BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I've had my M5 for about a week now. What a fun car to drive. I still, however, CAN control myself to within the 1200-mile break-in procedure. No revving beyond 5500rpm, no full throttle, no speed over 105mph.

Every time I finish driving "fairly hard" (that is, getting close to the limit of the break-in) and get out of the car, I do smell something almost like a burning smell, but not quite that bad. I don't know exactly what it is or where it comes from, but I can smell it right after I step out of the car. After about 5 minutes, the smell goes away. I sniffed around and found that I get stronger smell from the front grill on the hood (didn't open the hood, though) I thought it was the brake pads, but it was not, since the smell isn't any stronger on the wheels.

Could it be the clutch? I am still getting used to the M5's clutch, which is quite different from my previous car. Is this normal, or should I have my car checked?

Thanks a lot for any information in advance!
-kuzibimun

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm not sure what it is, clutch or cat but it is a normal break in smell.

I know you can't wait to get past the 1200. I was driving to nowhere and back (300 mile round trips) just to get there!

07/00 M5 Tit/Silverstone

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just talked to my friend overseas and he's quite knowledgable.

Told him it was more like a plastic melting smell than something really burning. He told me right away it was likely that some plastic bag on highway getting stuck to cat. After revving up the engine in high RPM, cat can heat up to > 800 C (How many in Fahrenheit?) and melting plastic can dispense this smell for a while. He suggested me to go take a look underneath the car to confirm this.

I appreciate comments/feedbacks on my friend's theory.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably forgot the most important questions:

Dod any of you more experienced M5 owners encounter the same thing?

I count marlin as one.

Take care all,
-kuzibimun

G

·
I noticed the same burning smell for about the first 800 miles or so then it disappeared. Dealer said not to worry. Now have 3600 miles and no problems.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I too, had the smell. It was natural of the car. passed 5600 and it's gorgeous now (goddamn, i started the week with only 4900 too. i gotta cut back!) :)

--Dan

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for the responses.

I'll take her out for more spin today and will try to pinpoint where the smell is coming from.

Ciao,
-k

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am fairly certain you are burning off the last traces of the cozmoline (sp?) that the car exterior and engine compartment are coated with for trans-atlantic shipment. There is a tremendous amount of heat radiating from the car and you will smell this for about 1000+ miles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by one2000m5:
I am fairly certain you are burning off the last traces of the cozmoline (sp?) that the car exterior and engine compartment are coated with for trans-atlantic shipment. There is a tremendous amount of heat radiating from the car and you will smell this for about 1000+ miles.
1-2kM5,

Thanks a lot for the comforting answer. I took the car out again today (Man I love long weekends) and drove it pretty hard (still chicken enough not to exceed the 1200-mile breakin parameters) and the amount of odor coming out is much less than before.

I looked underneath the car at the cat, and didn't see anything. The smell seems to come from right behind the engine, right in front of the passenger cage. Possibly the part that they can't clean out cosmoline (sp?) easily.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's the cat. Here's the fix:

Open hood. Remove neighbor's pet cat that was resting in the warm aread near the exhaust manifold. Close hood. Smell goes away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts