BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I talked today to one of the reps that work for BMW Europe, the guy said that there will be not much delay in introducing the new M5. The European opening to the E60 5 series will be in March 2003, and later the same year, in september 2003 the M5 and the new M6 will be relased!!:biggrin: :biggrin: .
I just today was put #1 on the list for the new M5. I will be the first person in Poland to have one :blabla: hiha .

They say that if all goes well i will have it in my garage in March 2004!!

The base price will be at around 100.000 EURO. The base version will NOT even have a NAV in standard, almost everything will be an option here in Europe. He said that a decently equiped car will come aroud 115.000 EURO.

here in Poland this is how the currency values line up:
1$ - 4.25 zl. / 1 EURO = 3.64 zl.

robert.

:cheers: :biggrin:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
excellent.

I have been stating that the next M5 will be a V10 for a long time, but there has been a chorus of detractors. I only post the info I believe to be reliable. If it turns out to be wrong then my info was wrong. I hear V10 and close to 500bhp and gobs of torque!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I just hope it looks nothing like the 7.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Why only 5L with the V-10? What's the advantage to adding 2 cylinders if the displacement remains the same essentially?

Also, don't want to rain on the parade I'm a part of, but I expect delays and I'm sure it will take longer to reach the US.

Finally, that price will push it up over 90K in USD before taxes! That would be a huge price jump!

Chris

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Dallas Spikes said:
Finally, that price will push it up over 90K in USD before taxes! That would be a huge price jump!
Don't expect the US prices to necessarily be in-line with the European prices. I don't believe this was the case with the E39 M5 so I doubt it will be with the E60 M5.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phil,

I totaly agree with you, i don't think the European price will have any affect on the US price.
Just to comare you guy's in the US have more options standard and that's why there is a diference in $$.

robert.
ps.(the NAV system is standard in the US wright??)

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
yes nav is standard in the US...
but too bad we don't have the TV function straight out of the box from BMW...well at least we have Nav-TV to modify it :)

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Just how reliable is this tip? We have been subject to a lot of changes in what we hear and what actually does happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congtatulations Robert. I'm still waiting for my 2002 M5. Ordered it last week. Drop me a note when you get a chance: [email protected]. I will be coming to Poland in a few weeks for the Christening of my cousin's boy. How far is Sosnowiec from Lublin / Krasnik?

BTW, your PM box is full, I tried to PM you but the board didn't allow me to.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have know doubt that the new M5 will be a v-10. I also believe it will be available much sooner than the past history of M5 release dates VS. the new 5 series releases. The marketplace has changed so much since '99, when the current generation of
M5 was released!! If you remember, even before the M5, BMW was still the producer of the best, fastest, baddest 4-door vehicle in the world with the 540i. Now, with Mercedes upping the ante so much, in such a short period of time, BMW has to get the new M5/M6 to market much quicker than ever before!! Each month that goes by without one, only sends prospective buyers who may prefer Bimmers, over to rival Mercedes.....

Yes, I am a firm believer in competition, as the consumer always comes out on top--so Mercedes can keep upping the ante, which will only force BMW to come up with something that much better than them!!!

Thre is much more competition and sense of urgency for BMW to contend with, and I can assure you they won't let us down....Mark it on the calendar...The M5 will be out much sooner than we have come to expect from BMW, and to beat the Benzes, it will have to have a v-10....

HotRod

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
WHAT?? really? that fast? the E60 M5 will be out that quick? Hummmmm and for how much? I hope they dont have too much of a price jump on it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
OK, for you mechanics out there, I'll ask it again. How will a new V-10 with the same displacement as the current V-8 (5L) generate more power?

Power from a car engine basically boils down to displacement, energy (fuel type - high octane gasoline), and efficiency. If you hold dispacement and fuel the same, then all of the gains have to come in efficiency and I don't see how a V-10 is inherently more efficient or more importantly why you couldn't just apply whatever adjustments those are to the V-8????

With our cars, they adjusted both the dispacement (stroke and bore job from the 540 engine) and efficiency (highly tuned) to generate the extra 115 or so horses from it. I just don't see how they could get another 100+ horses without increasing the displacement. All are welcome to educate me!!

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
890 Posts
Robert is right! The V 10 WILL happen. My ///M6 will employ it yeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww
:thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
heres a fun thing to ponder: v10 making ~500bhp/ smg3 / all wheel drive?!!!

that last part is a guess by me. supposedly BMW will offer AWD as an option throughout the entire 5er range. Does that mean M5? my gut says no, but you never know..................

as for looks- expect BMW to continue the shock campaign. I have a feeling the 5 will be more palitable than the 7er but it will come from the same design tree.......... Im actually looking forward to the 7 technology trickling down to the 5.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Looks like it's time for that E60 section! All those news popping up!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
The V10 500hp M5 is coming out.... Eat your heart out supercharged E55 :thumbsup: :haha:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Someone PLEASE answer Chris's question:

"OK, for you mechanics out there, I'll ask it again. How will a new V-10 with the same displacement as the current V-8 (5L) generate more power? "

I'm curious too how it's possible to get 100 more hp out of it with same displacement.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Dallas Spikes said:
Why only 5L with the V-10? What's the advantage to adding 2 cylinders if the displacement remains the same essentially?

Also, don't want to rain on the parade I'm a part of, but I expect delays and I'm sure it will take longer to reach the US.
Hello Chris,

I think that the advantage of making more smaller cylinders is that you can significantly raise the redline, and the power. The M5 is not very impressive in terms of horsepower per liter, compared to (say) a Honda S2000, and one of the reasons is that it revs so slowly.

I would *NEVER* get the first model year of the E60 M5. It sounds like it will come out slightly early as a '04 model. So, I would have to wait until the '05 or possibly even '06 model year---I want to be sure that they work out all of the bugs. This should be good timing, because I have a 2002 M5.

·
Registered
728 Posts
petesamprs said:
Someone PLEASE answer Chris's question:

"OK, for you mechanics out there, I'll ask it again. How will a new V-10 with the same displacement as the current V-8 (5L) generate more power? "

I'm curious too how it's possible to get 100 more hp out of it with same displacement.
You could easily get 600hp out of 5L with no turbo---ask Honda how they get 240 out of 2L. hmmm

I'm physicist, not a mechanic, but let me guess:

The rough power would be proportional to the product of engine displacement, V, the rate at which it turns, f, and the amount of air/fuel that one can jam inside a cyclinder, given by boost (P/Po). So, power = constant * V * f * (P/Po)

Increasing the displacement makes V bigger, so you get more power.

More cyclinders makes f larger, so you get more power. (The S2000 can turn at 9000 RPM, and a F1 car can turn at 18000.)

Adding a supercharger makes P larger, so you get more power (and Po is the ambient air pressure).

Did this help?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts