BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted on here on another thread under New M5, that I purchased a M5 with issues. Many said I had a bad title to my thread, so I started a new one. It had a brake warning issues, ps leaks, fuel smells, and clutch issues. I am ending up having to go through it top to bottom to make this car right. It will eventually need a lot of work. Here is the previous thread:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/185961-new-m5.html

Update:

Fuel:
Fixed-See Previous thread.

Brakes:
All pads and rotors were new, and checked out perfect. I fixed the brake warning issue with the new brake sensors I ordered. I have attached a picture where the older sensor was attached. This sensor is the exact same one I put on, and could have used the factory mounting bracket, but they had fun with a zip tie. Yes, I have the receipt from the PO where the BMW dealership installed this 5k miles ago. As of now I won't disclose which VA dealership did this, but if its of help to the forum I will. I just find it funny. This is why I need to go over this car top to bottom, as I will track this car.

PS.
Another thing that was apparently fixed by dealership. I need to post a picture of a clamp they have on there, and I will. Need to order another line. Install both lines, and check for leaks.

Clutch.
I am slow rolling on this. I go the drive shaft off the transmission last night and a few other things. Almost ready to unbolt the transmission from the engine. Yet again thank you to everyone who has posted their projects on here. The time they spent has helped me greatly.

The rest is flushing systems etc...and inspections. Luckily the engine is great, vanos is great. Has no mass sensors etc. The owner spent a lot of money at the dealership, but I am doubting all their work the farther I get into this car. All the receipts from this certain BMW dealership scare me.

I think I have my game plan for the rest on the other thread.

Thanks for all your help so far, an annoying newbie.
Adam

Attachments

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Another dealeship success story :)

It sounds like you are well on your way to having the car in great condition.

·
Registered
419 Posts
looking to buy soon, ill be watching this thread

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey furry,
I am willing to talk to you on the phone about purchasing one if you want. I bought that had needs, and new that. I can also talk to you about buying a car without needs. I am fixing it on a budget, but with that in mind at any point this car may cost me 5k. There are a lot of thoughts about purchasing a car, philosophy of owning a car. Fixing it yourself, having someone else fix. Dealer repairs, independent shop. Buying a car, what to look for etc. Do searches on here, find out everything you know about the car, and I joined BMWCCA. That has already paid for itself with the tools I borrowed to work on the clutch. Plus, I already met a bunch of nice people! You probably know everything already! So, I probably know-it-alled you already, and I apologize. Yet again newbie-sharing. I have bought and sold a lot of collector cars for me and other people, and rules apply to this car.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks for the advise Wilhit! I am in the process of possibly purchasing a car with great potential which will need some TLC. But I do not have the time/skills to complete most of the DIY repairs and I will rely on the eyes of good bmw mechanic to make sure the car is worth it before I pull the trigger. Should be interesting...

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
I like this thread - you rescued the car in my mind. Someone didn't take care of it and now you are able to resurrect it, hats off to you. The car is lucky to have found you.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

Mr Ford,
I think you hit the nail on the head with what I am doing here. A lot of people would have passed on this car, but I think this is still a good car. It could have sat for a long time, but the expensive things were fixed. Also, the parts that needed to be in good shape, were. We shall see what happens in the long run. Hopefully this will help some people who are looking at cars, to see what could be wrong and what can be fixed in a garage. Also, I can do a write up on what should be really looked at, and what will really cost you! These little fix's will add up and there are gambles here. I have been lucky on a few things. This can save some people some money with some sweat equity, but there are major risks. Hopefully they can read into what can be found costs that are associated. You know all this, so this paragraph was just about my posts. Most people don't read it, so not sure why I post it.

Update:
Clutch:
Transmission is out. I went ahead and got 6 ton jacks for safety. This was due to getting the car higher and being safer. They are available at harbor freight for 44.99 a pair, which is worth the cost of my head(my head is probably worth about 100.00, so it was getting close to market value of my head, so I had to think about it). I also borrowed a transmission jack from neighbor , which he amazingly had. Never knew he was a car guy! God working through people. If you are taking it out yourself, I would highly recommend it. Not sure what I did wrong, it didn't just pop off like everyone said. I had to pull it up and down, and it eventually popped off. It also seemed to only come out one exact way. Which meant I had to angle it perfectly.

Also, I didn't move the transmission out from under the car. There seems to be enough room without doing this. Why would I? I can lift the car higher if I need to? Please enlighten me.

I did get the clutch off, and tried to get off the flywheel, but the bolt started to strip. I stopped and ordered a good flywheel tool. Not into stripping flywheel bolts, hopefully I can still get this one off. If not, here goes to drilling it off and enjoying a day in the garage. Here is the one I ordered, its expensive, well to me: http://www.samstagsales.com/bmw/bmw90886114180x.jpg
If you have a bolt stripping, wallet opens up.... I guess it'll be around if anyone needs to borrow it. My pain is everyone else's gain.

Can I hot socket it(with the cheap tool)?

PS:
Ordered the other hose. Going to replace both hoses to and from the Oil carrier. Here is something funny though. In the diagram it shows the return pipe going to the top of the cooling coils. On my car its on the bottom??? Is the diagram wrong, or is my car wrong. My car is built 05/2000. Look at the current fix going to the pump. I like it, I probably shouldn't mess with perfection ;).

New Issue:
While working on the PS, I lightly hit my oil filter housing and it moved? I will attach the picture. Should I fix this? I kidd. Now this is the first time, I find a part rediculous. 23.00 a piece for these...Everything else is justifiable, but these two things are nuts. (or bolts, or bushing, or whatever you call it?). BMW replace the oil seperator lines 1k miles ago, wonder if they knew about this, or if this happened between now and then. Who knows?

Thats it for now, I am slow working, I have a full time, job, etc(odd I am computer scientist, hence my odd writing). I am also fixing our LauraStar iron. Have to do this, or the lady of the household will be upset as well!

If anyone wants step by step pictures of what I am doing, please let me know. I can do this for an addition to the fact.

Hope all is well, and thanks for the help!
Adam

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts