delivery is unreal, I really cannot compare it to anything else. Plus you have the added luxury of the 6s interior man that's something to brag about, seriously special motor your buying, my mates got a 2009 lamborghini gallardo and my 5 kills it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Ian, lets see what the extended test drive brings, next issue will be to decide in colour, Alpine white spec'd for now by that may change to black, cars spec ammendable until end of July i guess for Aug build and sept delivery.

Just checking AUC a glut of them seem to have appeared this week, prices remain all over the place though

Cheers

·
Registered
386 Posts
Another thing on the mpg comment it's really hard to even pass comment on it. I enjoyed driving my 640, but this m5 I really really enjoy driving it so I find my self doing daft drives and things I would normally do so yes my fuel bills increased but hell yeah its worth it haha

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks Ian, lets see what the extended test drive brings, next issue will be to decide in colour, Alpine white spec'd for now by that may change to black, cars spec ammendable until end of July i guess for Aug build and sept delivery.

Cheers
Shakira orange is tremendous in the g you cannot buy a m6 and have it in white man that is criminal or San Marino blue

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

I can appreciate the 40d engine is great diesel engine compared to other diesel engines, but I think that's where all comparisons end I feel, hence the tractor comment.

The OP was debating if it was worth was moving from a 640d to an M6 GC in terms of extra financial outlay. I would say the engine alone would justify this cost delta, let alone, drivetrain, suspension, interior, brakes etc etc

Oh and I agree, white on an M6 GC looks a bit .... meh :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I can appreciate the 40d engine is great diesel engine compared to other diesel engines, but I think that's where all comparisons end I feel, hence the tractor comment.

The OP was debating if it was worth was moving from a 640d to an M6 GC in terms of extra financial outlay. I would say the engine alone would justify this cost delta, let alone, drivetrain, suspension, interior, brakes etc etc

Definitely worth the extra financial outlay just for that 4.4 power plant

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Actually....i think I should take this back.

By the weirdest of coincidences, and having only seen 3 or 4 M6 GC since I bought mine, I saw a white on the day I wrote the above comment.

It looked quite nice. The carbon fibre roof contrast with the white paintwork etc etc seemed to work really well !

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thats my view, the carbon roof blends in nicely with the rear screen and glass better and really shows off the lines, also dare i say it looks like a glass pan roof from a distance.

I was actually going to change the order to sapphire today, but will sleep on it for a while longer.

Black would also mean the neighbours will notice the new car on the drive as the 640ds white. :nerd

Cars due in Sept, any idea when the spec freeze will happen ?, Sytner suggested that cars with individual options tend to firm up a little later due to this individual option.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Thats my view, the carbon roof blends in nicely with the rear screen and glass better and really shows off the lines, also dare i say it looks like a glass pan roof from a distance.

I was actually going to change the order to sapphire today, but will sleep on it for a while longer.

Black would also mean the neighbours will notice the new car on the drive as the 640ds white. :nerd

Cars due in Sept, any idea when the spec freeze will happen ?, Sytner suggested that cars with individual options tend to firm up a little later due to this individual option.

I'm a fan of the white, too--I think it accentuates the subtle lines of the car. That said, I'd prefer it if BMW would make a standard metallic white of some kind.

I have the sapphire black myself--this is the first time I've had a BMW in black. The color is beautiful, especially so when sparkling-clean. However, I wouldn't get it again, though--I've only had the car for 2-months and the slightest imperfection in the paintwork shows up far more so than any other color I've had. My Singapore Gray M5s didn't suffer the same problem even though they're quite dark. The Silverstone II M5 and M6 always looked good even when dirty and also didn't show minor defects so readily as this black car does.

To sum up my view: don't get the black car (at least don't get sapphire black... I don't have any first-hand experience with other black variations assuming there are some); go for the white if that's your only other option. I'd strongly recommend Silverstone II as well but I seem to be in the minority in regard to my appreciation of that particular color.

PS: in complete contrast to everything I've just said, I get far far more adoring looks and thumbs-ups from fellow drivers in this black M6 than I ever did in the Silverstone II. Hey ho...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I too like Silverstone 2, sits much better on the m6 than the m5, though would never spec it, quite an acquired from what i hear, Bavarian in Ireland have had SS M6 GC for months.

Also had my fare share of black cars the last being the e63 M6, i hope you can see the pics below.

Ps what do you make of the e24 ??

Pss, I don't think anyone can deny that the white looks a million dollars

Cheers

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts