BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must admit that I am quite taken by the images that those of you who have "taken delivery" of your European M6s have posted. Even those with limited photog availability have shown the car to be quite beautimous indeed!

Here in the USA, I am wondering if I would replace my M5 with the forthcoming M6? I guess I would only do so if it had a manual shifter. The paddle shifter is not something I would enjoy... altho many have stated otherwise. I would not buy it if it only had a SMG for the US version. I believe there has been some rumblings that the US version would have both the SMG and the 6 speed boxes. True?

If I cannot shift this beast for myself, I would not buy it.

The M6s that have been delivered are quite handsome IMO. I am surprised how Chris Bangle's cars have (sorta ....) grown on me.... I guess. Even the 7.

I wonder if the sound of the V10 is more than a Hoover sound? I love my 2003's M5 V8s Tubi drone.... and torque, of course. I wonder how the V10 will compare sound-wise with my car's wundermous rumbles? V10's, altho very powerful indeed, are not always the best sounding vehicles. Hoover-like comes to mind again. Altho, many have said that "Porsche-like" is a more appropriate an adjective.... but, what do I know? But, I have a 993 Pcar.

I still think the M6 is a possible "next car" for me... you folks that posted photogs of your new M6's, I thank you for my interest. But, man... a HUNDRED GRAND (USDs) is a crap load of buck$ for this car. And, it's not all thatmuch faster than my M5, eh. (sigh...)

BAGGER

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Don't dismiss SMG - a LOT of Americans tend to do so, because driving a "stick" is seen as much more of an art form over there. SMG is NOT a slush-box and it does change gear faster than you ever could with a manual, it shifts perfectly every time, there's no chance of a mis-shift blowing up your engine, and it gives you more time to concentrate on steering and braking points (if you can find a road with a bend on it over there :wroom: )

Tim

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am fully aware that SMG equipped cars shift faster and with less "mishaps". But, I guess, since I have driven many cars over the last 30 odd years with manual transmissions....and feel it is more "fun" and more "involved" with stick shifting cars... that I would be missing this adventure with a SMG equipped car.

The increased shifting speed of a SMG car does not sway me. It is not the few milliseconds .... or whatever... that would move me to buy a SMG car. It is that I would miss the stick shifting.... the fun, involvement of matching revs and moving the clutch, brake, 'go pedal' in some kind of 'symphony', if you will allow that kind of comparison. One does not have that feeling with SMG.

Matter o'fact, I enjoyed Formula One much more when the drivers were more involved as well. The paddle shifting of the V10s with electronic traction control and adjustable brake bias, yada, yada has taken the driver out of the equation to a great degree IMO. I would much rather watch a F1 race with the driver shifting his way thru the gears with no traction control, etc. (sigh...)

Plus, with an SMG equipped car, I may have to share driving it with my girl friend. Until now she has not been able to master a 6 speed manual shifter. This may not be a good thing... ?? :crying2:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I was in the same place you are about the manual vs. SMG decision (currently have a 6-speed 645 and have had an E39 M5, also a 6-speed, and a lot of other standard shifts).

I had an opportunity to spend sme time with Mark Webber and Hans Stuck at the Canadian Grand Prix recently and they were both very clear that the SMG was a superior experience to the manual. Stuck had run the car extensively on the Nordschleife, and as a driver who has vastly more talent than I will ever have, was clearly an SMG supporter.

So I decided to go with the advice , and also with the experience of the people in the forum, and try something new:)...

I do know that it will take some getting used to after many years of three pedal cars, but I am going to try it anyway. I also dont want to wait for the shift car, if it appears, as it will be at least a year later.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Ronan,

You've hit the nail on the head. While there is undoubtedly pleasure to be had from perfect rev-matched heel toe downchanges, it does take a significant amount of driver concentration, and the M6's computer does a good job of taking over that facet of driving.

It does take a while to get used to - 1,500 to 2,000 miles but once you've done so, your driving will benefit in another ways - you'll be able to increase your observation distance and anticipate hazards much sooner (or braking points on a track), and when you do see an overtaking opportunity, three quick tugs on the left paddle and you can put the power down instantly.

You have to think of it as a third type of transmission, in several polls on the M3 forum in the UK all came out in favour of SMG, only one user out of many wanted to go back to a manual - I'd never even consider a manual again.

Tim

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ronan,

Ronan said:
I was in the same place you are about the manual vs. SMG decision (currently have a 6-speed 645 and have had an E39 M5, also a 6-speed, and a lot of other standard shifts).

I had an opportunity to spend sme time with Mark Webber and Hans Stuck at the Canadian Grand Prix recently and they were both very clear that the SMG was a superior experience to the manual. Stuck had run the car extensively on the Nordschleife, and as a driver who has vastly more talent than I will ever have, was clearly an SMG supporter.

So I decided to go with the advice , and also with the experience of the people in the forum, and try something new:)...

I do know that it will take some getting used to after many years of three pedal cars, but I am going to try it anyway. I also dont want to wait for the shift car, if it appears, as it will be at least a year later.
Did you see Tiff Needell's M5 review when he drove the Beast to Pau, France? If you did (I may be able to get you a link if not), can you tell me what he was talking about when, on the highway, he did a downshift-thing?

I'd have to refresh my recollection of the review for a better explanation if you need one. Thanks in advance!

CobraJet

·
Registered
457 Posts
Bagger said:
I must admit that I am quite taken by the images that those of you who have "taken delivery" of your European M6s have posted. Even those with limited photog availability have shown the car to be quite beautimous indeed!

Here in the USA, I am wondering if I would replace my M5 with the forthcoming M6? I guess I would only do so if it had a manual shifter. The paddle shifter is not something I would enjoy... altho many have stated otherwise. I would not buy it if it only had a SMG for the US version. I believe there has been some rumblings that the US version would have both the SMG and the 6 speed boxes. True?

If I cannot shift this beast for myself, I would not buy it.

The M6s that have been delivered are quite handsome IMO. I am surprised how Chris Bangle's cars have (sorta ....) grown on me.... I guess. Even the 7.

I wonder if the sound of the V10 is more than a Hoover sound? I love my 2003's M5 V8s Tubi drone.... and torque, of course. I wonder how the V10 will compare sound-wise with my car's wundermous rumbles? V10's, altho very powerful indeed, are not always the best sounding vehicles. Hoover-like comes to mind again. Altho, many have said that "Porsche-like" is a more appropriate an adjective.... but, what do I know? But, I have a 993 Pcar.

I still think the M6 is a possible "next car" for me... you folks that posted photogs of your new M6's, I thank you for my interest. But, man... a HUNDRED GRAND (USDs) is a crap load of buck$ for this car. And, it's not all thatmuch faster than my M5, eh. (sigh...)

BAGGER
Give SMG3 a long try! It's a good transmission and surely an excellent addition if you have another car – maybe a convertible or a light-weight sport car for the track - with a manual tranny at your disposal.

The M6 V10 (which sounds different than the M5 V10) definitely doesn't sound like a hoover. In neutral it ain't as pleasant sounding as the V8 of my former E39 M5 but if you accelarate the engine comes to life and it 'rumbles' deeper, more vigorously compared to the E39 M5. Especially the sound when SMG3 opens the throttle during down-shifts goes right thru me.

~100.000,-- USD is a furtune indeed, but the M6 is well worth the money (have a look at what the M6 costs in Europe) and even cheap compared to other luxury super sport coupes like the AM Vanquish S and the Ferrari Scaglietti.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts