BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Have just purchased my 2006 M5 77,000 mls, 2nd day of ownership the car is on limp mode and doesn't` drive above 30mph.

Diagnostic result says requires O2 sensor is this enough to put car into limp mode, when car is turned off and left 5 mins runs ok again but still has EML light on dash.

Also have many warnings saying car bulbs are requiring replacing but all are working.

Any help and info would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
couple things - get the codes checked by a BMW shop (not necessarily a dealer).

bulbs - there is a recall on the rear tail light housing that you can have replaced on warranty at any dealership (free). also, advise getting the codes checked.

lastly, you may need to employ lemon law or have the dealership where you purchased car do all the work above under 30 day warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi 1st off thanks for the quick reply, I traded in my S3 down south for it and have a no comeback and warranty on the car, will definitely take in past local BMW Garage for replacement tail light housing. Do you advise changing the rear 02 sensor to overcome the limp mode issues. I didn't think these sensors would cause such a severe problem

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi 1st off thanks for the quick reply, I traded in my S3 down south for it and have a no comeback and warranty on the car, will definitely take in past local BMW Garage for replacement tail light housing. Do you advise changing the rear 02 sensor to overcome the limp mode issues. I didn't think these sensors would cause such a severe problem
like i said - take it to a BMW shop and get the codes read first. it could be a number of things including MAF issue or maybe just a simple air pressure problem in your intake air boxes. the error codes read by the shop will pin point the problem, MAF, O2 sensor, Fuel Injection, or otherwise.

good luck bro!

·
Registered
64 Posts
PS - my guess is that if you dont drive the car 'hard' it runs just fine - meaning slow acceleration, not going above 4/5k RPM. if so, a possible MAF error.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I suggest finding a reputable Indy in your area (board members can help you find someone) as the stealership will just start replacing things and running up a huge bill.

Also, invest in a Peake code scanner (very cheap) or some other diagnostic software (search the board) to keep you from freaking out every time you get an error.
There are plenty of real experts and arm chair experts on the board that can be of great help if/when you post up the codes.
If you have another vehicle, I strongly suggest getting a scanning tool before you take it in.

Lastly- Check to make sure your battery is fully charged in regard to the lighting errors. How long did it sit at the dealership?

Again, fully charge the battery, get a scanning tool to read the codes (write them down), clear them and see what comes back.

Just my two cents (I am one of the arm chair guys)... probably only worth a penny.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Much appreciated, that makes a lot of sense as the car had to be jump started prior me getting it handed over.

I am doing a search on line for various plug and play code readers.

Cheers again

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Also... get a trickle charger or some other type to make sure it is properly charged. A bad battery can set off all kinds of errors so it is not out of the question that it could be the root of your problems (or... you could have more than one problem...)
BTW - If you have to have the battery replaced it has to be properly registered. Search the battery threads on this board to make sure you don't make any mistakes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the update, I have now just left the car in garage for the next few weeks due to work commitments, so I`m guessing I`m in for a whole load of trouble when I get home. I appreciate all the help I`m receiving on here excellent advice cheers again.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
When you get back home, be sure to properly charge it up before you try to start up and drive.
Also, you might want to remove the battery from the vehicle all together if it is going to have to site for weeks, to put it on a charger if it is not somewhere where you can leave it plugged in.
The beast is not a good vehicle to leave sitting for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
so when you find out let us know what it is for confirmation...

Reactions: Flymo

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Just keep in mind that an "O2 sensor code" DOES NOT mean the sensor is bad.

It means the DME has received signals that are out of range. Could be bad sensor, could be AFRs are off and that ios causing the code. Limp Mode is associated with AFR issues, and the limp mode is the dme protecting the motor. So dont assume a new O2 sensor will fix it.

Report back

PS "flymo"...40 years ago my dad bought a lawnmower called "Flymo"...it was a hovercraft design, simple 22" single blade. Made in england... hadnt though of that in a longgggg time. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Regarding the trickle charger ,

I leave my 08 M5 for sometimes more than a month when I am offshore on work and I have had no issues and also on my previous 06 M5 I had no issues either.

As for the limp home problem,

I use Eastern M power in Edinburgh as they have they're own specific M tech there but I know it is a drive for you and would prob need to get the car on a transporter.

There's lots of independent BMW garages that should be able to connect the car to a diag and discover the fault.

Don't give up hope on it , they are fantastic cars although a bit thirsty.
I had my 06 one then traded it in for a Nissan GT-R but the Nissan got tiring after a while and was a magnet for idiots so ended up changing back to a M5 and definitely made the right choice.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hi All,

1st off would just like to thank everyone for there help and advice.

Have now returned back from work commitments, I have reluctantly had my wife driving my car every other day just to keep battery good and to check for any faults.

I now have only one reoccurring fault, which is when 1st started I have the E.M.L. illuminated, but when engine turned off and code reader plugged in no faults codes recognised ?, and when I immediately start the car again I have no faults and car seems to drive without issue.

I now have had two different code readers asses this issue with no success.

Do you recommend biting the bullet here and handing over to BMW for further inspection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's good to know, I can leave for weeks at a time as beginning to wonder I`ve never had any issues with any other cars I have had, much prefer the wife driving her mini rather than the M5.

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
If the "limp mode" was activated by something going wrong like a misfire, then "limp mode" should go away after a restart. If the problem continues after a quick drive, then I would not be looking at just the O2 sensor because the scanner said so. Misfire/spark-plug, throttle actuator, TSP sensor, CPS sensor.

Limp mode is activated by something causing an issue with the firing order/timing. I wont be surprised if it the throttle actuator. A google search could help if the trottle actuator is a common failure on E60's and what type of symptoms owners experience. There might folks on other forums who experienced the same issue. Just sayin...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts